Canon officially announces the Canon EOS R5 C

If you are a video shooter who needs IBIS, too bad for you. The thing is, Canon markets to the majority. The fact that you want or need something, and that maybe you can find a couple other people on the internet who feel the same, doesn’t mean you’re in the majority.

That’s a tough pill for some people to swallow.
IBIS or not, here we are, remembering how many times you and others on this forum (CC: Mikehit and rrcphoto) put forward the idea that Canon didn't want or care about video in their stills cameras, and was only marketing to the majority, and if people wanted 4K (now) 8K in their still camera bodies, Canon would know (Canon marketing is infallible, they would know if people wanted HQ video in stills bodies, et al.).

Now, finally, we have the R5C, which fulfills the promise to hybrid shooters that Canon made many, many years ago with the 5D Mark II, at relatively low cost. Which proves once and for all, that video belongs in these still camera bodies as part of a hybrid approach. And the world will never be the same. (Lack of IBIS, is of course, probably an engineering necessity in this case.)

Now, Neuro, we go back a long ways, and I know you will protest, so I leave you with a quote:

“Imaging professionals are living in a multimedia world. Gone are the days of only needing to be sufficiently equipped and skilled at video or stills,” said Tatsuro “Tony” Kano, Executive Vice President and General Manager of Canon U.S.A.’s Imaging Technologies & Communications Group.

If only Canon had realized this years ago, they would have never lost FF market share to Sony. Cheers to you and to everyone who fought over video in stills bodies- now that Canon has realized the correct path forward, we never need to debate it again.

I say this with love and respect for the knowledge that you and others otherwise put forward on this forum.

Upvote 0

CanonGrunt

C70
CR Pro
Jan 28, 2012
The 1dx3 is not perfect, but is my favorite camera. They are not trying to protect cinema cameras. They are different beast. Again none of the Canon Cinema cameras have IBIS.

Are you saying my 1dx3 is not a stills camera ready for anything? News to me.

It seems to me canon split the R5 between still centric shooters and video centric shooters. If you are as tills shooter and need IBIS the R5 is great. If you are a video shooter and don't need IBIS the R5C is great.
Canon UK said in an interview that they view the R5 and R5C like this:

The R5 is for someone that shoots 80% stills, and 20% video.

The R5C is for someone that shoots 20% stills, and 80% video.

And if you fall inbetween you might be better off with two different bodies.

So. Make of that what you will. Personally I think I’ll keep saving for an R1 since I have my c70 and R6 for now.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I am in this forum for at least 5 years now and I have only known you praising Canon for anything they do and vehemently defend Canon.
Stating facts, such as Canon is the ILC market leader, is not praise.

When someone claims, “Canon is stupid for omitting (insert someone’s favorite feature here), no one will buy this camera and Canon is d00med,” pointing out the asinine nature of such a claim constitutes a ‘vehement defense of Canon’? If you say so.

That is your assumption, for e.g. I pre-ordered R5C this morning and I cancelled it.
As I said, ‘most people’. Good for you, doing your research.

Upvote 0

Jethro

EOS R
CR Pro
Jul 14, 2018
All of these cameras have reports of lockups. Really bad of Canon to make expensive gear thats flawed.
Wow, you're really dredging the riverbed now, aren't you? If all Canon's recent FFM cameras are so fundamentally flawed from your point of view, maybe you'd be better off with another brand. There are some very good non-Canon bodies out there.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've never had any of my cameras lock up. Just my experience, not saying there haven't been reports.
I did have my R lock up twice, and the R5 has once as well. Both instances were quickly solved by killing power and ejecting the battery, then booting everything back up. Crappy SD cards nearing the end of their life turned out to be the culprit -- they froze my laptop too lol. I know Manny Ortiz had the same issue using incompatible cards with the original R.

I think the R5 has had some strange compatibility issues with certain CFExpress too. In my experience, at least when it comes to Canon, SanDisk ExtremePro is super reliable and problem-free

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
Yet somehow Panasonic has managed to figure out how to provide active cooling and IBIS in the S1H that was released 3 years ago? I’m gonna call BS on Canon’s excuse. Canon also claimed they left out IBIS because video shooters use gimbals. I wonder who’s taking stills on a gimbal?
Apples and oranges. The S1H does not do 6K at 60P, let alone 8K raw at 60P. The processing power required by the Canon is so much higher that a larger heat sink is required.

Upvote 0
Jan 30, 2020
So let's put it a bit differently then.
Say you've driven an older car without a CD player/MP3/SiriusXM/Navigation/etc for years
Now you want to upgrade. You obviously want to upgrade to the latest standards of car technology, right? So why would you buy a new car without all that built in infotainment, even though its now in most cars?
Same applies to IBIS. Its in almost every pro-body ILC. So why omit it here?

Let me ALSO put it another way: Canon did such a good job with IBIS on the R5 that it became the killer app. Now, why would you take the killer app away?

Finally and lastly, if this is a true hybrid, then it must meet photo and video needs. Again, understanding how good Canon's IBIS is, and recognizing that EVERY OTHER Canon R camera will surely get IBIS in the future, how is this particular camera a good solution for photographers who also want good video capabilities? Its not. Its not a hybrid camera.
Hybrid can mean different things. I would say this camera is meant for 75% video, 25% stills. An R5 is closer to 50/50.

