Show your Bird Portraits

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Yet another heron, this time a "search pic". But note two things:
1st, it is standing in the shadows. My guess it was because of the more than 33 °C
2nd, note the huge sand spit with the traces in the BG.
That is normally the pond bottom with at least 30 to 50 cm water on top. The water would reach up to the herons belly.
All dried out :(
I haven't seen that in any summer before.

heron_09.JPG

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
While at the observation deck of a local wetland early one morning, the trees against the deck were full of activity. Some Cedar Waxwings were jumping about the branches and repeatedly crossing 6 feet in front of me. After 15 minutes or so, a few flew to some dead trees in the water and back towards me. One was obliging enough to land about 35 feet away. Even using the EF600mm IS L III, I still had to crop more than I expected.IMG_8460 copy.jpg

Reactions: 14 users
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Been a bit since I've had time to get on here. I've been working my way thru the pages and some great shots for sure. Here's a couple of my latest. The first image (dark background w/ hummingbird hovering above) was take with the RF 100-500, f8, 500mm at 1/2000th and used DxO PureRaw. The second image was taken with the RF 70-200, f2.8, 200mm at 1/2000th and used Topaz Denoiz. Both on the R5 and cropped in.
Annas Hummingbird - K1A8238 - DxO.jpg
Annas Hummingbird - K1A8380.jpg

• Love
Reactions: 20 users
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Been a bit since I've had time to get on here. I've been working my way thru the pages and some great shots for sure. Here's a couple of my latest. The first image (dark background w/ hummingbird hovering above) was take with the RF 100-500, f8, 500mm at 1/2000th and used DxO PureRaw. The second image was taken with the RF 70-200, f2.8, 200mm at 1/2000th and used Topaz Denoiz. Both on the R5 and cropped in.
View attachment 204865
View attachment 204866
First one is killer!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

ISv

"The equipment that matters, is you"
CR Pro
Apr 30, 2017
Black-winged stilt
Cog, I believe in the time we all are improving here but from sometime ago I call your photos "Cog 2" - not because your previous photos were not good - not at all!!!
But what you are posting in the last (how much?) months is indicating significant step forward to me... They are simply excellent!
BTW at what time of the day you go there and what is the temperature :unsure:? Judging by the shadows in the photos it's not very early/late in the day but I could be wrong?

Upvote 0

Cog

Dec 6, 2013
Qatar
Cog, I believe in the time we all are improving here but from sometime ago I call your photos "Cog 2" - not because your previous photos were not good - not at all!!!
But what you are posting in the last (how much?) months is indicating significant step forward to me... They are simply excellent!
BTW at what time of the day you go there and what is the temperature :unsure:? Judging by the shadows in the photos it's not very early/late in the day but I could be wrong?
Thank you very much, ISv! I guess I should change my nick to "Cog2" then ;)

I usually shoot my photos early in the morning, before 8-9 am, and sometimes after 3 pm (mostly in the winter time). Temperatures between these hours are just unbearable and the light is ugly most of the year.

This one was taken at around 6 am. The sky was hazy and a bit cloudy, and the sun was behind my left shoulder. I don't think there are real shadows in the photo, mostly reflections. The dark areas in the background are dirt and algea in the dried areas of the pond.

Last edited:
Upvote 0