This is how you downgrade the firmware on a Canon camera

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
The only problem I can foresee is if Canon do not acknowledge there is an issue with 1.5.0
IF there is one. Plenty of people, myself included, have had zero issues with the update. I've done parties and portraits and even birding with absolutely no problems with AF...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
I wonder if any of these issues may be related to any customization that may have been done to the individual camera and the interaction with the software update. I was having crashes fairly regularly that would always be fixed with removing the battery and rebooting. This continued after Canon replaced the motherboard on my camera. I downloaded the 1.5.0 update and my camera became almost nonfunctional--crashing after every 10-20 photographs, terrible focusing abilities--this was while I was at Bosque. The IS would make horrible noises. I was making plans to send it back to Canon insisting that it be replaced because it was so bad. I have to disclose that I had my camera extensively customized with 3 !! back button focus buttons--one for single point, one for eye, and one for zone and had changed the functions of other buttons so that they could easily accommodate my reach. I had also had other Canon pros including Explorers of Light add their modifications to my camera along the way. When I returned from Bosque, I decided as one last desperate try, I would reset the camera to factory settings (except for the My Menu favorites at the end) and start over. I programed a single BBF and changed a dial to modify ISO and now I cannot get my camera to crash on tests I have done around my home with the RF 35 or RF 100-500. Focusing seems to be excellent for the birds around my house. There is no noise that I can hear from the IS unit. There was a comment I read on the forum here that said it was possible to create some conflicts between customization and the software. I now believe that this has been my problem all along and that I owe Canon a big apology.
Catherine
I always wondered how much that could affect things with camera firmware flashes... and why some people have all sorts of problems after a firmware update.

Dealing a lot w/ PC's and motherboard BIOS upgrades... it was always recommended to 'load optimized defaults' after doing a MB BIOS flash. Most of the time, you could get away with not doing that step... however there have been times that skipping it make things run oddly. It's gotten to the point where I now do it (and reload all my settings), because I got sick of dealing with the aftermath of skipping the step.

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
I’ve tried to reset every single thing on my camera to factory. I’ve even loaded up a settings file that came from a working camera, nothing made a difference. So I’m still on the different build vs firmware issues theory. I feel like I’ve tried everything, the only thing left if Canon doesn’t know how or are willing to acknowledge and fix this is to keep sending my camera in trying to have it fixed and then claim a new one after three tries. I’ve paid $6200 for this camera so Im not having “nothing can be done”…

Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
I’ve tried to reset every single thing on my camera to factory. I’ve even loaded up a settings file that came from a working camera, nothing made a difference. So I’m still on the different build vs firmware issues theory. I feel like I’ve tried everything, the only thing left if Canon doesn’t know how or are willing to acknowledge and fix this is to keep sending my camera in trying to have it fixed and then claim a new one after three tries. I’ve paid $6200 for this camera so Im not having “nothing can be done”…
guessing you didnt try the video steps too restore it too normal?

Upvote 0
Rolled back to 1.4.0 and my R5 is reborn.
R5 with 1.4.0 and 1.5.0 are two different cameras.
1.5.0 keep focus-jumping when there have many birds in the frame or solo birds with moderate background. It jumps focus point unreasonably to something else, a bird or a tree, whatever it is, hardly keeps the tracking as constancy as it should be.
Another issue is focus hunting. It happens more than before.
The keep rate for birding from 1.5.0 is simply noticeable lower than previous version.
I noticed immediately the difference from the first BIF shots after downgrade back to 1.4.0, the small box follows the bird all the way from the sky until disappeared in the bushes. It's impossible for 1.5.0 to do this, however I do the settings, it would have already jumped the focus at the halfway.

Canon must have trained R5/6 to recognize more. Not only get to know a vehicle, but also to focus with environment aware. Problem is too good to handle, forgot the stability of focus tracking is more important than what can be tracked.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Big_Ant_TV_Media

Hey Fellow Canon Shooters
Oct 13, 2014
NYC
www.facebook.com
I’m on 1.4.0 now and it works as it should. But it’s not okay that I can’t use 1.5.0.
its canons fault I feel they rushed the new firmware out just for the new video features and the R3 new features that is R5 & R6 users got jealous of
Im hoping they throughly hear out and look at the problems 1.5.0 is causing some of us but at least DOWNGRADING saved us 300-450 dollars sending it too CPS and etc

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
"Be aware that hacks like this one always come with an intrinsic risk of damaging your camera. If you feel you have an issue after a firmware update, in most cases it might be more appropriate to wait for the next firmware version instead of rolling back. In the past, when there have been issues with a firmware release, Canon has always been very swift in releasing a fix." - CanonWatch

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
its canons fault I feel they rushed the new firmware out just for the new video features and the R3 new features that is R5 & R6 users got jealous of
Im hoping they throughly hear out and look at the problems 1.5.0 is causing some of us but at least DOWNGRADING saved us 300-450 dollars sending it too CPS and etc
What makes you think the firmware was rushed?

