The Canon EOS R5c is coming in the first quarter of 2022 [CR2]

One would assume if it could do 8k unlimited (no overheating) then it could also do the 1080 and 4k modes unlimited. I guess only time will tell for sure. If your question was about recording limits, I would assume it would be all or nothing - meaning they all have the 30min limit or none of them do. But again, time will tell.

I'll guess $4500. Just a guess.
yes 4250$-4500$ is a good guess!

Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
An internal ND would make the R5c sing and stand out in its segment.

Built-in ND -- a video production concept. But there's no call for 8K in the video world. In the film production world, where we actually might use 8K, ND is usually accomplished with matte box filters. And there are some very nice lens-attached variable ND filters out there.

Timecode -- again, a video concept but increasingly used in film. Since I can use a sync box (Tentacle, Denecke, TB Ultrasync 1, etc) onto an audio track I'd rather Canon didn't waste the space or money putting it in the camera. Besides, post software like Pluraleyes covers a lack of timecode fairly well.

Additionally, the Ninja 5+ gives me an external monitor, unlimited 8K recording & a wireless TC option. It'll be interesting to see if the new full size HDMI port allows more codecs to output to the Ninja.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 29, 2018
Built-in ND -- a video production concept. But there's no call for 8K in the video world. In the film production world, where we actually might use 8K, ND is usually accomplished with matte box filters. And there are some very nice lens-attached variable ND filters out there.

Timecode -- again, a video concept but increasingly used in film. Since I can use a sync box (Tentacle, Denecke, TB Ultrasync 1, etc) onto an audio track I'd rather Canon didn't waste the space or money putting it in the camera. Besides, post software like Pluraleyes covers a lack of timecode fairly well.

Higher resolution gives you more room to stabilize, re frame, level the horizon or crop. Every one that knows what they are talking about would rather have internal NDs that they can select with a button rather than faffing with filters in a matte box.

Time code goes back to before digital video even existed. Take a look at the NASA moon videos what do you see in the lower corner that looks like a clock but strangely the last number counts to 24? Syncing analog tape to film via time code has been going on forever. If they can afford to put a high precision clock in a Tentacle sync or a BMPCC for 1/3 the price of an R5C then I don't see why the R5C shouldn't have it. And for the record, having the time code in the metadata rather than eating up an audio track is a far better solution.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
A good day for Canonite's if Canon can deliver on this and keep price $5000 - $6000, have to thank Nikon for this on their aggressive pricing of their Nikon Z9 - likely to force Canon and Sony to be price and spec competitive as possible.
With the supply shortage, Nikon is arguably not gaining very much by underpricing the Z 9.
They probably still would sell everyone they can make anyway.
There really is no need for Canon and Sony to lower prices.

Upvote 0

filmmakerken

EOS R, EOS 10, FTb
CR Pro
Apr 12, 2020
Virginia
www.cinefoundry.com
Higher resolution gives you more room to stabilize, re frame, level the horizon or crop. Every one that knows what they are talking about would rather have internal NDs that they can select with a button rather than faffing with filters in a matte box.

Time code goes back to before digital video even existed. Take a look at the NASA moon videos what do you see in the lower corner that looks like a clock but strangely the last number counts to 24? Syncing analog tape to film via time code has been going on forever. If they can afford to put a high precision clock in a Tentacle sync or a BMPCC for 1/3 the price of an R5C then I don't see why the R5C shouldn't have it. And for the record, having the time code in the metadata rather than eating up an audio track is a far better solution.
"Every one that knows what they are talking about..." I've been shooting/producing video and film for almost 40 years, I know what I'm talking about.

The use of filters & matte boxes are common except in EFP & ENG. One might argue it's superior quality. Internal ND is for convenience and speed. More importantly, perhaps, is that the form factor of the RF mount leaves very little room between the back of the lens and the imaging sensor to put internal ND. And Canon already makes and EF to RF adapter with built in ND.

I get what you're saying about using an audio channel for TC. But I've worked with a lot of very expensive cameras where the TC drift is far more pronounced than even a Tentacle. Even on a Arri or a Red we strap a sync box to feed the internal TC. But yes, the option to feed the R5c TC from my Ultrasync 1 into a TC port rather than an audio channel is more elegant and saves time in post.

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
hmmmmm IBIS?? they seem to bring out 2nd version cameras that outdo the predecessor but leave certain key fetaures out that would knock the competition out of the park.

4:2:2 10 bit FHD, 4K and 8K....and Ibis...hopefully they learn from the mistakes in the past
Are you saying this new R5C won't have IBIS like the regular R5?

I'd not heard this part before....

cayenne

Upvote 0
The more that comes out about this, the more it sounds like a box camera design. Not sure if it will be the "hybrid" many were/are hoping for. Price will determine almost everything. While 8K/30 is nice, it certainly is not 100% necessary all the time. Solid 4K/6K recording with higher frame rates would be sufficient for many.

Especially considering their new VR lens. 30fps is useless for VR, at any resolution, 60 is the bare minimum, with 90 and 120 much more acceptable.

Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
The 4khq beats the a7s3 4k easily. There is no need to answer the a7s3. If you see the reviews the complaint was overheating. Most of the reviews said the 4khq was better
Not in lowlight it doesn't. I literally just shot with both of those cameras during a night shoot at 4am. The a7s III is a far superior lowlight camera. The R5's high megapixel sensor cannot compete with the a7s III's larger photosites.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This may be a dumb question but if this camera only has a few improvements which are seemingly just fixes of the shortcomings of the R5, shouldn't this just be a replacement for the R5? Perhaps they can't from a PR perspective but it seems a bit absurd to include things that probably should have just been included in the first place and mark up the price.

Upvote 0
This may be a dumb question but if this camera only has a few improvements which are seemingly just fixes of the shortcomings of the R5, shouldn't this just be a replacement for the R5? Perhaps they can't from a PR perspective but it seems a bit absurd to include things that probably should have just been included in the first place and mark up the price.
This is a little similar to more focussed variants of a camera such as the astro version.
If other photographers are seeing this in a similar way to us we wouldn't want the R5c.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

A Cine camera implies a camera aimed at video shooters not a hybrid. People have mentioned ND filters but it can be some fairly simple things. Audio ports upgraded to XLR. More mounting holes on the body. Handles for those mounts. If they change the form factor they can use the battery from the C70.

Very few stills shooters would want any of that and even many hybrid shooters wouldn't if it made the camera less stills friendly.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0