Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

SilverBox

I'm not new here
CR Pro
Aug 30, 2018
I don't know - adding another modes might be nice, but I still have gripes, with how messy all those modes are.

- The old school servo tracking is exactly that - well, old school. Working against the logic of other modes. I don't want my camera to refocus when I move it, I want it to lock on the subject and track it. So in single point mode, no servo for me.

- Face tracking mode - default setting is useless for most users - no initial point displayed? So you are basically waiting for a camera to choose something from the scene to jump onto? This is a joke. So for face tracking mode, the servo mode feels better, at least to both me and my wife.

So, from focus and recompose, we've got ourselves to focus, track and recompose.

Canon would do themselves a favor by changing the default settings of the camera, for sure.

If AF Operation is set to Servo AF (AF menu 1) and Initial Servo AF pt for Face [] is set to anything except auto (AF menu 5), then you have old school servo with focus and recompose subject tracking.

Add those as default and, god forbid, back-button AF, and you're in business.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

slclick

EOS 3
Dec 17, 2013
I never needed such a dinosaur of then gone DSLR area while using modern mirrorless cameras.

In my life a focus point does not represent anything needed for perfect exposure, nothing!
Because dslr's went out with churning butter, horse drawn carriages and proper sentence structure.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Sep 3, 2018
Please Canon give me more flexibility. I want to be able to map all controllers in Fv mode (don’t need the rear one to select parameters when there are four wheels on the camera).
Let me also chose drive modes or silent shooting with one button. I don’t know why these are not allowed.
Add to that better/more options for button customisation.

That big depth of filed preview button that I've never used is crying out to be used as a REC button in video mode.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I thought it is a good feature. Why don't you appreciate it? Thx.
Metering locked to a focus point isn't of much interest to me for the way I shoot - full manual (Fv) adjusting the exposure from what I see through the evf. When I am doing a bird in flight against a background I don't want the exposure changing during a burst, and I want in general when its flying or perched without the highlights bleached or the body too dark when backlit. With my DSLR, I used to have the mode dial set up for different levels of over- or under-exposure and I'd switch between them. The WYSIWYG exposure through an evf is a real plus for me as I have realtime control, and I use it for all my shooting and not just birds.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I never needed such a dinosaur of then gone DSLR area while using modern mirrorless cameras.

In my life a focus point does not represent anything needed for perfect exposure, nothing!
Evaluative metering (at least on a DSLR) usually gives you this with a BIF against the sky:

Screen Shot 2021-11-16 at 11.16.43 AM.png

Haven't shot that use case on my EOS R, do MILCs expose for the bird in that scenario, or do you rely on several stops of shadow lifting?

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Evaluative metering (at least on a DSLR) usually gives you this with a BIF against the sky:

View attachment 201231

Haven't shot that use case on my EOS R, do MILCs expose for the bird in that scenario, or do you rely on several stops of shadow lifting?
With my R5, for BIF shots against a blue sky, I find that partial (manual) metering from the sky, and about plus half a stop of compensation usually does the trick.

Using any kind of automatic metering (P, Av, Tv) is unreliable, as the exposure will then be affected as the background changes (to clouds, clear sky, or forest) while panning.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2020
I'm pleased that Canon continues to offer firmware updates for improved performance. But like several other users, I'd like more flexibility in the assignment of button functions. In particular, I do not use any of the features currently assignable to the RATE button. It would be nice to have more flexibility in assigning that button's function.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0