Vehicle AF and more coming to the Canon EOS R5 and Canon EOS R6 in December firmware update

rbielefeld

CR Pro
Apr 22, 2015
You may have seen a few people posting on the internet. And most concerned with the video mode. But NOT requesting your concern in Canon Customer Support. Thats where it counts. 20 FPS is the Max shutter speed in continuous. Not the minimum. You wont have many photos if you simply released that shutter button. Its very simple to do. Muscle memory. Train yourself not to hold it down so long or take it out of continuous. Not hard to do. You do not have to squeeze off 20fps in continuous. Simple not the case. You can squeeze off 1-20 FPS. Its not an entry level camera. Its Easy Peasy to squeeze 1 - 3 frames once you get used to doing it. Just because your auto speedometer has maximum of 180mph doesnt mean you have to hold your foot down. Same principle.
It is not about being able to "pulse" the pressing of the shutter button. Of course I can do that. For me it is about shooting birds in flight and other action situations with wildlife. I want a continuous burst of images without pulsing the shutter button, but I don't need 20fps for all scenarios. Some scenarios I would like to have 10fps while holding doing the shutter button continuously. This will allow a longer continuous set of images before I have to worry about hitting the buffer and my fps dropping to just about zero until the buffer dumps. Overall, it is always nice to have options.

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

rbr

Sep 11, 2010
Add to that better/more options for button customisation.

That big depth of filed preview button that I've never used is crying out to be used as a REC button in video mode.
To each his own. I love that DOF button on the R5 and one of the best features on the R5. I use it every time I pick up the camera and find it easier to use by leaps and bounds over having to press that damn button on the Canon DSLR's.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

HikeBike

R6
CR Pro
Feb 6, 2019
Maryland, USA
Explain vehicle AF to me and why you would find it useful. Right off, I have never had trouble focusing on a car, so I can’t imagine what this might do.
It tracks a moving vehicle, allowing you to more easily compose the photograph. Great for motorsports photography.

Upvote 0
To each his own. I love that DOF button on the R5 and one of the best features on the R5. I use it every time I pick up the camera and find it easier to use by leaps and bounds over having to press that damn button on the Canon DSLR's.
In stills that's ok but video its useless. However, thanks to @Juangrande its now a big, fat and much easier to find and press record button!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
...Train yourself not to hold it down so long or take it out of continuous. Not hard to do. You do not have to squeeze off 20fps in continuous. Simple not the case. You can squeeze off 1-20 FPS. Its not an entry level camera. Its Easy Peasy to squeeze 1 - 3 frames once you get used to doing it. Just because your auto speedometer has maximum of 180mph doesnt mean you have to hold your foot down. Same principle.
Not the "Same principle." If every time you touched your accelerator, NO MATTER HOW LIGHTLY, the car leapt to 180 mph, your analogy would be valid. Imagine trying to park the car!

I can't believe anybody who has had the R5 hasn't tried light, quick bursts in electronic shutter mode. But it sure takes a lot of practice, and being aware, while really focused on wildlife or athletes, of how many images are being collected in such a short time. And one must be very careful in all the "pulsing" or "feathering," or whatever technique is used, not to be jerking the camera. When an AF point is on one athlete in a cluster of athletes fighting for a soccer ball, or scrambling down the field for the ball, it would wonderful to not worry about it.

Of course 20 fps can be managed to an extent. But why imply that real, or skilled (or whatever the standard is) photographers shouldn't be asking for a slower option? It's a pretty common wish on this and other forums.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I want a continuous burst of images without pulsing the shutter button, but I don't need 20fps for all scenarios. … Overall, it is always nice to have options.
Historically, Canon has reserved those options for the 1-series bodies that offer much more customization. My 1D X has H and L frame rates and I can customize those to be H=2-12 and L=1-11. IIRC, the 1D X III has H, M and L options. The R3 takes a step in that direction since it offers fixed choices of 30, 15 or 3 fps, but I expect that Canon will reserve full user-selectable frame rates for the R1.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
Historically, Canon has reserved those options for the 1-series bodies that offer much more customization. My 1D X has H, M and L frame rates and I can customize those to be H=3-14, M=2-13 and L=1-12. The R3 takes a step in that direction since it offers fixed choices of 30, 15 or 3 fps, but I expect that Canon will reserve full user-selectable frame rates for the R1.
This suggests to me that Canon sees the ES frame-rate options as something advanced photographers (and not just heavy-fingered amateurs) would like to have. Maybe they will someday trickle down to less costly bodies.

Upvote 0

YuengLinger

Print the ones you love.
CR Pro
Dec 20, 2012
USA
I wish canon would fix playback of photos taken in portrait mode. I just don’t get why the image can’t be auto rotated during playback :(
Unless I'm misunderstanding you, Canon cameras have had Auto-Rotate for years. For the R5, look on page 757 of the English version of the Advanced User Guide (which can be downloaded from Canon USA or Europe, etc.).

Or pick up your camera and go to the Set-up menu (the one with the little wrench icon), then look at the options under Tab 1.

Upvote 0
You mean, change the playback display based on the camera orientation during playback?

Otherwise, it's already there since at least 5D mark II.
Ugh. You are right. I had auto rotate on. As soon as I turned it off now, it works like I’d like it to. Where is that ‘embarrassed’ emoji :)

Upvote 0
I'm afraid, you are asking for a hardware update here.
Suggestions 2 & 3 should not require hardware updates. Others Companies and Canon have delivered such updates for other models.
But I honestly don't know whether it is possible or not to improve the 8 FPS without full autofocus to 8FPS with full auto focus via firmware. That might require a hardware updaten...

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Great to see updates for the R5/R6 & 1DXiii , making them more competitive with Sony and Nikon's latest and greatest.
The R3 auto focus looks to be the best in the industry so if these updates bring the others up to a similar level it'll be very good for sales of the R5&6 especially.
One customisation option I'd like to see is for those of us that prefer back button focus to be able to set the the half press shutter to fire single shots and full press for high speed bursts.
It would be great to click away single shots for perched birds and if they take off to be able to shoot a fast burst

Upvote 0
Can you say wow? What an insane list of updates for the R5. Looking forward to seeing what this does for my camera. I've been contemplating R3 or a second R5 for my wedding business as I no longer want to use the R as my second camera. If this update pans out I'll do the smart thing and go with 2x R5's. As much as I want an R3 the 24MP sensor is even less than my EOS RP, lol. I know the R3 is probably better than the R5 but... the R5 getting even better might be all I need right now.

Upvote 0
One customisation option I'd like to see is for those of us that prefer back button focus to be able to set the the half press shutter to fire single shots and full press for high speed bursts.
It would be great to click away single shots for perched birds and if they take off to be able to shoot a fast burst
I'd definitely second you for that suggestion - would love it!

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
...For me it is about shooting birds in flight and other action situations with wildlife. I want a continuous burst of images without pulsing the shutter button, but I don't need 20fps for all scenarios. Some scenarios I would like to have 10fps while holding doing the shutter button continuously...

What's wrong with mechanical shutter?

Upvote 0