Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

Did everyone miss the huge announcement/rumour here, the replacement for EF-S lenses is here! It looks like RF-S lenses 'are/will be a thing'... :oops:

The Canon RF-S 18-45mm f/3.5-5.6 and RF-S 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 sound like typical kit lens zooms.

The questionable RF 16mm f/2.8 will make a decent 24mm f/4.5 equivalent on APSC, and the periphery won't matter because it will be all cropped away! :)

If the RF-S bodies can run EF-S lenses with an adapter, that provides even more options!

True excitement for those who have yet to join the forum.
I wonder how much true excitement there is for the release of an R10 and RF-S 18-45mm kit lens with the members here. How many forum members will pre-order because they just have to have it.:unsure:

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Fear cripples me and I am unable to put it in the cart, if I buy one the next day they will release a 1.
In reality I will be waiting another year or two.
I think the big question is will it be high MP and slower, or lower MP and faster? The R1 likely will be substantially more expensive. I have been quite happy with the R3, compared to my 1D X.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
R10! Interesting..

I’m guessing then in the future we’ll have the R20, R30, R40.. As such with the 70D, 80D and 90D. The R7 is obviously the 7D line replacement we’ve all been waiting for!

Time to save££££££!
Could as easy go ) R11, 12, 13. If they plan to run with it long term. Then R100, R101, R102, R1000, R1001. R1002.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
I should be pleased, I guess. Been waiting to replacd my DSLRs for a few months, neither the R5 nor R6 was quite right - the former too expensive, the latter a touch too low res. Two or three years ago I seriously considered the 90D. But there's two things we don't know that are key for me - price, and availability.

An observation: if this comes to pass, Canon will have done a good job keeping information from leaking; if it's announced less than a month away. We had nothing concrete even a few weeks ago.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
Could as easy go ) R11, 12, 13. If they plan to run with it long term. Then R100, R101, R102, R1000, R1001. R1002.
That would be a smart move. I mean, look at all the work Canon had to do—new mount, new bodies, new lenses—when they needed a successor to the 90D. ;-)

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

InchMetric

Switched from Nikon. Still zooming the wrong way.
CR Pro
Jun 22, 2021
R10 is a nice surprise! If the price and size is right I could totally see myself picking up a small and "cheap" R10 for travel when I don't need the R5. The RF 16mm and 50mm would be perfect for a little camera. Maybe even pick up a 18-150 if the size is right.
I have an RP for this. It cost $400 net as a Canon refurb after selling the f4 L zoom in the refurb kit. It's my placeholder until the tiny finderless Sigma equivalent. Would like a 35-40mm f2 instead of the RF50f1.8, but that works fine for now for the kitchen counter family camera.

Upvote 0

mdcmdcmdc

EOS R7, M5, 100 (film), Sony α6400
CR Pro
Sep 4, 2020
You'll know for sure if they also announce a RF to EF-M mounting adapter. But, I do agree with you.
Such an adapter would be extremely difficult to build for physical/mechanical reasons alone. Also, consumers who buy M cameras don’t think in terms of upgrading and compatibility. That’s just for enthusiast geeks like us. Finally, EF-M lenses are very inexpensive, compared with the high end RF glass that many enthusiasts go for. All those factors considered, I highly doubt Canon will ever produce an EF-M to RF adapter.

Maybe third parties will look into it, although they would face the same physical constraints.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0