Upvote 0
What makes you think the firmware was rushed?
yesterday I got two times black sreen of death (R5 + RF 100-500MM F4.5-7.1 L) during AF in 1minute. AF situation in attached file.
BBF, animal, eye detection on *

Attachments

• 271931741_10221501839683945_2313561171579047730_n.jpg
    271931741_10221501839683945_2313561171579047730_n.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 52
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Dec 31, 2021
IF there is one. Plenty of people, myself included, have had zero issues with the update. I've done parties and portraits and even birding with absolutely no problems with AF...

you are old enough to know that if plenty of people do not experience something it is not a proof that this something does not exist ... I found a way to repeatedly freeze my R5 v1.5 for example - meaning I can repeat a certain sequence of actions and freeze the camera every 3-4-5 try (why not every time - because in my situation it is related to a timing of pressing certain buttons with certain functions assigned to them with image review after shot enabled... so as I am not a robot to do a proper timely presses, I only hang my camera every 3rd-4th-5th try - but I do it consistently when I do this)

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
you are old enough to know that if plenty of people do not experience something it is not a proof that this something does not exist ... I found a way to repeatedly freeze my R5 v1.5 for example - meaning I can repeat a certain sequence of actions and freeze the camera every 3-4-5 try (why not every time - because in my situation it is related to a timing of pressing certain buttons with certain functions assigned to them with image review after shot enabled... so as I am not a robot to do a proper timely presses, I only hang my camera every 3rd-4th-5th try - but I do it consistently when I do this)
Can you share what and how so I can see if I can replicated it?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bdbtoys

R5
CR Pro
Jul 16, 2020
Being a programmer... the 'steps to duplicate' are so helpful. So many times, we get a complaint of 'it crashed' but little to no explanation what they were doing (and we do take a stab at attempting to duplicate). The ones that say 'this is what you need to do to repeat the crash' are the ones we take seriously and get a fix out asap. Meaning if you can duplicate it, report it to Canon and something will most likely be done about it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

danfaz

Coffee Fiend
Jul 14, 2015
www.1fineklick.com
you are old enough to know that if plenty of people do not experience something it is not a proof that this something does not exist ...
I don't need to be told "you're old enough to know" something. I said IF there is a problem in my post, I did not say there is definitively no problem. There is no need for smart aleck comments, really. And if I misread your tone, my apologies.
Someone mentioned here or on FB that possibly numerous customizations prior to updating may have something to do with any issues, and a reset fixes it?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

angelisland

Commercial Photographer
Mar 30, 2021
CA and NY
Have people tried changing the settings after updating to 1.5.0?
It seems people thought that they could leave the setting the same after the update...whereas, when I found the AF point to be a bit jumpy after updating, I turned the tracking sensitivity eg. "Switch Tracked Subjects" down a notch from the default of 1, to 0, and all is good.
Anyone else tried this?

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Have people tried changing the settings after updating to 1.5.0?
It seems people thought that they could leave the setting the same after the update...whereas, when I found the AF point to be a bit jumpy after updating, I turned the tracking sensitivity eg. "Switch Tracked Subjects" down a notch from the default of 1, to 0, and all is good.
Anyone else tried this?
I have those in My Menu and change them all the time depending on what I shoot so they can’t change without me knowing it.
Besides, it’s just as bad with everything set to factory or with a set up from a working camera.

Upvote 0

puffo25

EOS R5 - Fine art landscape, travel,astro and pano
Jul 18, 2017
italy
Hi, I own an R5 and although I do not shoot 1000 images on a daily basis I did not find apparently issue so far with firmware 1.5.0. But I might be wrong...
However I am confused with Canon support: if indeed so many users experience issues with the latest firmware, it would be nice to hear an official statement from Canon, in order to avoid speculations: is the current sw buggy or at least can they confirm official that there are maybe random AF (and/or other sort of severe issues?). Maybe why not also say if there is expected an update yes/now, when to eventually fix those issues?
This approach will at least make peace of mind and make people less concern for this current firmware situation....

Upvote 0
Dec 13, 2010
Hi, I own an R5 and although I do not shoot 1000 images on a daily basis I did not find apparently issue so far with firmware 1.5.0. But I might be wrong...
However I am confused with Canon support: if indeed so many users experience issues with the latest firmware, it would be nice to hear an official statement from Canon, in order to avoid speculations: is the current sw buggy or at least can they confirm official that there are maybe random AF (and/or other sort of severe issues?). Maybe why not also say if there is expected an update yes/now, when to eventually fix those issues?
This approach will at least make peace of mind and make people less concern for this current firmware situation....
To quote Dr.Phil; you can’t change what you don’t acknowledge :LOL::LOL:

• Haha
Upvote 0