Africa film ready for client presentation

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Sort of a relief to hear about the cuts. The bigger issue, to me, is the corked bottle. It reflects very poorly on me. I am in talks with the editor to see our options.
Sanj, please read my full comments. I accidentally posted midway through composing. Sorry.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Okay. My apologies for the rather disjointed comments. I should have taken more time.

1) You are correct. Since it will be on their website, people will already know the contact information.
2) I think the slate at the beginning doesn't read well in a vertical format like that. I first watched this on my iPhone (which unfortunately is how most people will see it) and it was hard to see. I would recommend reformatting that opening slate to horizontal like the rest of the film. I don't think the vertical gets you anything. And I would still include the website address at the bottom of the opening slate, just in case they want to use this somewhere other than on their website.
3) If the wine bottle bothers you, take it out. It's not integral to the story and you probably need to cut something anyway.
4) The message (I think) is "We are a lodge that is in sync with nature and with the people. We offer a curated experience provided by people who are of the land and love the land." That's the main message, as far as the lodges themselves, you just need to show enough so people can see what they look like. If you need to cut and the client is willing to cut more the lodge scenes, I'd do it. It's a rare client that says, "cut my product and focus on the message." Usually, clients are saying, "But, you aren't showing enough of our product."
5) I think it builds nicely at the end with the increased pace of the cuts and the increased drama.
6) You know this way better than I do, but I might try to do a really, really shortened cut (1:30 for example) just to see how much can be taken out without losing the message. That will help you sort out what absolutely has to be in there.
7) Chances are, you may need to offer cuts of :30 or so, that can be used for social media, so think about that.

Having said all that, frankly, if you presented it to the client exactly the way it is, they would be thrilled. It's beautiful and I would definitely look into staying there if I was planning an Africa trip. Don't overthink it and don't take us too seriously, you know better than we do.

• Love
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Thank you so so much! Could you notice the uncorked bottle easily or saw it after reading the comments?
Before, I'm French! (Del Paso is a pseudo, whenever my wife asked about the name of a singer, writer etc. and I didn't know, my answer was invariably "Del Paso"... )

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
CLIENT: Got feedback in. Is the color correction fully done? Can it be worked on?
ME: Please tell me which shots you think need better colour correction? You can take photos and send me on WhatsApp.
Is the edit approved?

Above is the story so far.
Is your client perhaps color-blind?;)

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
I am feeling cornered:
CLIENT: The entire video needs colour correction. I have seen it on multiple devices.
ME: OK. Thanks. do find it faded? Or too dark? I checked ELEWANA Instagram and other videos. It seems like you all prefer a ‘faded’ grade. Subdued colours. Is that how you want me to grade this? Or something else? Do let me know as I want to be prepared before I go to the studio.
CLIENT: We prefer a sharp clear grade. Avoid lighting effects, colourisation and B&W. East Africa does not need filters.

• Wow
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I am feeling cornered:
CLIENT: The entire video needs colour correction. I have seen it on multiple devices.
ME: OK. Thanks. do find it faded? Or too dark? I checked ELEWANA Instagram and other videos. It seems like you all prefer a ‘faded’ grade. Subdued colours. Is that how you want me to grade this? Or something else? Do let me know as I want to be prepared before I go to the studio.
CLIENT: We prefer a sharp clear grade. Avoid lighting effects, colourisation and B&W. East Africa does not need filters.
Oh boy. I don't have any idea what they are talking about.

The only thing I can think of is the website photos seem to be hitting the saturation and vibrance pretty heavily. So much so that on some of the pictures there appears to be some fringing visible on the edges. It's not excessive, but it's just on the edge of excessive. They are saying East Africa does not need filters, but their website pictures are telling a different story. Your film has a very natural, pleasing look to it. But, I almost feel they might want to up the colors to 11. But, I really don't know, as they are being way too vague.

If you flip back and forth between the website and your film, the difference I see is the heavy saturation on their website pictures as opposed to the more natural colors in the film.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

unfocused

Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
I have a suspicion (based on their website) that desaturation isn't what they want. The problem is that the client seems to know just enough to be dangerous. They are using color grading like it is a specific term for some effect, when it is just a generic term for the process, so it is hard to read their minds and see what they want. Maybe ask them if the colors need to pop a little more or if they feel the colors are too intense. At least that way, you will have an idea of what direction to go.

Upvote 0