Canon EOS R3 and Canon EOS R5 to receive new firmware next week

Warrenl

CR Pro
Jul 15, 2012
Ive only had 2 lockups on my R3 when I first got the camera, and never had any battery drain.
I did do the firmware update and have not had a lockuop since then

I got the R3 in the first batch of deliveries.
The only thing that bugs me with the R3, is that the eyecuo keeps falling off. Ive lost the original one and had to replace it.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Vertical videos are never nice. Can we just stop with that nonsense social media platforms need to allow mobile devices to be rotated so proper horizontal videos can be viewed full screen rather than forcing vertical videos to br the norm.
‘The norm’ is changing. More media content is consumed on mobile devices than on televisions, that’s been true since 2019 and the gap is widening.

I’d be happy share the data with you…what’s your fax number? ;)

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The only thing that bugs me with the R3, is that the eyecuo keeps falling off. Ive lost the original one and had to replace it.
Odd. I have taken it off a couple of times to swap it with the facecup (the ER-eE that Canon calls an eyecup, but that thing is huge!), and I have to work at getting the stock eyecup off. I can’t see any way it would fall off on its own.

I did misplace the hotshoe cover, but Canon sells those now so I bought a replacement and a spare.

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Well it's only cropped to give the standard video aspects of 16:9 for TV and 1.9:1 for cinema isn't it ?
Isn’t it better to have the flexibility to:
• Reframe
• Support Different aspect ratios… not only for TV, but also social media.
• Support both 3:2 and 4:3 aspect ratios for use with widely available affordable anamorphic lenses.

So what would you lose by Canon doing this? Nothing! As Canon users we have absolutely nothing to lose and everything to gain.

This is comparable to “baked in colors” vs RAW and Log. It’s about having flexibility in post rather than having the camera maker those decisions.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
‘The norm’ is changing. More media content is consumed on mobile devices than on televisions, that’s been true since 2019 and the gap is widening.
And the eyes moving by genetic mutation on top of each other soon?

The normal section you display in a vertical video is nearly nothing. If you have a standing person or what its ok (like a portrait photo), but if you have any environment a vertical video makes no sense at all.... yes, a vertical video is fullscreen on a phone if you are holding it in a typical manner, but thats it.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Interesting. Can you please tell me what is the crop factor on R5 while shooting 4k video? Thank you, I would be checking here often for your reply. Thanking you!
I think you know the horizontal crop remains unchanged. It’s the vertical crop that is changed. I calculate the vertical crop factor as 1.21:1.

I’ll be checking back frequently for your reply.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

I’d be happy share the data with you…what’s your fax number? ;)
Oh I’m quite aware of the changes but my point is you can still rotate your mobile device into a horizontal orientation when filming and also the mobile apps could easily be configured to display a full screen horizontal video when the user rotates the mobile device. YouTube already does this. If you’ve ever watched a sport video (especially surfing) in vertical format you lose so much of the scene/action that would be so much better in landscape mode. Even when blogging, i dont need to see the ground and the ceiling when theres so much more info to the right and left. To compensate the filmers pan back and forth quickly which is disorientating. Think of coverage of a live event unfolding, the viewer doesn’t need to see my shoes and the sky, but a wide horizontal would be useful. All this all started because all the nubs* are to lazy to rotate the orientation of their mobile device when filming. “I have spoken”. ;)

* like a noob/newb except whereas a newb fails because of lack of experience, a “nub” has the experience and knows better but still fails.

Upvote 0
And the eyes moving by genetic mutation on top of each other soon?

The normal section you display in a vertical video is nearly nothing. If you have a standing person or what its ok (like a portrait photo), but if you have any environment a vertical video makes no sense at all.... yes, a vertical video is fullscreen on a phone if you are holding it in a typical manner, but thats it.
Exactly!! All because the average person is too lazy or clueless to rotate the phone when filming we now have a vertical standard for filming for social media ‍♂️
There needs to be an international campaign to educate the populace on this
Its gonna come to lowering your social credit score, its the only thing people respond too. We’re headed that way as a society anyways.
↔️✔️ ↕️❌

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Oh I’m quite aware of the changes but my point is you can still rotate your mobile device into a horizontal orientation when filming and also the mobile apps could easily be configured to display a full screen horizontal video when the user rotates the mobile device. YouTube already does this. If you’ve ever watched a sport video (especially surfing) in vertical format you lose so much of the scene/action that would be so much better in landscape mode. Even when blogging, i dont need to see the ground and the ceiling when theres so much more info to the right and left. To compensate the filmers pan back and forth quickly which is disorientating. Think of coverage of a live event unfolding, the viewer doesn’t need to see my shoes and the sky, but a wide horizontal would be useful. All this all started because all the nubs* are to lazy to rotate the orientation of their mobile device when filming. “I have spoken”. ;)

