Here is what Canon is announcing next, including the EOS R7, EOS R10 and RF-S lenses [CR3]

It makes even less sense to think Canon would keep alive and maintain 2 APS-C systems. It doesn't make sense to mount a 24-70 lens but something like the R7 is perfect for the 100-500, giving plenty of reach

Reach...:ROFLMAO:

If the R7 is similar in size to the other R bodies, and the M is still tiny, there is a very good reason to keep the M.

Upvote 0
The R7 clearly has to be a decent sized body if it is to fill the slot that everyone expects. Given that the majority of EF and most EF-s lenses have been discontinued but none of the M lenses other than the original 18-55 have been, it would be logical to assume that a) The M6 II is going away because it doesn't fit the M paradigm and b) the R1 is really a Rebel replacement. The physical size of the R10 will tell the intent. From the rumor, it sounds like the sensors in these new cameras may well be the existing 24 and 32 MP sensors, with the possibility that the 32 has been upgraded a bit for more speed. Sounds like only a couple of weeks to find out. For the R7 to be a viable stand-alone package, the EF-s 15-85 needs to be resurrected in RF format. It was the best of the EF-s lenses and actually capable of 24mm FF Equiv.
:cautious: If the R1 is a Rebel replacement I am switching to Nikon today. I have had enough.

We will see what Canon does with the R7, they may just use the number and do what they did with the D60 or D70 upgrade. (not sure which one it was)
Canon cut back the specs when they released it to keep it significantly under the 7D.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
The R7 clearly has to be a decent sized body if it is to fill the slot that everyone expects. Given that the majority of EF and most EF-s lenses have been discontinued but none of the M lenses other than the original 18-55 have been, it would be logical to assume that a) The M6 II is going away because it doesn't fit the M paradigm and b) the R10 is really a Rebel replacement...

Of the nearly 80 Canon EF/EF-S lenses for their DSLRs in 2020, some 26 or 28 have been discontinued within the past year. The "majority" are still in production. There are still 37 EF (full frame) and 12 EF-S (crop) lenses being offered. In addition, over the years there have been numerous earlier versions of Canon EF and EF-S lenses that were either discontinued or superseded, plus many dozens of third party autofocus lenses for the EF lens mount.

There have only ever been 8 Canon EF-M lenses for their M-series cameras. One of those was discontinued many years ago (18-55mm was replaced with 15-45mm and 18-150mm). Further, there have only been 6 third party lenses with autofocus offered for EF-M mount (3 Sigma and 3 Viltrox). The most recent EF-M lens from Canon was a 32mm f/1.4 introduced in 2018. The other lenses were introduced between 2012 and 2016. All EF-M lenses use STM (stepper motor) focus drive... none use Canon's faster USM or Nano USM focus drive.

In fact, even after discontinuing a fairly large number of them, Canon still has a greater selection of lenses for the DSLRs they are phasing out than Fujifilm, Panasonic, or Olympus offer for their systems. Canon still offers a better selection of EF and EF-S lenses that Sony offers for their e-mount cameras. Only Nikon has a larger selection of lenses than Canon, in their F-mount for the DSLRs they're phasing out!

Upvote 0
:cautious: If the R1 is a Rebel replacement I am switching to Nikon today. I have had enough.

We will see what Canon does with the R7, they may just use the number and do what they did with the D60 or D70 upgrade. (not sure which one it was)
Canon cut back the specs when they released it to keep it significantly under the 7D.

Canon tried to call the 90D a replacement for both the 80D and 7D Mark II.

It was definitely a solid update from the 80D... However, in most respects it was definitely NOT a replacement for the 5 year older 7D Mark II.

Canon 7D Mark II (2014), $1800, 20MP, 65-point AF, 10 frames/sec, magnesium body, dual memory card slots, durability rated for 200K shutter actuations.

Canon 80D (2016), $1100, 24MP, 45-point AF, 7 frames/sec, polycarbonate body, single memory card slot, durability rated for 100K actuations.

