New information about the upcoming Canon EOS R5C [CR3]

C70 is super 35 sensor though.

Just giving an R5 active cooling won't make the already excellent R5 a much better video camera.

Canon really needs to stop messing about and give us all what we really want rather than playing around pimping out stills cameras.

A compact RF cine camera, FF sensor with ND, full size HDMI, time code and SDI outputs and it would sell by the boat load. The modularity of C300/C500's are great and their size with large lenses is a big plus but we don't all need that or shoot for TV where stuff like that matters.
I mean the formfactor of a compact hybrid stills-video camera won't accomodate mecanics needed for internal VND filters. And I think ND and mechanical shutter simply can't live together inside the RF mount.

If you need internal ND, SDI, XLR, full HDMI - Canon has you covered with Cinema Line of cameras for professional work :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The trouble with photo style hybrid video cameras is how difficult they are to rig.

There is no way it will have anything more than 3.5mm microphone inputs and certainly no phantom power. Standard camera batteries just don't last very long and can only power the camera so that means adding more stuff to get it to work as a decent video camers. Adding more stuff without it being a box style camera or a much bigger camera (like C70) then makes it a much worse stills camera IMO.
You've forget about digital hotshoe input, that will accomodate Tescam XLR adapter without any cables.
R5C will be perfect FF B-cam for gimbal work to match Canons FF Cine line.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
The trouble with photo style hybrid video cameras is how difficult they are to rig.

There is no way it will have anything more than 3.5mm microphone inputs and certainly no phantom power. Standard camera batteries just don't last very long and can only power the camera so that means adding more stuff to get it to work as a decent video camers. Adding more stuff without it being a box style camera or a much bigger camera (like C70) then makes it a much worse stills camera IMO.
If you’re truly doing hybrid work in the moment, then rigging it wouldn’t be ideal anyways. Who’s going to want a video rig when taking photos with it? Literally shooting photos and then switching over immediately after.

At most have a quick release top handle that doesn’t block the hotshoe for a flash trigger.

You can make it a great video option by adding internal ND’s, mini xlr, time code, dual cf express, and full hdmi. I don’t think this setup would be the size of the C70. They can do it smaller, like a mixture between the R5 and C70. Be no different than a 1DX size at most.

Upvote 0
If you’re truly doing hybrid work in the moment, then rigging it wouldn’t be ideal anyways. Who’s going to want a video rig when taking photos with it? Literally shooting photos and then switching over immediately after.

At most have a quick release top handle that doesn’t block the hotshoe for a flash trigger.

You can make it a great video option by adding internal ND’s, mini xlr, time code, dual cf express, and full hdmi. I don’t think this setup would be the size of the C70. They can do it smaller, like a mixture between the R5 and C70. Be no different than a 1DX size at most.
DSLR Video Shooter (aka Caleb) has shown "ultimate" rigs for hybrid stills cameras, where you can quickly pull off camera body from the entire rig and do some still shooting.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
You've forget about digital hotshoe input, that will accomodate Tescam XLR adapter without any cables.
R5C will be perfect FF B-cam for gimbal work to match Canons FF Cine line.
Why would a hybrid R5C be more perfect than, for example, a Super-35 C50 or C90 expressly designed for B-cam usage and gimbal work and actually part of the Cine line? I mean that as a serious question.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Why would a hybrid R5C be more perfect than, for example, a Super-35 C50 or C90 expressly designed for B-cam usage and gimbal work and actually part of the Cine line? I mean that as a serious question.
It wouldn't and I think the obsession of it being a hybrid would be wrong. The R5 is already the perfect hybrid camera and is equally great on a gimbal, or shooting landscapes stills.

A C line R5C will be video focused and offer very little over the current R5 other than unlocking the 30 mins limit and better control of internal temp.

Upvote 0
Mar 6, 2021
Active cooling does not compromise internal weather sealing of the body. Only a fan is somewhat exposed.
S1H achieves this and does a pretty good job. Damn, thinking about it now I wish I could get R5C in a S1H body with that awesome flip and tilt screen combo.

the flip screen on the c70 sucks.

C70 is super 35 sensor though.

Just giving an R5 active cooling won't make the already excellent R5 a much better video camera.

Canon really needs to stop messing about and give us all what we really want rather than playing around pimping out stills cameras.

A compact RF cine camera, FF sensor with ND, full size HDMI, time code and SDI outputs and it would sell by the boat load. The modularity of C300/C500's are great and their size with large lenses is a big plus but we don't all need that or shoot for TV where stuff like that matters.
You just described the C70 with a speedbooster minus RF glass.

The fact that they are holding back clog2 sounds like they are very worried this will step on the toes of the c70. But honestly it sounds like it doesn’t offer that much over the R5 if it has the same FSI 45MP sensor.

IMHO, the R5C needs to be what the FX3 is to the A7SIII. Get rid of the evf, put on a bright high resolution lcd, and a cooling solution.

