Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

My two cents...

I think the R7 will have an AF system equal to or better than the R3. If I remember correctly, the 7DII had essentially the same AF system as the same-generation 1DX. I would anticipate the R7 possibly even being a test run for what the R1 AF system will bring.

Regarding the M series and it's possible demise, I think the fact that Canon will release APS-C bodies with the RF mount makes it more likely (but not guaranteed) that the M series will phase out. I guess it'll depend on how small of lenses and bodies Canon can create with the RF mount. Size and weight are the biggest differentiators for the M series, so only comparable size and weight in RF will be a threat to M. APS-C on RF is the first hurdle. Let's see where overall size and weight end up...

Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Finally. The never-ending argument if Canon will make an RF APSC camera or not ends here, proving many a pandit dead wrong!! Ouch, that must hurt their egos.
And I am delighted that Canon is launching this - many were waiting for this. I, personally, do not have a need for this. But full power to those who do.
I am willing to bet you underestimate the ability of people to remain in denial right up until the point that Canon starts taking orders.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
Interesting stats (IMHO)...
Flickr is currently updating their camera database (Camera Finder). And maybe the position doesn't hold as stats are updated and more cameras added. But at the time of writing 7DII are in top 5 when it comes to activity (daily users) in the Canon cameras category:

1652162860339.png

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Feb 5, 2020
  • 15-30fps (mechanical/electronic)
  • 4K @ 60/50fps (NTSC/PAL)
... with an M6II/90D sensor?
Okay, I know the M6II can do 30fps in some "cropped mode", but I would be surprised if that's the case here.
Sounds like a sensor with faster readout than the M6II/90D. Maybe BSI/stacked? - Maybe "just" technology similar to the fast R5 sensor?
The increased frame rate and readout would be due to the Digic X processor vs Digic 8 (M6II and 90D), not just the sensor itself. M6II is already 14 fps.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Again, the demise of the M series doesn't follow, no matter how much he might wish it did.

Totally different markets, and Ms sell well.
M is dead. There will be more APS-C RF Mount cameras that will be the same form factor as the M series we know today. Canon is not spending a single dollar on R&D for the EOS M cameras or lenses now that the PowerShot division is basically 2 guys with red staplers and interns. This switch would be further ahead if it wasn't for supply chain constraints.

The margins aren't in the cameras anyway, so it doesn't matter how many M50's they sell. The margins are in the lenses and we haven't seen an EF-M lens since 2018. We also haven't seen the EOS M series mentioned in quarterly earnings reports in years.

• Love
  • Wow
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

canonmike

EOS R6
CR Pro
Jan 5, 2013
The 1.4x iii would be a lot cheaper! R6 AF with this combo is very good, but does at times struggle to grab focus mid flight. Obviously the R7 will have many other advantages beyond 1.6x crop. If I was in a position to consider the R7, as an alternate idea, I'd consider upgrading to the RF 100-500 + tc after selling off the EF 100-400ii + tc.
Your last thought is a good one and compels me, as an RF 100-500 owner to very well consider the R7, knowing that I could then have a reach of 1120mm tele using the 1.4x RF converter, shooting up to 15 FPS. Now that is a very pleasant thought, indeed....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
M is dead. There will be more APS-C RF Mount cameras that will be the same form factor as the M series we know today.
M won't officially be dead until Canon comes up with an R that can match the M50 price point. Canon needs that price point, for first-time camera buyers. Canon also needs that price point to maintain it's huge ILC market share. Canon wants an ILC market share of around 50%.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Would have liked to have a modern card slot.
How much more modern can you get? You can't get UHS-iii or SD Express cards

No need for a card faster than USHii. R5 only needs CFe because of 4 video modes (8k raw, 8k ALL-I, 4k120, 4k60 ALL-I). All other video mode eg 8k IPB can use a SD card. I would suggest one of the faster ones though with >250MB/s write speed V90.
32mp/30fps would be fine on a SD card as the R5 45mp/20fps (lower bit depth than mechanical speed) is handled okay.

Upvote 0
SD instead of CF Express is going to hamper the 30 FPS. But over all it seems like a reasonable successor to the 90D and 7D Mk 2, maybe something in-between due to the consumer memory format.
Why? UHS-ii is fast enough for the R5's 45mp/20fps with 5.5s of burst (110 shots). cRaw would be even more. Yes CFe will clear the buffer faster but only an extra 1.8s @ 20 fps.

Upvote 0
M is dead. There will be more APS-C RF Mount cameras that will be the same form factor as the M series we know today. Canon is not spending a single dollar on R&D for the EOS M cameras or lenses now that the PowerShot division is basically 2 guys with red staplers and interns. This switch would be further ahead if it wasn't for supply chain constraints.

The margins aren't in the cameras anyway, so it doesn't matter how many M50's they sell. The margins are in the lenses and we haven't seen an EF-M lens since 2018. We also haven't seen the EOS M series mentioned in quarterly earnings reports in years.
Have you published a rumour that there will be low end APS-c RF mount bodies? I recall one for low end FF RF body (replacing or lower in cost than the RP) which would be well into "Rebel" territory.
M system is clearly in cash cow product lifecycle and maybe in decline but no end of line sales etc. Besides the M6ii's discontinuation in Australia, was there any other country that had it discontinued on Canon's local website?
I have no vested interest in the M system but it has also been 8 years since the 7Dii was released :)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com

Is this based on your sources or is this your opinion? We can all read tea leaves, but you need to disclose if this is based on actual information from reliable sources or not.

Upvote 0

goldenhusky

CR Pro
Dec 2, 2016
This is exciting! The 32.5MP is plenty, 15-30 fps is awesome, video specs are very good. I hope the video both 4k and 1080p are full sensor minus any aspect ratio crop and the video is over sampled. I wish it has at least one CF-Express Type B card. The CF-E type B will help clear buffer faster but it is Canon so the cripple hammer has to strike :D I am sure there will be one or two more disappointments (like pixel binning over, heating, etc.) for me when Canon finally announces this.

Upvote 0