The Canon EOS R5c is coming in the first quarter of 2022 [CR2]

I have seen anecdotal reports of the R5's hotshoe being a common fault ie physical breakage (Facebook R5 Shooters group). My 5Div could be held by the 600EX easily but I am very cautious to do so with my R5 but reports were that Canon would replace without charge. Clearly the camera shouldn't be held in this way but a demonstration of the sturdiness of the old mount.
Hopefully the new multipurpose hotshoe won't have the same issues especially as there will be more stuff hanging from it.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sony's FX3 is $3,900, so hopefully the R5c also comes in under the $4k mark. It really should, as it seems its only improvements over the R5 are unlimited record times and the electronic hot shoe. Timecode is already pretty accessible with something like tentacle sync. And candidly there's no reason the current R5 shouldn't already have unlimited recording in 1080p and non-HQ 24fps 4k. All other competing mirrorless cams offer unlimited record times at this price point, so it does feel like Canon has held back adding that in firmware to justify an R5c. Long record times are more appealing in non-raw anyway. C-Log2 and internal ND's (even just a single 3-stop or 6-stop filter would be welcome) and would make it much, much more compelling. An internal ND would make the R5c sing and stand out in its segment.
I won't count on that, I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive than the R5

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Unlimited 8k? No thanks. What about unlimited 1080 and 4k?
One would assume if it could do 8k unlimited (no overheating) then it could also do the 1080 and 4k modes unlimited. I guess only time will tell for sure. If your question was about recording limits, I would assume it would be all or nothing - meaning they all have the 30min limit or none of them do. But again, time will tell.
I won't count on that, I'm pretty sure it will be more expensive than the R5
I'll guess $4500. Just a guess.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
I have seen anecdotal reports of the R5's hotshoe being a common fault ie physical breakage (Facebook R5 Shooters group). My 5Div could be held by the 600EX easily but I am very cautious to do so with my R5 but reports were that Canon would replace without charge. Clearly the camera shouldn't be held in this way but a demonstration of the sturdiness of the old mount.
Hopefully the new multipurpose hotshoe won't have the same issues especially as there will be more stuff hanging from it.
I've seen people in that group complain about the hot shoe and I have absolutely no idea what they're doing with their cameras. I shot over 200,000 images on my R5 over the last year and maybe 50-80,000 of those were with a heavy Flashpoint V1 attached to the hot shoe - I've personally never had an issue. So when I see all these people breaking them, I have to ask what they were doing and never get a sensible reply to justify their trustworthiness or simple incompetence. I don't believe the hot shoe on the R6 and R5 to be any lower quality than previous 5D and 6D cameras.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
We've been holding out on upgrading our gimbal EOS R at work awaiting the EOS R5C. We mainly shoot 1080p to be honest, so it hasn't been a pressing issue, but we're definitely interested in a more video centric option with unlimited record time and the upcoming XLR adapter. The R3 would be a definite option, but the gimbals definitely work better with the smaller bodies.

That said, on the personal end of things after picking up the R3 I'm more excited to see lenses get announced than cameras. A 35mm f1.2 or 1.4 would be nice, and I'd love to see a 300mm 2.8 or similar prime or zoom come out for the RF mount. I hope they announce some lenses with it!
Wondering what lenses are in store as well to pair the thr R3 I’m waiting on.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
We've already moved to the RF Mount in my office, with the C70 and EOS R being our primary b-roll cameras. Our photographer uses an R5 already as well. Additionally, like I said about the R3 option, we far prefer the smaller form factor of the EOS R and R5 to a gripped camera when using a handheld gimbal, so the 1DC would just be adding even more weight/volume over the R3 even.
I would imagine that whatever replaces the RP will have unlimited 1080p.
If you need two card slots then you might have to wait for the R6 Mark II.

Upvote 0
Sony's FX3 is $3,900, so hopefully the R5c also comes in under the $4k mark. It really should, as it seems its only improvements over the R5 are unlimited record times and the electronic hot shoe. Timecode is already pretty accessible with something like tentacle sync. And candidly there's no reason the current R5 shouldn't already have unlimited recording in 1080p and non-HQ 24fps 4k. All other competing mirrorless cams offer unlimited record times at this price point, so it does feel like Canon has held back adding that in firmware to justify an R5c. Long record times are more appealing in non-raw anyway. C-Log2 and internal ND's (even just a single 3-stop or 6-stop filter would be welcome) and would make it much, much more compelling. An internal ND would make the R5c sing and stand out in its segment.
Tentacle sync is expensive, fiddly at times. You need real time code.

Upvote 0
I'd rather have it perform better in lowlight when shooting 4K than a higher resolution such as 8K. Canon needs an answer to the A7S III / FX3.
The 4khq beats the a7s3 4k easily. There is no need to answer the a7s3. If you see the reviews the complaint was overheating. Most of the reviews said the 4khq was better

Upvote 0