Canon 90D (2019), $1200, 32.5MP, 45-point AF, 10 frames/sec, polycarbonate body, single memory card slot, durability rating 120K actuations.

The 7DII's rear LCD is fixed and it's not a TouchScreen.... the 90D and 80D screens are articulated and TouchScreens.

90D got a "joystick" to control AF point selection, much like 7DII has. 80D and earlier didn't have that. However, the battery grip for 7DII has a second joystick, while the grip the 90D shares with 80D and 70D does not. Also, 7DII has a control to directly toggle through the camera's seven different AF patterns. 90D and 80D don't have that, and 90D has five AF patterns, while 80D has four. 7DII has more user adjustable focus settings than either of the others.

Under standard CIPA testing, the 90D is much more power efficient.... rated to get 1300 shots with a fresh battery. In comparison 80D is rated to get 970 shots and 7DII only 670 shots with the same battery. (All three use LP-E6N... or the newer LP-E6NH.)

90D's 32.5MP is the highest resolution of any APS-C camera other than the M6 Mark II that shares the same images sensor. In fact, it's higher resolution than many full frame cameras! More is better... but such high resolution also makes the camera a bit more susceptible to shake blur. Greater care and/or faster shutter speeds should be used. This susceptibility to camera shake is another reason I'm hoping Canon doesn't fit the R7 with a 32.5MP sensor. Shooting sports can be fast and furious, with very quick camera movements.

7D Mark II (and earlier 7D) follow the design of the 1D-series..... with dual processors and a separate chip dedicated to just the AF system. This is part of the reason the 7DII's AF system remains superior to the 90D's five year newer AF system. The 7DII has one of the shortest shutter lags of any Canon DSLR... comparable to many of the 1D-series cameras. All other Canon DSLRs use a single processor for both image handling and focusing (excpet the 50MP 5DS models, which use dual processors). The only way the 90D's AF system may be superior to 7DII is in Live View mode, where it has face detection capability.

Officially 90D can do 11 frames per second. However, that's only with "locked AF". It makes little to no sense to shoot bursts with locked AF and the camera only slows slightly to 10 fps with AF in continuous focus mode.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Something seems off about this rumor.

The 18-45mm and 18-150mm lenses have been mentioned before including in patent applications, but as lenses that cover a FF sensor (maybe the 18-150mm didn't on the wide end, if I remember right). Now they're being called out as crop lenses?

We'll find out the truth soon, but for now the R10 and these lenses seem a bit suspect to me. As a crop lens, 18-45mm doesn't compete well on paper with kit lenses from the other manufacturers, in particular losing out on the wide end. If it actually covers a FF image circle then almost certainly there have been compromises made - I find it hard to believe Canon will have come up with a design that performs well on FF without being unusually heavy and expensive for a kit lens.

If this rumor is real, I'll be a bit disappointed. I'm sure it will sell well if they start shipping this instead of Rebels and Ms and it's priced right. Most camera buyers don't research much before buying and don't buy extra lenses so what's in the box doesn't matter that much from a "will it sell" perspective. But, as a current M user I don't see any compelling reason for me to switch. Personally, I don't think any of the existing RF lenses are a good fit for an APS-C camera compared with the competition's line up (including M). Two kit lenses does not shift the balance. It makes no sense for me to sell all my gear just to go and buy the same stuff again with a different mount.

Now if the R10 is actually full frame and replaces the RP, that (to me) makes more sense.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only way the 90D's AF system may be superior to 7DII is in Live View mode, where it has face detection capability.
With an f/8 lens (e.g. a 100-400L with 1.4x TC), the 7DII is reduced to a single AF point (cross-type) in the center. The 90D gives you 27 AF points spread across the frame (including 9 cross-type).

