Confirmed: Canon EOS R5c to be announced next month [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
The long-rumored Canon EOS R5c is going to be announced in mid-January I have been told. It’s safe to say that the camera will be announced sometime between January 11, 2022, and January 18, 2022.
Retail availability will begin 6-8 weeks after the announcement. I’m beating a dead horse here, but the chip shortage will still be playing a role in stock levels.
Canon EOS R5C Information

45mp full-frame sensor (Same as the EOS R5)
DIGIC X
IBIS
Canon Log 3
Canon Log 2 is still being discussed
No Internal NDs
Unlimited 8K30P recording in Cinema RAW Light. XF-AVC and MP4
Timecode in/out
The same multipurpose hot shoe as the EOS R3. Which will work with accessories such as the Tascam XLR module.
Active cooling
3/8″ or 1/4″ mounting point on the EVF for a top handle that won’t interfere with the hot...

Continue reading...

As a hybrid shooter who does photo & video within seconds of each other on wedding days, I'm not that impressed.

If you're going to go vented and sacrifice weather sealing, then it needs at least some cinema features beyond timecode (which will never be used in a hybrid photo/video environment) such as internal NDs. The 1Dc was great because it could handle shooting in a downpour, but with this R5c I'll have to worry about a tiny drizzle. I'd prefer a normal R5 with unlimited 1080p and non-HQ 4k recording (100% possible with firmware) over one vented that gives me unlimited HQ & raw.

I love that Canon is attempting to straddle the photo/video fence here, but my feeling is meh. It should honestly be priced at $3,900, as you're trading weather sealing for some basic video features that competitors already offer in sealed bodies (unlimited record times up to 4k). Maybe the unlimited 8k and raw recording is appealing to enough people that the price can be pushed to $4500? It's certainly a minority of professional videographers/cinematographers who'd make use of that. Though maybe I'm just shortsighted here. Unlimited 8k recording is pretty significant when I think about it. Maybe I take it all back haha. Damn I'm probably going to buy one.

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

H. Jones

Photojournalist
Aug 1, 2014
As a hybrid shooter who does photo & video within seconds of each other on wedding days, I'm not that impressed.

If you're going to go vented and sacrifice weather sealing, then it needs at least some cinema features beyond timecode (which will never be used in a hybrid photo/video environment) such as internal NDs. The 1Dc was great because it could handle shooting in a downpour, but with this R5c I'll have to worry about a tiny drizzle. I'd prefer a normal R5 with unlimited 1080p and non-HQ 4k recording (100% possible with firmware) over one vented that gives me unlimited HQ & raw.

I love that Canon is attempting to straddle the photo/video fence here, but my feeling is meh. It should honestly be priced at $3,900, as you're trading weather sealing for some basic video features that competitors already offer in sealed bodies (unlimited record times up to 4k). Maybe the unlimited 8k and raw recording is appealing to enough people that the price can be pushed to $4500? It's certainly a minority of professional videographers/cinematographers who'd make use of that. Though maybe I'm just shortsighted here. Unlimited 8k recording is pretty significant when I think about it. Maybe I take it all back haha. Damn I'm probably going to buy one.

The EOS R3 already provides unlimited HQ 4K record times in a fully weather-sealed body complete with access to XLR adapters through the new hotshoe, and flip-out screen. It's a very viable alternative if weathersealing is a huge concern. Granted, it's more expensive, but there's definitely trade-offs to adding or removing any features.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The EOS R3 already provides unlimited HQ 4K record times in a fully weather-sealed body complete with access to XLR adapters through the new hotshoe, and flip-out screen. It's a very viable alternative if weathersealing is a huge concern. Granted, it's more expensive, but there's definitely trade-offs to adding or removing any features.

The R3 is a great camera but unlimited record times is a feature Sony & Panasonic offer in all their weather-sealed hybrid cameras at the $2500+ price point. Hoping Canon competes.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My guess is that the only significant changes to the body will be:
  • bulkier rear plate to accommodate the cooling fan
  • extended EVF eyepiece
Undoubtedly there will be significant changes to the menu system, and probably waveform and other additions to the EVF.

I also think that Canon are clever enough to design a cooling system that will not adversely affect weather-sealing.

Just my opinion, of course...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
The R3 also overheats in the highest recording settings just like the R5 and the R6 (in some situations)... Just saying...
It takes an hour to overheat in 4K 60.
4K 120 overheats in a few minutes.
However, the recovery time is a lot faster than the R5 and R6.
It should not be an issue for most hybrid scenarios.

Upvote 0

The R5 overheats in 1080p?

News to me.

Has this actually happened to anyone?

Upvote 0
The R3 is a great camera but unlimited record times is a feature Sony & Panasonic offer in all their weather-sealed hybrid cameras at the $2500+ price point. Hoping Canon competes.
So go and work with Sony or Panasonic and live with their tradeoffs.
Oh.. I forgot, Sony is the perfect camera with no compromises...

Upvote 0
  • extended EVF eyepiece
Undoubtedly there will be significant changes to the menu system, and probably waveform and other additions to the EVF.

I also think that Canon are clever enough to design a cooling system that will not adversely affect weather-sealing.

Maybe an C70 like housing?

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
  • extended EVF eyepiece

I doubt that, putting a 3/8th and 1/4 mounts on the top plate that doesn’t interfere with the hotshoe functionality would necessitate a complete body redesign, throw in the active cooling and I can’t see the R5C looking anything like the R5, and certainly not sharing any body parts.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I doubt that, putting a 3/8th and 1/4 mounts on the top plate that doesn’t interfere with the hotshoe functionality would necessitate a complete body redesign, throw in the active cooling and I can’t see the R5C looking anything like the R5, and certainly not sharing any body parts.
I suspect it will be very very close to R5. We will know soon dear Private.

Upvote 0