TS-E 17mm new version?

Jan 29, 2011
Hi,
Does anyone know if a new version of the TS-E 17mm is coming out? I ask as it looks like were still on ver 1 of this lens and the 24mm already has a ver 2.
thanks
There will never be a version 2 of the TS-E 17mm. Don't forget the 17 came out in 2009 at the same time as the TS-E 24 II. The MkI 24 came out in 1991 and was long overdue an update.

But the 24 II and the 17 are basically a matched pair with the 24 II getting the same T/S rotation and locks the 17 has, and it got a big optical upgrade over the original TS-E 24.

If you need a TS-E 17 get one now.

Upvote 0
There will never be a version 2 of the TS-E 17mm. Don't forget the 17 came out in 2009 at the same time as the TS-E 24 II. The MkI 24 came out in 1991 and was long overdue an update.

But the 24 II and the 17 are basically a matched pair with the 24 II getting the same T/S rotation and locks the 17 has, and it got a big optical upgrade over the original TS-E 24.

If you need a TS-E 17 get one now.
Ah I had no idea, thanks for the info.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Ah I had no idea, thanks for the info.
You're welcome, some really nice images on your website too (though why are your watch hands at 9:29?).

For architectural work I'd question the need for the 17 over the 24, the 24 is a much 'better' lens and the 17 fov is extreme and generally not very pleasing to the eye architecturally speaking, and don't forget when you need wider you can always shift stitch the 24.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Thanks for that. 9:29 lol you need to get out more, well spotted eagle eye. Someone mentioned you could use the 1.4 extender with the 17 if 17 was too wide. A lot of my spaces are smaller, as you can probably see. Clients generally seem to prefer the sense of space over a little more distortion (hmm I wonder why). T&S zoom lens, maybe one day a genius will work that one out.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Thanks for that. 9:29 lol you need to get out more, well spotted eagle eye. Someone mentioned you could use the 1.4 extender with the 17 if 17 was too wide.
Yes, the TS-E lenses are compatible with Canon's EF extenders. They won't be reported in the EXIF, though.

As for 17mm being too wide, I often find it necessary...but my architectural exteriors are generally of fairly large structures.

"Duomo di Pisa"
Duomo di Pisa.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 13 s, f/11, ISO 400

"Smithsonian Castle"
Smithsonian Castle.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 0.8 s, f/11, ISO 100, HDR

"Rathaus Basel"
Rathaus Basel.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 30 s, f/11, ISO 100

"Cathédrale Saint-Gatien de Tours"
Cathédrale Saint-Gatien de Tours.jpg
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 25s, f/8, ISO 800

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Yes, the TS-E lenses are compatible with Canon's EF extenders. They won't be reported in the EXIF, though.

As for 17mm being too wide, I often find it necessary...but my architectural exteriors are generally of fairly large structures.

"Duomo di Pisa"
View attachment 202455
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 13 s, f/11, ISO 400

"Smithsonian Castle"
View attachment 202457
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 0.8 s, f/11, ISO 100, HDR

"Rathaus Basel"
View attachment 202456
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 30 s, f/11, ISO 100

"Cathédrale Saint-Gatien de Tours"
View attachment 202454
EOS 1D X, TS-E 17mm f/4L, 25s, f/8, ISO 800
I often use the 24mm, but quite often, it isn't wide enough, as you demonstrated with the Saint-Gatien picture. And stitching takes time.
To your list I might add some landscapes, Monument Valley, for instance, or Grand Canyon etc...
Waiting impatiently for the TS 14mm, I hope it will come soon (and I can afford it;)).

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
My most used lens is the TS-E 17mm with 1.4 TC. I got the 17 because I thought I needed the fov, and at the time the market I was shooting wanted, as you say, corner shot with widest angle to make the space look big. Now my clients want much more refined architectural style images often with single point perspective and for that the 24 is much better suited. I practically never use the 17 bare now if the 1.4 isn't on it the 2x TC is. For exteriors I almost exclusively use the TS-E 50even if it means stitching.

If you want to save a lot of money on the TS-E17 the EF 15 f 2.8 fisheye defishes incredibly well!

Upvote 0
I used to have the 2x (latest one) but I wasn't happy with the loss of quality it added so I got rid of it, and I had used it with top quality glass.. but I hear the 1.4 is a lot less of a problem for IQ. For me I think the TS17mm, with a 1.4x is a good compromise. Obviously ideally, Id like them ALLL...NOW.

BYW neuroanatomist I love the example image of the leaning tower of pizza, in a discussion about straight lines lol that image messes with my head.

Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
During 2020 I rented the 24mm version, and later the 17mm. I had really good success shooting with the 24mm. In the ten days I had the 17mm, I never got the hang of it. Interior shots were almost Escher-like. I know there are good photographers who use it all the time. I decided that I wouldn't use even the 24mm enough in real life to buy one. If I ever have a project that could use its help, I rent one again.

