Show your Bird Portraits

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Nope...the naysayers were right...24mp just isn't enough for birding! ;)

I wish for all of you an exciting, adventurous and fulfilling New Year! It's been a privilege these past 12 months to learn so much here at CR, and to see the images you've shared. I'm thankful for the opportunity to share a few of my own from time to time. :) Here's my final submissions for 2021, taken the day after Christmas. R3 + RF 100-500 + 2x TC

Yellow-rumped Warbler
R3_100_2447_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

Carolina Chickadee
R3_100_2551_DxO_C1_Web.jpg

Reactions: 15 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Nope...the naysayers were right...24mp just isn't enough for birding! ;)

I wish for all of you an exciting, adventurous and fulfilling New Year! It's been a privilege these past 12 months to learn so much here at CR, and to see the images you've shared. I'm thankful for the opportunity to share a few of my own from time to time. :) Here's my final submissions for 2021, taken the day after Christmas. R3 + RF 100-500 + 2x TC

Yellow-rumped Warbler
View attachment 201867

Carolina Chickadee
View attachment 201868
Yep, you definitely wasted your money Henry, 24mp !!!! What were you thinking? :ROFLMAO:
Do you think it works better with T.Cs ? Is the AF still pretty snappy ?
Does the R3 acquire focus well for birds in flight ?
Happy New Year Henry :cool:

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
The year ended with sunshine after weeks of rain and cloud. No birds close but I got a distant Great Crested Grebe with the 100-500 +RF 2x on the R5. It was pretty windy and the water was rough. The eyeAF is really useful for these type of shots where a small swimming bird is difficult to maintain focus on at a distance using point focus.

309A1391-DxO_RF_600-1000mm_Great_Crested_grebe.jpg

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

HenryL

EOS R3
CR Pro
Apr 1, 2020
Yep, you definitely wasted your money Henry, 24mp !!!! What were you thinking? :ROFLMAO:
Do you think it works better with T.Cs ? Is the AF still pretty snappy ?
Does the R3 acquire focus well for birds in flight ?
Happy New Year Henry :cool:

Hi Chig,

TLDR - I've been lazy and haven't put in sufficient effort to really figure this camera out. :(

It definitely drives the lenses faster compared to the R5 and acquires focus faster in general. I've got a mixed bag of results with BIF, but in all honestly that's mostly on me not the camera. Single bird shots, yeah it will lock on and track it no problem. Flock of hundreds of snow geese...I was sooo confused trying to pick one out! but that's fully my fault haha.

Truth be told, I'm struggling a bit to master the new tracking features - as a result I can get good results tracking, but not consistently. I've had limited outings with it, and haven't paid much attention to what I do each time out when I do get the good result. This is easily the most capable camera I've owned, but I'm kind of stuck in my old ways and not taking advantage of it's advanced tracking, etc. Trying to force myself to do it, but...well...old dog, new tricks, ya know?

Still, no regrets or reservations at all. I've enjoyed it from day one, for portraits and easier subjects the output is fantastic. It's the BIF and things like that where I need to put in the work - and I will. Soon. Really. No kidding. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year, Chig!

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Happy New Years birding clan! It's been fun to listen, watch and learn from all of you. I hope 2022 brings us all a bit of a refreshing breather and more great bird photo opps. Here's a few photos from our PNW Christmas weekend winter storm that made for a great opportunity to get out and shoot during the winter months here. All taken with the R5 & RF 100-500 @ 500mm f/7.1. DxO is a no brainer for me! Also recently figured out how to load R5 color profiles into Lightroom so that was a bonus Christmas gift to me :)
1. Chestnut Backed Chicadee
2 & 3. Dark Eyed Junco
4. Spotted Towhee
5 & 6. Varied Thrush
7. Song SparrowChestnut Backed Chickadee - K1A5966 - DxO.jpg
Dark Eyed Junco - K1A5850 - DxO.jpgDark Eyed Junco - K1A5899 - DxO.jpgSpotted Towhee - K1A5486 - DxO.jpgVaried Thrush - K1A5675 - DxO.jpgVaried Thrush - K1A5586 - DxO.jpgSong Sparrow - K1A5734 - DxO.jpg

Reactions: 13 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I was driving past a nearby creek and noticed aCommon Merganser family, so I zoomed home to get the new EF 600mm f/4 L III IS USM lens and 1.4TC
It was better to handhold than I expected (with the help of some supportive telephone poles). Although the light wasn't great and I blew out some highlights, using the combo was a joy! Of course a good amount of cropping was till needed. Apparently I need to borrow Click's kayak (and experience).IMG_4510.jpgFemale Merganser 4440.jpegJuvenile Merganser 4446.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Hi Chig,

TLDR - I've been lazy and haven't put in sufficient effort to really figure this camera out. :(

It definitely drives the lenses faster compared to the R5 and acquires focus faster in general. I've got a mixed bag of results with BIF, but in all honestly that's mostly on me not the camera. Single bird shots, yeah it will lock on and track it no problem. Flock of hundreds of snow geese...I was sooo confused trying to pick one out! but that's fully my fault haha.

Truth be told, I'm struggling a bit to master the new tracking features - as a result I can get good results tracking, but not consistently. I've had limited outings with it, and haven't paid much attention to what I do each time out when I do get the good result. This is easily the most capable camera I've owned, but I'm kind of stuck in my old ways and not taking advantage of it's advanced tracking, etc. Trying to force myself to do it, but...well...old dog, new tricks, ya know?

Still, no regrets or reservations at all. I've enjoyed it from day one, for portraits and easier subjects the output is fantastic. It's the BIF and things like that where I need to put in the work - and I will. Soon. Really. No kidding. :rolleyes:

Happy New Year, Chig!
Sounds awesome Henry, try watching some videos by Ron L Bielefeld on YouTube "Whistling Wings Photography" he's just bought an R3 and he's got a video about setting it up
Happy New Year to you too Henry

Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
CR Pro
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
This is a Riroriro (Grey Warble) in a Totara tree in Silverdale Auckland NZView attachment 201846
Great shots, Chig! Are most of the birds you see located only in New Zealand? I just wonder how Darwinism affects birds with different flight ranges over oceans.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0