Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

vjlex

EOS R5
Oct 15, 2011
Osaka, Japan
So probably they will be releasing an R50 to replace the M50 in the future? M50 is a lot cheaper than R7 so there is still a market for M50 unless they replace it with equivalent price range.
Ideally, I think an R50 type body is what I would like as a second body. An RP sized M50 (or XXD) spec equivalent mid-tier APS-C body. I imagine something like this will come along in the next couple years (the sooner the better).

I only have a few EF lens left. While I plan to keep my EF-M 22mm until it falls apart, I would be thrilled if a similar quality and focal length RF pancake lens came along, even if just a slightly wider diameter than the M lens. I would much prefer being able to use all my lenses on all bodies I own interchangeably, instead of the hodgepodge that it is now between EF-M, EF, RF, and my various mount adapters.

Upvote 0

tron

CR Pro
Nov 8, 2011
If after 8 years of waiting for the canon 7dII to take over, it uses an obsolete technology sensor. Not BSI. I think canon will be wrong.
Not so fast.

1st It may not be the same sensor.
2nd. Even if it is (which I doubt) EOS 90D sensor is a major improvement over 7DII's sensor with less noise and significantly greater dynamic range.
3rd. It does not have to be BSI. R5's sensor is not and it is an excellent one.

It all comes to camera's response and AF system.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
M is dead. There will be more APS-C RF Mount cameras that will be the same form factor as the M series we know today. Canon is not spending a single dollar on R&D for the EOS M cameras or lenses now that the PowerShot division is basically 2 guys with red staplers and interns. This switch would be further ahead if it wasn't for supply chain constraints.

The margins aren't in the cameras anyway, so it doesn't matter how many M50's they sell. The margins are in the lenses and we haven't seen an EF-M lens since 2018. We also haven't seen the EOS M series mentioned in quarterly earnings reports in years.
I read that M is no longer in PowerShot divison, so that point seems not valid. I understand it now with the EOS group. What they will do with it, nobody knows. I also read that they will support it so long as it is profitable, but I have seen no commitment to develop it

Upvote 0

Chig

Birds in Flight Nutter
Jul 26, 2020
Orewa , New Zealand
Now I am seriously confused. I learnt here that cropping for reach was the same if done in-camera (APSC) or
in post for image quality. If R7 is the same size as R5, why would a smart company like Canon make R7? This will reveal itself to me eventually, but as of now, I am confused. Perhaps, they will make lighter, cheaper lenses for R7. Then and only then will R7 make sense (assuming the crop theory above is correct.)
R5 with 1.6x crop is 17mp vs this camera has 32.5 mp, almost double and the smaller sensor will produce less heat, IBIS has more room to move for better stabilisation, less data so better speed and of course it'll be priced similar to R6 so should sell plenty and still make good profit margin.
Birders like myself would still use it with long telephotos.
Hope it's a BSI stacked sensor

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I agree that Canon's best option is to go RFS and discontinue M line. The reason is that M line is a stand alone line. So if someone's first real camera is an M camera and a couple of lenses, and wants to get into a broader ecosystem, there is nothing keeping him/her with Canon - they could go Sony. With RFS, they could acquire and use regular RF lenses on their camera. That would more likely keep them with Canon.
Here we go again.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
I agree that Canon's best option is to go RFS and discontinue M line. The reason is that M line is a stand alone line. So if someone's first real camera is an M camera and a couple of lenses, and wants to get into a broader ecosystem, there is nothing keeping him/her with Canon - they could go Sony. With RFS, they could acquire and use regular RF lenses on their camera. That would more likely keep them with Canon.
Or Canon could stuff the R7 sensor and electronics into an M-mount body about the size of the Olympus OM-1 (or even smaller) and give M users a serious upgrade path. (Compare the size, capabilities and price of the OM-1 with the Canon R3.) I've suggested that on several occasions but I would be amazed if Canon actually did it.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Now I am seriously confused. I learnt here that cropping for reach was the same if done in-camera (APSC) or
in post for image quality. If R7 is the same size as R5, why would a smart company like Canon make R7? This will reveal itself to me eventually, but as of now, I am confused. Perhaps, they will make lighter, cheaper lenses for R7. Then and only then will R7 make sense (assuming the crop theory above is correct.)
An APS-C cropped R5 is only 17MP

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Not a good idea, AF will become pretty slow. Believe me i tried it . :) View attachment 203463
Interesting to hear you say that. I've noticed only a tiny slow down in acquisition of initial focus (sports, virtually all soccer), and no degradation in tracking accuracy. With this same combo - R6, TC vIII, lens vII. And no degradation in image quality. I rented one to try, and was sold immediately. Then bought one used and got the same result. I've been thinking of grabbing the 2xTC to try as well.

Bottom line - i'd suggest at least trying it to anyone with an R5 or R6. And decide for yourself.

Brian

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
I don't think a new Digic version alone can do that. The 20mp R6 does "only" 20fps with electronic shutter.
A lot depends on if/when R7 lowers bit-depth and by how much (or eventually crop like the M6II). But I think specs makes it look like a new sensor.
But we will see...
I don't think a new Digic version alone can do that. The 20mp R6 does "only" 20fps with electronic shutter.
A lot depends on if/when R7 lowers bit-depth and by how much (or eventually crop like the M6II). But I think specs makes it look like a new sensor.
But we will see...
The sensor of the R6 has 1.6x the area for read speed. What’s 20 (fps) x 1.6? Call it 30, rounding down.

Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
Interesting to hear you say that. I've noticed only a tiny slow down in acquisition of initial focus (sports, virtually all soccer), and no degradation in tracking accuracy. With this same combo - R6, TC vIII, lens vII. And no degradation in image quality. I rented one to try, and was sold immediately. Then bought one used and got the same result. I've been thinking of grabbing the 2xTC to try as well.

Bottom line - i'd suggest at least trying it to anyone with an R5 or R6. And decide for yourself.

Brian
Image Quality is ok. The one-shot spot mode, which i use often is terrible. Servo spot mode is constantly pumping. Tracking is slow. My Camera-Firmware Firmware is 1.52. No idea what to do. Without TC the AF is nice.
BTW with my old 2.8/200L Mk II performance is better.

Upvote 0