New information about the upcoming Canon EOS R5C [CR3]

jvillain

EOS RP
Sep 29, 2018
Thanks. First, it seems like something that could hopefully be addressed with a firmware update. Second, it seems like something I don’t care about because I don’t shoot video on my ILCs (but definitely a problem for people who do).

I don't give a hoot what you do with your camera. This is a thread about the R5C so I suspect some one is going to try to shoot video with it. Could it be fixed with a firmware update? I suspect yes. Has it been? The new firmware is out and the answer is no.

…said the guy who stated that @LogicExtremist posted a pair of indistinguishable images because he failed to look at them closely enough to tell them apart.

You clearly don't understand what those images were supposed to demonstrate. Dithering isn't it..

neuroanatomist

I post too Much on Here!!
CR Pro
Jul 21, 2010
You clearly don't understand what those images were supposed to demonstrate. Dithering isn't it..
I understand very well, thanks. Can't say the same for you, though. But that wasn't really my point. To review, here are the images:

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 12.55.14 PM.png

Now, here's what you said about the images:
The images don't do what yu are hoping though becuase every one is looking at them on 8 or 10 bit monitors so they both look the same.

Please show us your clear understanding of how those two images look the same. Because to anyone with a functional brain behind their eyes, those two images are different.

Reactions: LogicExtremist

Finn

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 6, 2021
A lot of photographers hate the S1H body
Who cares?

It has a nice screen implementation for video. I wish R5C would have something like this. Best of both worlds of a tilt and a flip forward when you needed that.

Finn

EOS M6 Mark II
Mar 6, 2021
A lot of cinema cameras use Peltier coolers including the C70, FX3, and Komodo.
Oh yeah?... You don't know what you are talking about. Peltier cooling (thermoelectric) is insanely inefficient and causes condensation when humid air is present.

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
I don't give a hoot what you do with your camera. This is a thread about the R5C so I suspect some one is going to try to shoot video with it. Could it be fixed with a firmware update? I suspect yes. Has it been? The new firmware is out and the answer is no.

Maybe I have to explain the obvious, the link I provided from where I sourced the images explains it in even more detail, but as a summary, absolute black and absolute white are absent on the second image, please take a closer look. The black missing from the darker shades might be a bit harder to discern but the highlight end missing white is very clear. Not sure what you're using to view the images. Neuro is correct here. Hope this helps!

Aug 30, 2021
Whatever this ends up being priced at is guaranteed to make the Cinema EOS C70 look like the steal of the century... The R5 is amazing but it's no cinema camera, and just shooting 8k doesn't make it a cinema camera either. The #1 thing that gives "cinema cameras" their look is the dynamic range and the C70 has it and the R5 doesn't. Unless the R5c has a new sensor with 16+ stops like the C70 in which case it will be worth it. So you'll have the "cinema body" in super 35 with the C70, and probably for the same price, a FF R5c with 8k and 16+ stops of DR. If you're hard core about video it would be worth it to you to have an R5c then. But, if the R5c is simply an R5 with a fan... no thanks.

Last edited:
Reactions: Finn

Gazwas

EOS RP
Sep 3, 2018
Unless the R5c has a new sensor with 16+ stops like the C70 in which case it will be worth it.
Stranger things have happened. We never thought the R5 would be as amazing and feature laden before the announcement.

There is a new FF DGO, 8K sensor with 17 stops of DR rumoured for the C500S so who knows what Canon will do.

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Stranger things have happened. We never thought the R5 would be as amazing and feature laden before the announcement.

There is a new FF DGO, 8K sensor with 17 stops of DR rumoured for the C500S so who knows what Canon will do.
If Canon does with the R5C what they did with the R5, then they will probably deliver a hybrid camera that does awesome video, better than any other Canon hybrid, but with a catch. It will also feature some badly thought out, half-assed, gimmicky stills photography feature that doesn't work properly, and that will strangely become the main marketing point in an over-hyped, misguided advertising campaign which ignores what the camera does really well! :ROFLMAO:

Let's hope Canon's "new ideas" team and marketing team, that bought us the stupid multi-function bar on the EOS R, and the almost useless overheating 8K video on the R5, don't balls it up this time round! :rolleyes:

David - Sydney

EOS R
CR Pro
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
No one trusts an engineer.
That unfortunately includes the product design team
Well, the product marketing team didn't do a great job with the R5 announcements for high bit rate video. Maybe the engineers could have done more (besides leading the market with the first 8k hybrid) and subsequently improved it even more with firmware updates. Still the only hybrid that can record 8k raw in 12 bit if you need it. The Z9 will have 8k60 next year though but only 10 bit at release.
The main engineering issue is that the Digic X is less efficient compared to Sony's processors. The CIPA results and heating in general coupled with practically the same battery capacity shows a marked difference. Maybe Digic XI will use a smaller lithography process to improve this issue.
I resemble that remark.JPG

Last edited:

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Well, the product marketing team didn't do a great job with the R5 announcements for high bit rate video. Maybe the engineers could have done more (besides leading the market with the first 8k hybrid) and subsequently improved it even more with firmware updates. Still the only hybrid that can record 8k raw in 12 bit if you need it. The Z9 will have 8k60 next year though but only 10 bit at release.
The main engineering issue is that the Digic X is less efficient compared to Sony's processors. The CIPA results and heating in general coupled with practically the same battery capacity shows a marked difference. Maybe Digic XI will use a smaller lithography process to improve this issue.
View attachment 201245

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Compared to which Sony processors? When one generalizes it often the case that no supporting data realy exist and that one is merely speculating. Post your side by side sensor data of the processors you state efficiencies for. CIPA is not an international engineering standard.

Last edited:

koenkooi

EOS 5D Mark IV
CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
Compared to which Sony processors? When one generalizes it often the case that no supporting data realy exist and that one is merely speculating. Post your side by side sensor data of the processors you state efficiencies for. CIPA is not an international engineering standard.
I think the idea comes from observing the Sony A1 doing 8k without showing an overheating warning and the R5 doing 8k, but with an overheat warning. Same thing for oversampled 4k.

I'm not saying that's a valid way of determining efficiency :)