Some years back I took interior shots for a realtor. That is the last money I made off photography. I used my T3i and the EF-S 10–24mm lens and got great results.

It is rumored that Fujifilm is developing a tilt-shift lens for their GFX systems. If I were making serious money in architectural photography, I'd likely go that route. I may buy the 100s anyway eventually.

Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
My most used lens is the TS-E 17mm with 1.4 TC. I got the 17 because I thought I needed the fov, and at the time the market I was shooting wanted, as you say, corner shot with widest angle to make the space look big. Now my clients want much more refined architectural style images often with single point perspective and for that the 24 is much better suited. I practically never use the 17 bare now if the 1.4 isn't on it the 2x TC is. For exteriors I almost exclusively use the TS-E 50even if it means stitching.

If you want to save a lot of money on the TS-E17 the EF 15 f 2.8 fisheye defishes incredibly well!
I’ve been considering the TS-E17 for a while now. I never considered it with a TC. After reading various reviews, the opinion of the 17 varies from “sharpest lens ever!” To “ fairly soft in corners once tilted”. I’d like your thoughts, and how IQ is affected with the 1.4TC. Of course, any other observations are welcome.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
I’ve been considering the TS-E17 for a while now. I never considered it with a TC. After reading various reviews, the opinion of the 17 varies from “sharpest lens ever!” To “ fairly soft in corners once tilted”. I’d like your thoughts, and how IQ is affected with the 1.4TC. Of course, any other observations are welcome.
Well it's both, unshifted it is very sharp, as it is with the 1.4. and 2x TC's, plenty sharp enough for commercial architectural work. However when shifted, particularly when shifted a long way, the corners are not very good, but the truth is if you need shifted 17mm what choices do you have? Personally I find whens shifted modestly with a 1.4 TC the IQ. is easily up to commercial architectural image standards.

This is a shifted TS-E 17mm + 1.4TC image.

1644533653914.png

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Well it's both, unshifted it is very sharp, as it is with the 1.4. and 2x TC's, plenty sharp enough for commercial architectural work. However when shifted, particularly when shifted a long way, the corners are not very good, but the truth is if you need shifted 17mm what choices do you have? Personally I find whens shifted modestly with a 1.4 TC the IQ. is easily up to commercial architectural image standards.

This is a shifted TS-E 17mm + 1.4TC image.

View attachment 202459
Thanks for the info and the photo (I still don’t think to type the word “image”). I like the options the 17 + the 1.4 TC give.

Upvote 0
Jan 29, 2011
Thanks for the info and the photo (I still don’t think to type the word “image”). I like the options the 17 + the 1.4 TC give.
I did too which was why I went that route, I figured I could always crop a 17mm image (or use the 1.4) to get a 24mm image but not the other way around! And the truth is the 17mm images photos got me to the point that my clients rarely want anything wider than 24 now, crazy way if looking at it but true....

The biggest drawback with using the TS-E 17 on EF cameras is the filter issue, this is negated by using it on the R cameras and using the filter adapters. But the 'solutions' for the front mount filters on the 17 are not really very practical or cost effective.

But the functionality the TS-E's achieve working with the TC's really is superb, I have the TS-E 17 and the TS-E 50 and both 1.4 and 2x TC's. This small kit gives me T/S functionality at 17mm, 24mm, 34mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 100mm, basically it covers everything....

The TS-E 50 is an unbelievably accomplished lens that is superb for exteriors, product photography, architectural details, 'macro' etc etc.

I know what you mean about photos vs images! I am a transplanted Brit, originally from Sussex, who works mostly in Florida, my clients only talk in terms of images so I have awkwardly adopted the vernacular.

Upvote 0

becceric

CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
I did too which was why I went that route, I figured I could always crop a 17mm image (or use the 1.4) to get a 24mm image but not the other way around! And the truth is the 17mm images photos got me to the point that my clients rarely want anything wider than 24 now, crazy way if looking at it but true....

The biggest drawback with using the TS-E 17 on EF cameras is the filter issue, this is negated by using it on the R cameras and using the filter adapters. But the 'solutions' for the front mount filters on the 17 are not really very practical or cost effective.

But the functionality the TS-E's achieve working with the TC's really is superb, I have the TS-E 17 and the TS-E 50 and both 1.4 and 2x TC's. This small kit gives me T/S functionality at 17mm, 24mm, 34mm, 50mm, 70mm, and 100mm, basically it covers everything....

The TS-E 50 is an unbelievably accomplished lens that is superb for exteriors, product photography, architectural details, 'macro' etc etc.

I know what you mean about photos vs images! I am a transplanted Brit, originally from Sussex, who works mostly in Florida, my clients only talk in terms of images so I have awkwardly adopted the vernacular.
Thanks. I really like the idea of the TS-E 24, but since I find myself all over the place with the 16-35 f/2.8, it seems like the TS-E 17 makes sense. I’ve already had my lovely wife agree to the 600 f/4 III, so a trio of TS-Es would be pushing my luck.

Upvote 0