Great shots, ERHP.
a025.gif

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
I'd rather say the branches belong to this great picture. No reason to apologize!
The green haze at the bottom left quarter is a bit messy and this is why dpc is apologising. It's usually annoying to have a greenery haze getting in the way of the subject. I would have been tempted to have cropped out the bottom half and just have had it as a true portrait, with the green leaves framing the bottom of the chest.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The green haze at the bottom left quarter is a bit messy and this is why dpc is apologising. It's usually annoying to have a greenery haze getting in the way of the subject. I would have been tempted to have cropped out the bottom half and just have had it as a true portrait, with the green leaves framing the bottom of the chest.
That's just what I also liked about the picture!
De gustibus...

Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
I know Herons are eating small (baby) birds but in this case it killed a juvenile House Sparrow in front of me. It happened suddenly and I lost time to pull out my camera from the backpack. Swallow it with all the feathers (no cleaning, no grill:)).
I'm not concerned about the population of the House Sparrow (and the endemic birds here don't have an overlapping areal with the Herons) but some much more rare introduced birds like the African Silver Bill and the Red Avadavat e.t.c. could be vulnerable.
After that a Yellow-faced Canary - I didn't know they could do this with their lower mandible: it's the same bird. Look at the disposition of the lower mandible on the first photo.

View attachment 204986View attachment 204987View attachment 204988View attachment 204989View attachment 204990
Nice set of photos ISv!

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

macrunning

Enjoying the Ride
Feb 12, 2021
WA
Just recently I have observed some very aggressive behaviour by the Coots. This was late evening Coot-Gull) and so ISO 6400 and at quite a distance but you can still see what is going on. They are also pretty violent with one another and have quite the claws. The youngsters were none too happy.

Jack
Those things have lizard feet!

Upvote 0