Canon USA teases the Canon EOS R5c announcement

My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.
This is exactly the camp I'm in.

I'm in need of a second RF body, and if this proves to be an R5, but with some added upgrades as mentioned, it makes perfect sense for me.

That said, I definitely don't need 8k. So if this ends up being an insane amount more $$$, I'll probably just order an R5.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
It won’t be cheap. I wonder who buys them. With cameras for photographs you see an enthusiast group who produce great work but video standards are relatively poor. Generally it could be shot on anything given the content. I’m surprised there hasn’t been more niche TV production with good actors / scripts using this type of gear on a low budget but making it big time. Image quality is great, content tends to be the issue.
Cinema lenses are extremely expensive so getting a slightly cheaper cinema camera doesn't make much difference, probably still spending $50-100K on gear for low budget set up so if your budget is tight renting the gear probably makes more sense.
Cracks me up seeing YouTubers using R5 and Ninja ,etc for talking head videos in 8K which they could shoot with a smartphone and no one would notice the difference (or care) especially as most viewers are watching on a mobile device anyway.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Cracks me up seeing YouTubers using R5 and Ninja ,etc for talking head videos in 8K which they could shoot with a smartphone and no one would notice the difference (or care) especially as most viewers are watching on a mobile device anyway.
Someone on another forum told me it’s all about future proofing. I guess when smartphones have 6K displays and built-in 8K projectors, all those foolish influencers shooting in 4K will lose the huge audience that likes to view dated YouTube videos. Or something. Probably means I should delete the SD footage of my teenager’s first steps – that format sure wasn’t future proof. :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
It’s a hot mess. Want NDs? Get a C70… want full frame and raw? Get a R5C… want CLog 2… C300MkIII… maybe just buy a Red and get consistent codecs and color science? I’m really not liking this omission of features. NDs belong on the Cinema line. It’s a bit ridiculous to leave it out. This is purely done in the interest of segmentation.

Seems all you gain is a fan and timecode over the R5.
So you have a problem with Canon not putting ND filters in a cinema camera then suggest people buy Red cameras instead - who consistently don't put NDs in their cameras

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Why? Once you combine the two images you are out resolving current VR headsets, but the resolution will come.

(1) you are not out-resolving current FPS headsets since most are ~110 degrees FOV and you need 180 of coverage; (8K) is sufficient, the problem is that 30 fps is woeful for a VR experience.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
(1) you are not out-resolving current FPS headsets since most are ~110 degrees FOV and you need 180 of coverage; (8K) is sufficient, the problem is that 30 fps is woeful for a VR experience.
The Oculus Quest II has 1832x1920 pixels per eye, just under 4k combined.

30fps might not be up to gaming requirements but for a great many more mundane uses it is more than fine. My interest is remote real estate viewings and the 30fps is well up to that.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
So you have a problem with Canon not putting ND filters in a cinema camera then suggest people buy Red cameras instead - who consistently don't put NDs in their cameras
I’m taking about Canon when referring to NDs, not Red. I believe Red is more considerate/logical in their segmentation as of late. The most painful point with Canon is the color science is inconsistent throughout the range. Canon Cinema line cameras generally have built in NDs… clearly Canon are taking a page from Sony’s FX3 by omitting them. Not a smart move imo.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m taking about Canon when referring to NDs, not Red. I believe Red is more considerate/logical in their segmentation as of late. The most painful point with Canon is the color science is inconsistent throughout the range. Canon Cinema line cameras generally have built in NDs… clearly Canon are taking a page from Sony’s FX3 by omitting them. Not a smart move imo.
I know you said generally, but the other Cinema EOS camera based on an ILC, the 1D C, also lacked NDs. So this should not come as a surprise.

Upvote 0
Someone on another forum told me it’s all about future proofing. I guess when smartphones have 6K displays and built-in 8K projectors, all those foolish influencers shooting in 4K will lose the huge audience that likes to view dated YouTube videos. Or something. Probably means I should delete the SD footage of my teenager’s first steps – that format sure wasn’t future proof. :rolleyes:
hehe :)

YouTubers concerned about „future proofing“ shouldn’t worry about the format they’re shooting in but instead about the quality of their content. Imho, I really don’t think that anybody will be watching old outdated YouTube posts in the because there’s just so much crappy stuff on YouTube… therefore, no need to „future proof“.

Meaningful and high-quality content always survives and is watched years - heck sometimes decades - later. For example: people still watch great movies from the 70‘s/ 80‘s or 90‘s even if it’s SD definition or worse. Bad movies (low quality content) never survives and will be forgotten from our collective memory…even if it’s in 8k…

Upvote 0
My question is, as a hybrid shooter who is 95% photo, but that 5% of video is very demanding (long format, highest resolution/DR/color accuracy preferred), will this be a better option for me as a 2nd body, than a 2nd R5 or other stills body + Ninja V+ on my existing R5. Or maybe I keep the Ninja and rent this when I would ideally shoot long format video on a tripod and stills in my hands but stick with owning 1 body.
I was just thinking the exact same thing.

Upvote 0
Not to have 6K 60fps would be a huge fail for this camera. 8K 30fps it worthless for VR, and 4K is behind the times by about 3 years.
"8K 30fps it worthless for VR"

worthless? don't you think thats exaggerating? lol. 6k is fine and 4k is workable. The issue isn't so much the resolution, but the quality of the screen goggles in your headset most of the time.

Upvote 0
It’s a hot mess. Want NDs? Get a C70… want full frame and raw? Get a R5C… want CLog 2… C300MkIII… maybe just buy a Red and get consistent codecs and color science? I’m really not liking this omission of features. NDs belong on the Cinema line. It’s a bit ridiculous to leave it out. This is purely done in the interest of segmentation.

Seems all you gain is a fan and timecode over the R5.

Upvote 0