For those wanting a high MP APS-C camera for 'reach' (and who can't get there by buying a great white) the ability to use an f/8 lens with >1 AF point is likely quite impactful. My 1D X also has just one AF point with an f/8 lens, and that's one reason why I didn't often use the 2x TC on my 600/4 II. I'm using that combo much more on my R3.

Upvote 0

Hector1970

CR Pro
Mar 22, 2012
Interesting rumour at least and it has people interacting.
For me both an R7 and R10 make sense. Canon certainly need to make a cheaper mirrorless cameras.
The prices so far are restricting the potential customer base. Same for the lens. They need some cheaper plastic lens.
It would make more sense to me to make cheap RF lens rather than RF-S lens but those two lens would cover alot of beginners requirements.
Canon could make those two RF-S lens alone for an APS-C sensor and sell quite a few of them.

I wouldn't see it necessarily as the end of EOS M series. Every few years they could bring out a new model with a newish or hand me down sensor , same body and firmware, and same set of lens and it would probably sell away based on the brand name and the fact it is a solid camera for travel photography.

When the R7 comes out I'll be interesting in what its like for birding and for sport. It's likely to be very suitable for both

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
Of the nearly 80 Canon EF/EF-S lenses for their DSLRs in 2020, some 26 or 28 have been discontinued within the past year. The "majority" are still in production. There are still 37 EF (full frame) and 12 EF-S (crop) lenses being offered. In addition, over the years there have been numerous earlier versions of Canon EF and EF-S lenses that were either discontinued or superseded, plus many dozens of third party autofocus lenses for the EF lens mount.

There have only ever been 8 Canon EF-M lenses for their M-series cameras. One of those was discontinued many years ago (18-55mm was replaced with 15-45mm and 18-150mm). Further, there have only been 6 third party lenses with autofocus offered for EF-M mount (3 Sigma and 3 Viltrox). The most recent EF-M lens from Canon was a 32mm f/1.4 introduced in 2018. The other lenses were introduced between 2012 and 2016. All EF-M lenses use STM (stepper motor) focus drive... none use Canon's faster USM or Nano USM focus drive.

In fact, even after discontinuing a fairly large number of them, Canon still has a greater selection of lenses for the DSLRs they are phasing out than Fujifilm, Panasonic, or Olympus offer for their systems. Canon still offers a better selection of EF and EF-S lenses that Sony offers for their e-mount cameras. Only Nikon has a larger selection of lenses than Canon, in their F-mount for the DSLRs they're phasing out!
You aren't looking in the right place. https://cweb.canon.jp/ef/lineup/ Just because you can still buy a particular lens doesn't mean it is still in production. There are currently only 6 EF-s lenses and 7 EF-M lenses. What is left in the EF-s line is also a pretty weird mix (mostly wide and no telephotos). I count 28 EF lenses (including tilt-shift lenses) and again, the mix is pretty weird with many of the best gone (and those will likely be the next to show up on the RF list).

Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon

Sorry, typo. That was supposed to be R10 :cool: .

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
Reach...:ROFLMAO:

If the R7 is similar in size to the other R bodies, and the M is still tiny, there is a very good reason to keep the M.

What is so funny?

The M is not a serious sport or wildlife camera with the tiny batteries, no weather sealing, no viewfinder, no RF compatibility. I like the M system for the size but it's not logical for Canon to keep it.

Look at the Nikon Z50. It's about the same size as the M6/M50 while the Z mount is the same size as the RF. So it's possible to make a small camera.

Upvote 0
Sep 17, 2014
And the ability to sensibly mount the 100-500 means the size of the R7 will in no way be competitive with any M camera. The size of the R10 remains to be seen, by my bet is for a Rebel replacement and the M50 is here to stay (at least for the next year or so).

Just like the 7D was not competitive with Rebels or something like the 250D in size. Different camera sizes for different needs.

The Nikon Z50 is about the same size as the M50 and has a much larger mount.
Screenshot 2022-05-10 222124.jpg

Upvote 0