Knowing Canon if they do release this FF cinema light camera then a FF C90 probably isn’t that far off. With the 6K BSI sensor from R3, internal ND, and clog2 maybe RAW.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Its impossible to squize an ND into mirrorless compact ff body. And Canon already has C70 )
BS: DJI managed to include NDs in the X9 camera. And that camera has a changeable mount which can be swapped out to accommodate Sony E-mount lenses with electronic controls. And it in a gimbal ffs.

Upvote 0
BS: DJI managed to include NDs in the X9 camera. And that camera has a changeable mount which can be swapped out to accommodate Sony E-mount lenses with electronic controls. And it in a gimbal ffs.
X9 is hybrid stills camera? Dont think so. You forget about mechanical shutter and IBIS in R5.

Upvote 0
It wouldn't and I think the obsession of it being a hybrid would be wrong. The R5 is already the perfect hybrid camera and is equally great on a gimbal, or shooting landscapes stills.

A C line R5C will be video focused and offer very little over the current R5 other than unlocking the 30 mins limit and better control of internal temp.
Exactly… It’s definitely possible

Upvote 0
Now that the Nikon Z9 is in the wild, Canon had better find a way to include both internal ProRes and ProRes Raw. It’s all well and good shooting 8K, but you need to be able to manage that footage in post. ProRes and ProRes Raw work very well on the new M1 macs.
Nikon has zero cinema cameras, Canon has 10 years of making C-line. And who in a clear mind would by a pro STILLS body (Z9) for a professional video work? It's just make little sence.
Nikon has nothing to offer / cannibalize in video field, so it pumped its pro sport/repotr stills camera with video features.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
S1H achieves this and does a pretty good job. Damn, thinking about it now I wish I could get R5C in a S1H body with that awesome flip and tilt screen combo.

the flip screen on the c70 sucks.

You just described the C70 with a speedbooster minus RF glass.

The fact that they are holding back clog2 sounds like they are very worried this will step on the toes of the c70. But honestly it sounds like it doesn’t offer that much over the R5 if it has the same FSI 45MP sensor.

IMHO, the R5C needs to be what the FX3 is to the A7SIII. Get rid of the evf, put on a bright high resolution lcd, and a cooling solution.

Knowing Canon if they do release this FF cinema light camera then a FF C90 probably isn’t that far off. With the 6K BSI sensor from R3, internal ND, and clog2 maybe RAW.
That’s not what the FX3 is… Sony got rid of the excellent EVF, but burdened the FX3 with the same sad rear display that is on the A7S3. Worst still… it’s 4:3 aspect ratio, not the expected 16:9 that a video camera should have.
I hope Canon puts a 16:9 screen that articulates in a similar fashion to the one in the Panasonic S1H. Also, it must have NDs. Don’t tell me it can’t be done… DJI figured it out… surely Canon can also? And ProRes Raw! It’s 2021… give us a codec that can actually be worked with in post.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
I mean the formfactor of a compact hybrid stills-video camera won't accomodate mecanics needed for internal VND filters. And I think ND and mechanical shutter simply can't live together inside the RF mount.

If you need internal ND, SDI, XLR, full HDMI - Canon has you covered with Cinema Line of cameras for professional work :)
Well, unless Canon does not plan to use the RF mount on the future C300, C500… etc… it stands to reason that they engineered it to be compatible with internal NDs. Either that or the Cinema line will no longer have internal NDs.
For this reason I’m 100% certain that the RF mount can… and will accommodate internal NDs

Upvote 0
That’s not what the FX3 is… Sony got rid of the excellent EVF, but burdened the FX3 with the same sad rear display that is on the A7S3. Worst still… it’s 4:3 aspect ratio, not the expected 16:9 that a video camera should have.
I hope Canon puts a 16:9 screen that articulates in a similar fashion to the one in the Panasonic S1H. Also, it must have NDs. Don’t tell me it can’t be done… DJI figured it out… surely Canon can also? And ProRes Raw! It’s 2021… give us a codec that can actually be worked with in post.
DJI put NDs in a specialy constructed "body", and it has no mechanical shutter, IBIS and tightly packed electronics like R5 has. Placing an internal ND means reconstruction of R5's internals at the bayonet side (both body shape and optical), so its just may be not financially feesable.

Upvote 0
Well, unless Canon does not plan to use the RF mount on the future C300, C500… etc… it stands to reason that they engineered it to be compatible with internal NDs. Either that or the Cinema line will no longer have internal NDs.
For this reason I’m 100% certain that the RF mount can… and will accommodate internal NDs
Everything is possible, one just has to create the whole new body, not trying to retrofit it to existing stills camera. Trust me, i'm an engeneer ^)

Upvote 0

...A C line R5C will be video focused and offer very little over the current R5 other than unlocking the 30 mins limit and better control of internal temp.

So essentially the R5C will, for many people, solve the main issue with the R5 for video usage? An R5 with no recording limit or overheating sounds like exactly what many people want.

I've used the R6 on a shoot, and after a bit of usage I was convinced to get one, until it overheated a few minutes later. Barring that, I'd have an R6 by now, and I'd assume many people feel the same about the R5.

Last edited:
Upvote 0