The Canon EOS R5c is coming in the first quarter of 2022 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The long-rumored Cano EOS R5c is reportedly still expected to be announced in the first quarter of 2022. Original rumors placed an announcement for January 2022, but I can’t confirm that will be the case.
The source did say certain retailers are being told to expect the camera to be announced in Q1 of 2022 with availability coming soon thereafter, but likely in limited quantities.
Pricing is still unknown obviously, but I have been told that it will cost “significantly less” than the Canon Cinema EOS C70, which is currently priced at $5499 USD.
Canon EOS R5C Information

45mp full-frame sensor (Same as the EOS R5)
DIGIC X
Canon Log 3
Canon Log 2 is still being discussed
Unlimited 8K30P recording in Cinema RAW Light. XF-AVC and MP4
Timecode in/out
The same multipurpose hot shoe as...

Continue reading...

Reactions: 1 user

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
We've been holding out on upgrading our gimbal EOS R at work awaiting the EOS R5C. We mainly shoot 1080p to be honest, so it hasn't been a pressing issue, but we're definitely interested in a more video centric option with unlimited record time and the upcoming XLR adapter. The R3 would be a definite option, but the gimbals definitely work better with the smaller bodies.

That said, on the personal end of things after picking up the R3 I'm more excited to see lenses get announced than cameras. A 35mm f1.2 or 1.4 would be nice, and I'd love to see a 300mm 2.8 or similar prime or zoom come out for the RF mount. I hope they announce some lenses with it!

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0
The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like a box camera design. Not sure if it will be the "hybrid" many were/are hoping for. Price will determine almost everything. While 8K/30 is nice, it certainly is not 100% necessary all the time. Solid 4K/6K recording with higher frame rates would be sufficient for many.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
We've been holding out on upgrading our gimbal EOS R at work awaiting the EOS R5C. We mainly shoot 1080p to be honest, so it hasn't been a pressing issue, but we're definitely interested in a more video centric option with unlimited record time and the upcoming XLR adapter. The R3 would be a definite option, but the gimbals definitely work better with the smaller bodies.
An old 1DC would get you 1080p with no record limit

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
  • The LCD has been moved further back to accommodate the cooling fan. So this likely means that it won’t recess into the body like the Canon EOS R5.
This is a realy realy big detail in my opinion. Not being able to swivel the screen on the current R5 while using an HDMI cable/cage is very limiting.

45mp would be very nice. If its less than the R5, I think I will stick to my R5s, because I do a lot of photogaphy. But if its 45mp, I guess I will switch one R5 for an R5c

Upvote 0
We've been holding out on upgrading our gimbal EOS R at work awaiting the EOS R5C. We mainly shoot 1080p to be honest, so it hasn't been a pressing issue, but we're definitely interested in a more video centric option with unlimited record time and the upcoming XLR adapter.
I've use 1080p on the R5 many times and it has very good quality 1080p. The EOS R's 1080p is muddy af compared to the R5's 1080p.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Seems to be great news!
I like to take photos and videos with my currently three EOS M50 (2 of them mark ii) but C70 might be interesting for 4k if that matters and the XLR inputs to get much better audio.
While C70 is presumably excellent for video it is really bad for taking photos and I do not like to lug too much. Maybe R5c is a great solution.
Hopefully it has something like 2 ... 24 fps to make time lapses with high flexibility!
So a good reason to buy some ultra wide lens from EF land to use R5c with the variable ND filter adapter and dump some money before inflation eats it up :)

Upvote 0
  • The LCD has been moved further back to accommodate the cooling fan. So this likely means that it won’t recess into the body like the Canon EOS R5.
This is a realy realy big detail in my opinion. Not being able to swivel the screen on the current R5 while using an HDMI cable/cage is very limiting.

45mp would be very nice. If its less than the R5, I think I will stick to my R5s, because I do a lot of photogaphy. But if its 45mp, I guess I will switch one R5 for an R5c
It'll probably just be protruding out like the C70

Upvote 0
Sony's FX3 is $3,900, so hopefully the R5c also comes in under the $4k mark. It really should, as it seems its only improvements over the R5 are unlimited record times and the electronic hot shoe. Timecode is already pretty accessible with something like tentacle sync. And candidly there's no reason the current R5 shouldn't already have unlimited recording in 1080p and non-HQ 24fps 4k. All other competing mirrorless cams offer unlimited record times at this price point, so it does feel like Canon has held back adding that in firmware to justify an R5c. Long record times are more appealing in non-raw anyway. C-Log2 and internal ND's (even just a single 3-stop or 6-stop filter would be welcome) and would make it much, much more compelling. An internal ND would make the R5c sing and stand out in its segment.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Why would the resolution be different than the R5 given its the same sensor?

Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
An old 1DC would get you 1080p with no record limit

We've already moved to the RF Mount in my office, with the C70 and EOS R being our primary b-roll cameras. Our photographer uses an R5 already as well. Additionally, like I said about the R3 option, we far prefer the smaller form factor of the EOS R and R5 to a gripped camera when using a handheld gimbal, so the 1DC would just be adding even more weight/volume over the R3 even.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
[...] C-Log2 and internal ND's (even just a single 3-stop or 6-stop filter would be welcome) and would make it much, much more compelling. An internal ND would make the R5c sing and stand out in its segment.
Would be definitely great but I think this isn't easy to implement in a R5-ish body because you have to shift the filter by roughly 38mm sidewards (or 26mm downwards/upwards) and need some mm for the mechanics
... but while I write this ...
why not use a 1 stop filter flipping in from above, a 2 stop filter flipping in from below and both make a three stop thing?
.... no, flange distance etc to low. doesn't work. ...
except you can do a more complicated movement of the filter ...
Maybe only EF lenses with the variable ND filter adapter will help ...

Upvote 0