Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

Dec 13, 2010
Spot metering tied to focus point would be a godsend for shooting a subject in front of a bright background with flash. Think of a portrait at sunset. All you see currently through the EVF is a silhouette because the auto-exposed preview when using flash just balances for the overall scene. Impossible to see your subject’s expression. It’s even more annoying in a candid situation where you need to time your shots like reception toasts in front of a bright window. You can use spot metering but it only helps if you compose with the subject dead center of the frame.
With flash and portrait you shoot M and turn off exp.sim (y)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
That depends on the flash setup. Sure, if you’re using a single flash on the camera for fill then you set the camera exposure for ambient. But with many of my shoots, all the light is from strobes (4-5 of them), including background. With that setup (low ISO, narrow aperture, shutter of 1/200 or slower), ‘ambient’ is essentially black.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
I don't know - adding another modes might be nice, but I still have gripes, with how messy all those modes are.

- The old school servo tracking is exactly that - well, old school. Working against the logic of other modes. I don't want my camera to refocus when I move it, I want it to lock on the subject and track it. So in single point mode, no servo for me.

- Face tracking mode - default setting is useless for most users - no initial point displayed? So you are basically waiting for a camera to choose something from the scene to jump onto? This is a joke. So for face tracking mode, the servo mode feels better, at least to both me and my wife.

So, from focus and recompose, we've got ourselves to focus, track and recompose.
I may be mis-reading your comment here.. but think what you want is in the Auto Focus (pink) menu, page 5. Initial Servo AF pt for :) you can set the initial point for face detect.

26:31

I basically put square in middle, and then click to focus on the face/bird and then move to compose as the subject moves.. it tracks.

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
very happy to see them continue to improve the AI on focus and continue to provide updates for it.

wish they still had better ways to control the IBIS.. its not bad, just wish better esp on turning it off and just allowing lens IS on sometimes. I think IBIS has minor conflicts sometimes with 3rd party lens IS and panning (e.g sigma 150-600)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Apr 25, 2011
I think it's kind of odd that Canon didn't/ doesn't release any firmware updates for the R/ RP. Yes, I know, being released in Oct. 2018 and spring 2019 means they're basically outdated. But since there have been no successors to both models yet and Canon has released several affordable consumers lenses and probably is going to add the RF 24mm and maybe the RF 18-45mm soon, it would make great sense to show both cameras some love and give them a slight upgrade. Especially the R has a great value with current pricing, with a small firmware update Canon would surely boost its sales.

There's not much that needs to be done there:
- 8 FPS with full auto-focus maybe
- improved eye-AF
- 4k 60 FPS

One of these three suggestions would make for a great firmware update. (and the other ones for update No. 2 & 3 :)
I'm afraid, you are asking for a hardware update here.

Eye-AF already works great for humans, and is pretty reliable for cats and dogs.
Most of the time it works on birds too.
But it’s completely useless for hippos and warthogs.
And zebras. Those stripes fool the eye-AF.
Doesn't even work reliably on wild boars.

Upvote 0

Pixel

CR Pro
Sep 6, 2011
Eye-AF already works great for humans, and is pretty reliable for cats and dogs.
Most of the time it works on birds too.
But it’s completely useless for hippos and warthogs.
And zebras. Those stripes fool the eye-AF.
I want warthog eye-AF and I want it now.
No excuses.
I can't wait for the press release that says Canon is proud to announce that warthogs and hippos are now fully supported.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
FW updates for those models might just be as high on the list as updating the T2i for Canon. I know we all have our personal wish lists from Canon but I'll refer you to Neuro for snarky retorts on atypical selfish requests.
I agree with this sentiment, but the request for focus bracketing on the EOS R is ... a bit different to that. It already exists on the 5Div (ie the same sensor as the EOS R - so no Q of a hardware deficiency), it was introduced (I think via a FW update!) on the lower level EOS RP, and this bracketing function on every other FF mirrorless is supported in a half-decent focus stacking function in DPP! But, at this stage, I guess it's more about whether there will be any more FW updates for the EOS R at all rather than for particular functions ...

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
If you’re in Fv mode, have ISO and shuttter speed set to fixed values and aperture set to Auto, then use exposure bracketing, wouldn’t that give you aperture bracketing?

I haven’t tried it, but in Fv with fixed ISO and shutter, applying EC changes the aperture so AEB should do that as well.
I have tried that, but I don't want the exposure to bracket when I do this. I want to have a fixed exposure (such as -1/2) and whatever aperture bracket I specify.
In an ideal world, you'd have the option to bracket any major feature, and even allow multiple brackets to combine with each other, and have the filename add a few characters at the end to indicate what was bracketed for each photo.

But thanks for the feedback.

Upvote 0
Oct 22, 2014
I never needed such a dinosaur of then gone DSLR area while using modern mirrorless cameras.

In my life a focus point does not represent anything needed for perfect exposure, nothing!

Your comment reads as though it's someone's idea of a joke, it's hard to tell.

Spot metering is great for various instances. There's a reason it's survived all of these years. And even more so, I've found a lot of use for it in video work. Especially when recording scenes with an intense light in one spot that I want to specifcally meter for. It works incredibly well for that. Or under certain lighting setups while photographing people with an intense difference in lighting conditions and I want to only expose for a specific point instead of the camera trying to guess where I'm exposing. I don't know, seems to work the best for me.

That's just my use-cases. But again, you're not me or anybody else. Get over yourself.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have tried that, but I don't want the exposure to bracket when I do this. I want to have a fixed exposure (such as -1/2) and whatever aperture bracket I specify.
In an ideal world, you'd have the option to bracket any major feature, and even allow multiple brackets to combine with each other, and have the filename add a few characters at the end to indicate what was bracketed for each photo.

But thanks for the feedback.
Makes sense. But then, I have to ask about your statement that ‘you can bracket a lot of things’. Other than exposure, and more recently focus, what can you bracket automatically?

FWIW, I’ve done plenty of aperture bracketing when doing lens test. A dial clicked in one direction, the other dial clicked in the opposite direction, shoot, repeat.

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
Metering locked to a focus point isn't of much interest to me for the way I shoot - full manual (Fv) adjusting the exposure from what I see through the evf. When I am doing a bird in flight against a background I don't want the exposure changing during a burst, and I want in general when its flying or perched without the highlights bleached or the body too dark when backlit. With my DSLR, I used to have the mode dial set up for different levels of over- or under-exposure and I'd switch between them. The WYSIWYG exposure through an evf is a real plus for me as I have realtime control, and I use it for all my shooting and not just birds.
I shoot AV. And focus point metering is huge for me. :)

Upvote 0

SereneSpeed

CR Pro
Feb 1, 2016
Please tell me exp.sim works with a flash in the hotshoe?!?

With the EOS R as soon as anything sits in the hotshoe, the camera refuses to show exposure simulation and just shows a ‘basic’ exposure. For me, balancing LED lights, ambient light, and strobes, exposure simulation with a controller in the hotshoe would be a dream scenario...

Last edited:
Upvote 0