Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Hard times for the "M is not dead" fraction
Time will tell what Canon decides to do about the M system, which is still selling quite well.

For those (like me) who sometimes need a very small and lightweight ILC, the R10 would have to be extremely small and the rumoured RF-S lenses would have to be smaller than the current non-L RF lenses to replace the M-system. I obviously don't have an R10, but I have an RF 50 1.8 and an EF-M 22 2 in front of me. Lenses the size of the RF 50 are too large for the specific purposes I use them.
Might well be that I'll have to replace the M6 with a smartphone once it breaks :oops: Or use a camera from another brand, if such cameras still exist then

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jan 4, 2022
Time will tell what Canon decides to do about the M system, which is still selling quite well.

For those (like me) who sometimes need a very small and lightweight ILC, the R10 would have to be extremely small and the rumoured RF-S lenses would have to be smaller than the current non-L RF lenses to replace the M-system. I obviously don't have an R10, but I have an RF 50 1.8 and an EF-M 22 2 in front of me. Lenses the size of the RF 50 are too large for the specific purposes I use them.
Might well be that I'll have to replace the M6 with a smartphone once it breaks :oops: Or use a camera from another brand, if such cameras still exist then
... Or wait for smaller (but slower) RF-S lenses. Until then M6 will fulfill its duty.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Blue Zurich

Traditional Grip
Jan 22, 2022
Swingtown
The nomenclature for the XXD line evolved in a seamless manner as opposed to the XXXD/Rebel naming schemes, methinks the R10+ would make sense as well and encompass both the Rebel and M systems.
I'd buy into a smaller body which took my RF glass for a more compact bag overall if it had a VF, ala M5. As for crop 'reach', there are thousands of posts, a few of which have the science to back what equivalence truly is and how sensor type and size will impact the image rez.

I could see the M6ll sensor becoming the new 18mp of yesteryear for a new line of entry level R bodies, it would make many cringe here (even though they aren't the market) and make Canon a boatload of money.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
The model name R10 is similar to M100. Perhaps the R10 will be a really small no-viewfinder model.
My guess would be R10 is the first in an enthusiast line like the xxD DSLRs.

Canon still has the M for now. If they decide to demarket that, they could go with Rxxx (or Rxxxx) for its replacement.

Upvote 0
R10! Interesting..

I’m guessing then in the future we’ll have the R20, R30, R40.. As such with the 70D, 80D and 90D. The R7 is obviously the 7D line replacement we’ve all been waiting for!

Time to save££££££!

Seems good to me - R7 seems like a top end ML version of 7D, R10 middle ground in line with A6400 & Z70.

Bit of flak and fall out of Canon abandoning their existing APS ML line (same with Nikon on it's ill fated Nikon 1 adventure)

Good bring on the two APS ML's and for me hopefully give Nikon kick up back side for them to produce an equivalent to R7 and update to D500 in ML format.

Upvote 0
A little off-topic, but I like the R8 or R9 idea. Though I'm thinking rangefinder style with a viewfinder built in, and full frame. Same internals as an R5 so it could be my travel camera AND a backup to the R5. I hate having to have two identical bodies; one sitting around gathering dust, waiting for me to drop the other.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
No CR# rating for this. EDIT: now there is.

Three observations:
  1. Following CRguy's announcement that he was selling the site, traffic and new members seemed to drop significantly.
  2. Recently, there have been many front-page posts and statements that are rather sensational, site traffic seems increased and I see many new members posting.
  3. CRguy has not publicly reversed his decision to sell the site, and it's probably harder to sell and/or get top price for a site with declining stats.
It's possible that those observations are entirely unrelated.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
Did everyone miss the huge announcement/rumour here, the replacement for EF-S lenses is here! It looks like RF-S lenses 'are/will be a thing'... :oops:

The Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 sound like typical kit lens zooms.

The questionable RF 16mm f/2.8 will make a decent 24mm f/4.5 equivalent on APSC, and the periphery won't matter because it will be all cropped away! :)

If the RF-S bodies can run EF-S lenses with an adapter, that provides even more options!

Upvote 0