Canon’s next RF mount camera is in the field

Sep 20, 2020
Fully articulated screens are the thing with vlogging or other self-filming approaches, they aren't blocked by cables plugged into ports on the side of the camera, microphones mounted atop, or any other camera attachments. Otherwise a large, expensive and cumbersome monitor screen is required!
A lot of vloggers prefer to look at themselves above the screen
The downside is that a microphone in the hot shoe would block the screen

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
A lot of vloggers prefer to look at themselves above the screen
The downside is that a microphone in the hot shoe would block the screen
Looking to the side also feels unnatural to the audience.
But with a tripod on the bottom and a mic on top, the options for a screen are very limited.

A tiny OLED on the front :)

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Those specs are identical to the rumored R100 specs
Are the rumored R100 and rumored M50-3 both supposed to have viewfinders? I thought no for the former and yes for the latter.

Update: On second thought, the M50-3 sounds like a derivation from the R10. I've always wondered why Canon didn't do that. The R10 is certainly almost small enough.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sep 18, 2019
Guys a quick question.
Should I spend my money and buy the M6 II. Or wait for this one to arrive?

We don’t know the specs tho..
I think, for you, the key statement in the original post is:
It is expected to be announced before November 2022.

So, by November, the specs should be known, at which time you can make a decision based on specs and expected shipping dates. Can your decision wait a few months?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012

So, by November, the specs should be known, at which time you can make a decision based on specs and expected shipping dates. Can your decision wait a few months?
However, maybe that rumor is complete BS or maybe it's not BS but it is 6 months premature. How much credibility does the source have?

Update: I'm talking about the M50-3 rumor, not the rumor here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

becceric

Making clumsy photographic mistakes since 1980
CR Pro
Oct 30, 2016
But the negativity of someone told everyone what he don't need is ok? That is also not constructive.
Should I start a list, what I don't need, maybe someone is listening?
I think the post was mentioning relative camera sizes for discreet shooting, then inquiring about tilty/flippy display possibilities. I consider them observations without any statement of “not needing”.
Those statements were constructive to me since my wife is newly interested in a compact camera. I haven’t laid my hands on the M or R series since the closest camera stores are 60 miles away, and I currently am pleased with my 5D Mk IV. Swerky’s post gave me more information than the “use it until it breaks” statement.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
Guys a quick question.

The safest thing to say right now is, if the m system ticks your boxes, there's no reason not to buy in. If you really need a more advanced autofocus system, or want to adapt eos R full frame lenses, then wait for that eos R camera. As for native lenses, crop sensor R is still in infancy.

Upvote 0

Swerky

G1X Mark III
Sep 3, 2020
But the negativity of someone told everyone what he don't need is ok? That is also not constructive.
Should I start a list, what I don't need, maybe someone is listening?
I'm merely stating that because of the larger lens mount, crop sensor eos R will never get as compact and light as eos m without sacrificing on body ergonomics and such and, in my mind at least, there will still be a place for eos m for some time even if Canon doesn't develop it anymore. Specially that crop eos R cameras are so far designed with larger grips and more protruding evf. Even the RF-S 18-150 is distinctly larger than its ef-m counterpart. Nothing to do with what I don't need. Rather to do with what users might still need.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
One of the reasons I (and others) bought the M6 was that it could be used as an emergency back-up body for an EF-mount camera when travelling. Even with the EF adapter it's light and small and as such not an issue when luggage space and weight have to be minimized. That is no longer possible if the main camera uses the RF mount.
Of course this is a niche use-case.
Why not?
Just use the RF to EF adapter instead. That`s what I'll do, provided the camera is small enough.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
This is all good and dandy, but it's a fact that an aps-c rf mount camera will never be as compact as an m mount camera for discreet street shooting and portability. An m200 with 22mm f2 kit is great for that scenario. With a screen that tilts all the way up. What's that new screen mechanism? One that tilts all the way up as well as to the side?
More than likely just up like the Canon M200. As much as it sucks to hear it they are going to gear the camera towards VLogging. The small % of people that will complain about the minor things it has issues with when it comes to photography will not be a priority to them as it most likely won't be enough people to matter. For the general public most will be happy with the stills capabilities it will have at that price point, just as they were with the M200.

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Guys a quick question.

Quite frankly the RF mount does not have the lenses yet to justify such a camera
I will believe such a camera is coming once there are more RF-S lenses
I believe the R10 and R7 were coming once there were enough affordable full-frame lenses

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020

I find it hard to believe that Canon would announce a non-professional camera during the holiday shopping season that would not be available to be purchased after the season is over.
Maybe they could announce it at the beginning of the month shipping at the end of the month

Upvote 0

AlP

EOS R5
CR Pro
Sep 5, 2018
Why not?
Just use the RF to EF adapter instead. That`s what I'll do, provided the camera is small enough.
Because that would force the use of EF-glass on the RF camera and would mean that two adapters are needed.

I was referring to the case where the "main" camera used to be EF-mount camera, has been replaced by an RF-mount camera, and a M6 or M6II was already there as a back-up camera. The latter can no longer be used as a back-up camera for the RF-mount camera, except if the RF-mount camera is used with EF glass only, and with the RF-EF adapter.
This was a response to another post which stated that the M-camera can be used as long as it doesn't break.

Of course if the rumoured new RF-mount camera happens to be almost as small as the M6II, it could serve the same purpose. I don't see where the RF to EF adapter would be needed though, or were you referring to the case where the RF-mount camera would be used as a back-up for an EF-mount camera?

As for size expectations, technically the camera could be almost as small as an M6II, but that would compromise ergonomics and Canon is not known for doing that. At least the RF-S lenses are almost as small as the EF-M lenses, so the complete package might still be very small

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
Because that would force the use of EF-glass on the RF camera and would mean that two adapters are needed.

I was referring to the case where the "main" camera used to be EF-mount camera, has been replaced by an RF-mount camera, and a M6 or M6II was already there as a back-up camera. The latter can no longer be used as a back-up camera for the RF-mount camera, except if the RF-mount camera is used with EF glass only, and with the RF-EF adapter.
This was a response to another post which stated that the M-camera can be used as long as it doesn't break.

Of course if the rumoured new RF-mount camera happens to be almost as small as the M6II, it could serve the same purpose. I don't see where the RF to EF adapter would be needed though, or were you referring to the case where the RF-mount camera would be used as a back-up for an EF-mount camera?

As for size expectations, technically the camera could be almost as small as an M6II, but that would compromise ergonomics and Canon is not known for doing that. At least the RF-S lenses are almost as small as the EF-M lenses, so the complete package might still be very small
I must confess I use my RF mount camera (and the 5 DIV, obviously) almost exclusively with EF lenses (15 to date...).
So, a "tiny" APS/C RF camera will be ideal for me as a backup for both the 5 DIV and the EOS R.

Upvote 0
there is nothing wrong with the current flip screen for general purpose uses, but for some specific cases a diferente flip system could work better, for example, a upper flip screen can work better for vlogging.... IF and only IF they move the hot shoe to the side so the shotgun mic don't mess with the screen
A really good vlogging camera shouldn’t need an external mic in every scenario (obviously sometimes you’d still want one or a few working together). But hopefully one of these days camera manufacturers will start taking that more seriously.

Upvote 0