There are currently 3 EOS R system cameras coming in the second half of 2022 [CR2]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Canon will continue to be aggressive with product launches throughout 2022. They don’t appear to be slowing down due to the global semiconductor shortage. I think after all of this time, Canon may have found some solutions to the problem internally and will continue to plan on the shortages to continue through most of 2022.
There are now 3 EOS R system cameras currently on the roadmap for the second half of 2022, and a very good source has finally chimed in on what we can expect.
There will definitely be an APS-C RF mount camera announced during 2022. While specifications and all of that are obviously not known, the source did mention it is a true hybrid camera. “Maybe a little M50 mixed with some 7D” is how it was described.
A new entry-level full-frame RF mount camera will be announced. It will use the image sensor for the EOS R6, but nothing beyond that is known.
Between the new entry-level...

Continue reading...

cgc

Feb 9, 2016
I bet for the names being:
  • R7 for around 32MP APS-C (great features and speed, crippled sensor and OVF nostalgia plus EVF)
  • R10 for the new full frame bellow R6/R5 with around 32MP (mirrorless 90D successor and R replacement)
  • R100 for a tiny entry-level full-frame with no EVF (mirrorless 850D successor and RP replacement)

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
So the R5s and R1 will not come until 2023... and no APS-C glass ever, or maybe merely only a single kit lens? A single crop camera model does not deserves a entire line of crop glass...

Most of those here who want the crop sensor are using big whites anyway, unless I misread things.

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Yikes, I hope that if they remove the EVF, that they only do it on the cheapest model. Viewing on a little rear screen is OK for people who just want to take snaps, but near-impossible for people shooting sports, action, wildlife or anything requiring careful composition. Heaven forbid that EVF isn't lost from any other models.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
"Between the new entry-level camera and the Canon EOS R6 will be a body with a new image sensor, but a lower pixel count than the Canon EOS R5"

I am still hoping for a less action-/video-centric RII with new ~30MP sensor, R6 ergonomics/buttons (+ shoulder display!) at $2000.

30-35 MP would have been my "sweet spot." But I didn't want 20 more than I didn't need 45...so I got the R5 not the R6. Perhaps this new camera will be a better fit for me; it depends on what features are missing; and it will be missing some or it wouldn't be priced at an R level.

Upvote 0
Dec 25, 2017
Oh, it's so simple: no EVF/OVF no buy for me :D
If its an ultra compact camera like the Sigma FP, I may be interested. Maybe fullframe or APS-C. As long as its offering good quality images, I would be very interested in this for travel/hiking :) EVF may be added on an acessory port, like on the Sigma FP. Which would be an interesting camera for travel, if there where some tiny pancake lenses for that fullframe sensor. Like a 50mm 1,8 pancake or a 35mm 1,8 or a 16mm f2,8 like canon offers.

If we see how tiny they can build lenses for the FF RF cameras (50mm 1,8 or the tiny 16mm f2,8) it would be very interesting to see, how small they can build lenses for an APS-C camera with the RF mount =)

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
So the R5s and R1 will not come until 2023... and no APS-C glass ever, or maybe merely only a single kit lens? A single crop camera model does not deserves a entire line of crop glass...
Well, they have to start somewhere. I would imagine that any future bodies after the first would be predicated on the popularity of that first model. If it meets Canon’s expectation in sales, and there is a demand for at least a few lenses, Canon will make them, particularly if they see enough demand for a line of APS-C bodies.

But other than for compact models, demand for APS-C has waned over the years. How much smaller can an R mount body be? The entire point of that mount was to get it as big as Canon thought practical, much bigger than really needed for APS-C.

I can see an APS-C model that looks, with a large lens on it like a lens with two small grips for the lens sticking out at the rear.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
And where you where did you come up with the idea that there might not be other R APS-C cameras in the future...and no APS-C glass?? Oh, you just made that up and then made deductions from a made up conclusion. I see you are new here. Off to a good start!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I bet for the names being:
  • R7 for around 32MP APS-C (great features and speed, crippled sensor and OVF nostalgia plus EVF)
  • R10 for the new full frame bellow R6/R5 with around 32MP (mirrorless 90D successor and R replacement)
  • R100 for a tiny entry-level full-frame with no EVF (mirrorless 850D successor and RP replacement)
"Crippled sensor"? That, I am unhappy to say, is a new one. Very creative!

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
But other than for compact models, demand for APS-C has waned over the years. How much smaller can an R mount body be? The entire point of that mount was to get it as big as Canon thought practical, much bigger than really needed for APS-C.
Exact same diameter as the EF-mount which I think have worked fine for APS-C.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0