* like a noob/newb except whereas a newb fails because of lack of experience, a “nub” has the experience and knows better but still fails.
Sure, people can just rotate their phone to a horizontal orientation, but many don’t want to – the shape of the phone makes it easier to hold vertically in one hand, and that is even more the case as devices get larger. Look at what you just said, “…nubs are [too] lazy to rotate the orientation of their mobile device,” which means you recognize that the default way people hold their phones is vertically.

If content pops up in landscape format, users may bypass it in favor of vertical content. Producers are incentivized to produce vertical content. It’s not a question of inexperience or laziness, it’s about knowing your audience and producing content for it.

Anecdotally, that’s what I do with my phone. If I’m shooting a clip I plan to share with my kids, I shoot vertical because I know they’ll likely watch on their phones. But if I’m shooting a clip for myself, I shoot horizontal because I know I’ll likely view it on my computer.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Sure, people can just rotate their phone to a horizontal orientation, but many don’t want to – the shape of the phone makes it easier to hold vertically in one hand, and that is even more the case as devices get larger. Look at what you just said, “…nubs are [too] lazy to rotate the orientation of their mobile device,” which means you recognize that the default way people hold their phones is vertically.

If content pops up in landscape format, users may bypass it in favor of vertical content. Producers are incentivized to produce vertical content. It’s not a question of inexperience or laziness, it’s about knowing your audience and producing content for it.

Anecdotally, that’s what I do with my phone. If I’m shooting a clip I plan to share with my kids, I shoot vertical because I know they’ll likely watch on their phones. But if I’m shooting a clip for myself, I shoot horizontal because I know I’ll likely view it on my computer.
I’m prepared to die on this hill! Lol. Otherwise vertical movie theater screens are on the horizon. They’ll have to change the shape of the theaters of course to be taller and narrower.
I suppose a comprimise would be square phones haha.

• Haha
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I’m prepared to die on this hill! Lol. Otherwise vertical movie theater screens are on the horizon. They’ll have to change the shape of the theaters of course to be taller and narrower.
It’s your funeral. ;)

Certainly content producers know whether their main audience will be mobile or tv/cinema. I don’t think Taika Waititi will be shooting Thor: Affection and Lightning in vertical format.

But quality phone content can be produced in either orientation. For example, my RRS phone clamp lets me mount my phone on my RRS tripods in either orientation.

C965E98B-FAA4-43F8-B84B-531805B6B088.jpeg

I took that shot with my iPhone, but I cropped it square so you can’t tell if I was too lazy to rotate my phone. :cool:

Upvote 0

DJPatte

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind
Jul 10, 2020
Sweden
I haven't updated my firmware at all on the R5.
If fact I've rarely done it in the past with all my other cameras.
Do people recommend it for the R5. Did it genuinely improve anything - focus tracking in particular in the last firmware update?
I'm a sort of "if it ain't broke don't fix it" type of person but if tracking was improved I'd take that
But it HAS been broke and they have fixed it! Run for it Forrest, run!!

Upvote 0

DBounce

Canon Eos R3
May 3, 2016
Hoping for recording limit taken away. Better control over the R5 overheating. But what would be really cool is taking $1500. off the R5 and $2500. off the R3
In a firmware update?

But here’s a thought, you could buy these cameras new… at full price… then, to be “really cool”, resell them at the $1500 and $2500 discounts you have suggested. Cool huh?

Upvote 0
Jul 16, 2012
You will, because film screens are huge and phones arent - the reason upright is more popular is because otherwise subjects are smaller, given a lot of content is a single person, ie the focus is mostly on portraits rather than landscapes.

Upvote 0

photophil

In therapy for GAS
Jun 17, 2022
HD
Magic Lantern was able to give Canon DSLRs many extra features however.
I had Magic Lantern on my 700D and was very happy with the additional features it offered. Very stable, too. But I am not holding my breath for ML on an R camera/Digic X. The only mirrorless camera for which they have been able to put out a build yet is the original M and there is nothing for recent-ish DSLRs such as the 5DIV or 6DII.

In terms of the upcoming upgrade I wonder whether it will be anything that might make it to the R6 in the future.

Upvote 0