Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
Then use your current M until it someday explode. You are not forced to update the camera, if it not fits your personal use case.
But maybe its for others well enough.

Edit: And I think (and already said this in previous articles) this will be a R100 or maybe even smaller a R1000.
I think Swerky fully understands the ability to continue using a currently owned camera. That is a point that could have gone unsaid. In my mind, statements like that do not further a conversation but breed negativity.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
I am among the flip up fans. I have the R6 and M6 Mark II. For portrait orientation shots, this is a place where the R6 screen helps more because it can allow me to work with the camera like a waist level viewfinder. 95% of my shots are landscape though, and for talking to the camera, flip up is good too. So, hmm. I'm with them. I also don't see the value of the RF-S mount on a compact camera unless they come out with lenses that can compete with the Sigma 16mm 1.4, the Canon 32mm and the Canon 22mm lenses for size as well. Big lenses suck on small bodies. I hope they are aggressively negotiating with Sigma to bring their mirrorless APS-C lenses over to RF-S cameras. Maybe they can convince Leica or Zeiss to join the Canon party; it would be good to get the support that Sony and Panasonic have from more than just Sigma.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
It really does seem like canon is transitioning the M line to RF Mount.

A vlogger style camera makes a lot sense considering Sony and Nikon are selling quite a few.

I am really interested in how the new flip screen will work. Flipping it out to the side is kind of nice, but for me (just for me) I’d wish they’d release a camera where the screen just flips out underneath. That way the screen and lens would in one straight line. It would especially be helpful for wildlife (flying birds or such) when using live view etc or when the camera is pointing towards the sky.
That was tried before. Was not really liked by vloggers/live streamers. Doesnt work very well when camera mounted on a tripod or. Def dont want that screen at the bottom when doing gimbal calibration.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Maybe the rumors refer also to this article?:

Not sure if this real, neve heard about that website.

Upvote 0
This is all good and dandy, but it's a fact that an aps-c rf mount camera will never be as compact as an m mount camera for discreet street shooting and portability. An m200 with 22mm f2 kit is great for that scenario.
Without a RF pancake lens, I can't see any RF combination being discreet and pocketable.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Why not?
Just look at Sigma FP, smaller than M6 mark II but with bigger mount.

Probally any eos m fits an RF mount throat.
The main issue with the fp/fp L is the lack of mechanical shutter which allows it to be as small as it is. Read out speed will need to be good to remove it. Flash sync speed will also be impacted by the read out speed as well. Nikon has shown us how good electronic shutter can be but trickling that tech down to base level will take a long time.

Upvote 0

davidcl0nel

Canon R5, 17 TSE, RF35+85 IS, RF70-200 4 IS, EF135
Jan 11, 2014
Berlin
www.flickr.com
I think Swerky fully understands the ability to continue using a currently owned camera. That is a point that could have gone unsaid. In my mind, statements like that do not further a conversation but breed negativity.
But the negativity of someone told everyone what he don't need is ok? That is also not constructive.
Should I start a list, what I don't need, maybe someone is listening?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Maybe good times for photo- and videographers who are looking for advanced cameras at moderate prices.

I have received my R7 two weeks ago and I am fascinated how this camera helps to take the photos I want. AF is great, and if it doesn't work in a situation (because I do not know to set it) the great MF aid worked great. The automatic horizon feature allows me to keep the display clean and avoids feedback loops in my brain viewing the level tool and making it green. Image stabilizer is very good at least with non-IS wide angles/short telephotos so I do not have to invest into new IS glass.
And I think the R7 exists at 1500 EUR/$ because Canon needs to draw people further into its mid to high end eco system.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Dec 5, 2021
M6 II is ideal as a second and backup camera for me. It is so light and compact, and the lenses are also. With the converter and in a pinch I can put any EF lens on it. Beside that, the fun lenses are also compact and cheap (Samyang 8mm fish, Rokinon 6.5mm circular fish, f0.95s ...) Since the sensor is the same as R7, I don't see the problem to make M6 mk III - the body and controlls could stay the same - stabilization would be great and 22 1.4 like the 32 1.4.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

domo_p1000

EOS-1D X MkIII | EOS-1D X MkII
CR Pro
Aug 22, 2013
... the camera will use a different kind of vari-angle LCD screen.
I know that screen articulation implementation is a Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it. As a photographer I have always preferred the fully articulated screens, that are more typically enjoyed by videographers, over flip-up designs (although I more typically use fixed-screen cameras). However, I will be interested to see what Canon have designed, not least because they could be test-bedding a screen concept similar to one that will be implemented in the 'R1' (although I would be very happy with the R3 solution). Ultimately though, I do not fall in the sale demographic for this camera!

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Maybe the rumors refer also to this article?:

Not sure if this real, neve heard about that website.
Those specs are identical to the rumored R100 specs

Upvote 0

LogicExtremist

Lux pictor
Sep 26, 2021
... the camera will use a different kind of vari-angle LCD screen.
I know that screen articulation implementation is a Marmite thing - you either love it or hate it. As a photographer I have always preferred the fully articulated screens, that are more typically enjoyed by videographers, over flip-up designs (although I more typically use fixed-screen cameras). However, I will be interested to see what Canon have designed, not least because they could be test-bedding a screen concept similar to one that will be implemented in the 'R1' (although I would be very happy with the R3 solution). Ultimately though, I do not fall in the sale demographic for this camera!
Fully articulated screens are the thing with vlogging or other self-filming approaches, they aren't blocked by cables plugged into ports on the side of the camera, microphones mounted atop, or any other camera attachments. Otherwise a large, expensive and cumbersome monitor screen is required!

Upvote 0