Canon EOS R7 specifications [CR3]

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
A high end R7 is only the first of a line of R-ebel line of cameras (RXX, RXXX) that will soon follow. Canon produce the R7 to allow 7D users to get the camera they were longing to get in the 7DIII, but rest assure that e R-ebel will come soon as well after the R7. Since the R7 and the R-ebel will be able to use the EF-S glass (with a converter) it means that those people that have a good line of EF-S lenses, will be able to use them for longer than expected.
That is certainly possible. But there are lots of possibilities and nobody here can say which accurately reflects reality.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0
Jun 29, 2016
That is certainly possible. But there are lots of possibilities and nobody here can say which accurately reflects reality.
Well, if there is one things I would bet my money on is that Canon will develop R-ebel and RXX cameras very soon. Once they make a R-ebel which will (I guess, 24MP, dual pixel, less FPS, no manual shutter, lesser (or non) EVF, no control wheel and lesser shooting options) be about 500-800USD.... That is, in my opinion, the near future. Anyone with other guesses is welcomed to try and guess also. I think that soon we will have answers.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
A DSLR like mirrorless camera will not replace the popular M50. It will garner nowhere near the sales. Most consumers don't want a DSLR look alike camera to travel with. Nor the hassle with TSA or import controls in various airports. Canons mirrorless versions of their DSLRs still resemble "professional" cameras. The M50 is the travel camera of choice. Especially if one dares to pack a compact gimbal. Anyone dreaming to invision any of the current mirrorless body style options replacing the compact M50 or M6 is delusional.

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
A DSLR like mirrorless camera will not replace the popular M50. It will garner nowhere near the sales. Most consumers don't want a DSLR look alike camera to travel with. Nor the hassle with TSA or import controls in various airports. Canons mirrorless versions of their DSLRs still resemble "professional" cameras. The M50 is the travel camera of choice. Especially if one dares to pack a compact gimbal. Anyone dreaming to invision any of the current mirrorless body style options replacing the compact M50 or M6 is delusional.
The M50 family and M5 look to me like shrunken DSLRs? The M200 and M6 family don't have viewfinders.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
I do get what you mean.
It won't be a replacement but that does not mean it won't sell.
Rebel cameras still sell very well.
I would hate to see Canon abandon the M mount because cameras and lenses would get larger.
I do not think all of the customers would automatically move over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Excited to upgrade from my 7D II as my only camera, and am eagerly awaiting the official announcement. Coming from someone who will use it as a general purpose camera as well as for birding, it’s nice to see in-body IS mentioned again.

Same. I use the R5 for birding photography now. I was going to use it for general purposes, and then the 7Dii as my birding camera....then one day I took the R5 out for a test run birding and never looked back. Looking forward to the R7; going to keep the 600 on it at all times. I'm so sick of going back and forth with lenses every time I want to do some general-purpose shooting at home.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Stig Nygaard

EOS R7, Powershot G5 X II & Olympus TG-5
CR Pro
Jul 10, 2013
Copenhagen
www.flickr.com
So an R6 with an M6II / 90D sensor as many thought.
  • 15-30fps (mechanical/electronic)
  • 4K @ 60/50fps (NTSC/PAL)
... with an M6II/90D sensor?
Okay, I know the M6II can do 30fps in some "cropped mode", but I would be surprised if that's the case here.
Sounds like a sensor with faster readout than the M6II/90D. Maybe BSI/stacked? - Maybe "just" technology similar to the fast R5 sensor?

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Berowne

... they sparkle still the right Promethean fire.
Jun 7, 2014
The 1.4x iii would be a lot cheaper! R6 AF with this combo is very good, but does at times struggle to grab focus mid flight. Obviously the R7 will have many other advantages beyond 1.6x crop. If I was in a position to consider the R7, as an alternate idea, I'd consider upgrading to the RF 100-500 + tc after selling off the EF 100-400ii + tc.
Not a good idea, AF will become pretty slow. Believe me i tried it . :) _A1A5986.jpg

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

Fletchahh

7D Mark II
CR Pro
Aug 31, 2020
Pasadena, CA
Same. I use the R5 for birding photography now. I was going to use it for general purposes, and then the 7Dii as my birding camera....then one day I took the R5 out for a test run birding and never looked back. Looking forward to the R7; going to keep the 600 on it at all times. I'm so sick of going back and forth with lenses every time I want to do some general-purpose shooting at home.
Nice. I held off getting an R5 because of the cost (as a college student) and the R6 because most all of my lenses are crop lenses. Stuff like the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 and 50-100 f1.8, my only full frame lens is the 100-400 II even though bird photography is what I do the most. So I've been waiting specifically for the R7 for a while.

Upvote 0
Finally. The never-ending argument if Canon will make an RF APSC camera or not ends here, proving many a pandit dead wrong!! Ouch, that must hurt their egos.
CanonRumors has been rumoring about this since 2018, so it's not exactly like the were spot-on. I don't think anyone cares enough one way or the another to have a hurt ego.

Upvote 0
Would have liked to have a modern card slot.
I'm a fan of fast cards too, but while UHS-II might bottleneck potential video features a bit, it should be plenty fast for 32mpx photography, and I think a lot of the customers for this camera would actually prefer to use cards that fit straight into their other devices.

Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0