Upvote 0
serious question here: Would one of the existing 4k camera with ibis then be better for your needs? Do you need 8k for news/motorcross?
So I own 2 1dc's , 1dxmkiii, r5, 5dsr and a c300mkiii the 1dc's I use mostly for moto photo work as they just work, they worked better than the 1dxmkii that I got rid of and I will use them for long form interviews and things of that nature.

The 1dxmkiii I put on a gimbal from time to time and well its nice but it is cumbersome and only in crop mode cause the full frame is jello heaven I swear bill cosby is in my camera, the r5 which I use on cooler days or if there is rain cause well they run hot and I use for certain instances when I know it will have cooled down enough, the Ibis and DPAFv2 are untouchable for very specific moments, sometimes I like to shoot 50 1.2 on video as it really pulls you in and on the 4k 24hq mode with 50 1.2 you want (and need ) ibis and hot damn it looks amazing. gimbals fail and freak out at times, that r5 ibis does not, people forget every extra thing you attach to a camera is an additional point of failure and when you are running around you don't always want external recorder or a gimbal.

When you work at the AMA Motocross events they are hot and it is Sonys and Panasonic's with a few reds everywhere when it is video being captured, this last year I legit ran into one other guy doing video with the r5 and he had three to use for when one would overheat, People that do work like that don't want a gimbal they want unlimited 4k with ibis in a non -cinema camera form factor, I was hopping to have this r5c replace a few of these bodies and just be on one and pair it up with my c300 for corporate and documentary work that I do but now I'm just like man I got first world problems to the max.

Canon legit became obsessed with this 8k resolution accomplishment and nothing else. I do news work as well and mostly riot coverage and I want to bring the r5 but it cannot be trusted when you are filming a police station burning, Ibis and a fan allow you to get things others cannot. They allow you to use a 135 f2 and have no shakes, for all the work I and many people do in journalism they want 4k master so they can deliver in 2k. No one really wants 8k, I mean we do but the data rates are insane, Arri has proven that amazing 4k is hard to beat.

Did I pre order this camera yes, did i cancel the pre order after reading about the r5Cripple of the video autofocus and the removal of ibis yes I did, Do I want to buy a sony? nope, but I might. So after all that writing that most didn't read I hope people stop blanket statements on what they think others want or what would best help them do their jobs or hobbies, at the end of the day we are all humans and many of us on this forum want to create and see the world and instead of always being know it alls and assholes maybe we could take a moment and think maybe ill try to help this person or build them up instead of tearing them down

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
As someone who's owned a lot of Canon's cinema line, not a fan of the dual OS/menu implementation. The cinema OS is just much slower and less snappy than the photo OS. But the biggest let down is that it doesn't have custom video modes (C1, C2, C3), which will make it much slower to quickly switch multiple settings (frame rate, resolution, crop, etc). On the R5 go from 4k 120 fps 1/250 shutter H265 Clog3 to 1080p 23fps 1/50 S35 crop standard pic profile with 2 button clicks. With the R5c that'll be 10-20 clicks in a menu.

I'm glad Canon made this camera, but just a lot of odd decisions.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
When someone claims, “Canon is stupid for omitting (insert someone’s favorite feature here), no one will buy this camera and Canon is d00med,” pointing out the asinine nature of such a claim constitutes a ‘vehement defense of Canon’? If you say so.

That is too broad of a classification. Not every feature but there are very simple things as I pointed out a full HDMI port on a $4500 USD camera is a problem

As I said, ‘most people’. Good for you, doing your research.

'most people' what data you have to back that claim?

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Upvote 0

robotfist

Cinematographer/Photographer - Canon C300 III
Oct 23, 2017
Los Angeles
Also please note that this continued issue of feature subtraction/crippling is uniquely a Canon issue. I don't know any other company that does this. Certainly, Sony and Nikon do not. They both put their best foot forward in releasing the best products that people want to buy without the need to diminish features. Canon on the other hand keeps on doing the same thing again and again - releasing products with key features subtracted, forcing you to buy MORE products.
I disagree with this statement. Just look at the Sony FX3 for instance. Sony eliminated the evf from the a7s III and priced the camera higher. There’s also no waveform or timecode. The FX3 is an odd camera and I don’t get how it’s the better choice over an a7s III. It’s more expensive but has less features? You pay for more mounting holes, lol. As for Nikon, they have been purposely limiting their video features for YEARS in their cameras. It wasn’t until recently did they come to terms with what modern consumers want, and only because their market share was shrinking. They could no longer ignore including video features in their cameras.

One man’s perfect camera is another man’s disappointment.

Upvote 0
Jul 19, 2011
Well I thinking more like the ibis to be like nikon's with a locking ability. And with an ability to decide to have it turned of and only lens IS on would be nice.
A free flying sensor can't be cooled as efficiently. Not at these data rates.
Among other reservations. I am happy for the chance to buy into a camera without IBIS.

Upvote 0