We haven’t forgotten about the Canon EOS R1, and you probably haven’t either [CR2]

May 4, 2022
I'm certain there are lots of people like you. That doesn't make you the target demographic though. Is there a reason you prefer stills bodies to Red or Blackmagic type bodies designed for the job? Seems to me that if Canon intended to design video in as a high end feature they'd end up changing almost everything about the 1Dx body. For a start I'd want a bunch of holes to bolt things to, better support for external screens, more buttons etc.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Let's wait and see, how long it takes until we have a first [CR2] rated spec list...
And is anyone willing to make a first guess about the price? ;)
I think we're looking at between $8 and 10K USD. If its got that thumbhole grip that showed up in some patent here a long time ago, plus 12k video, plus no overheating, plus QPAF, plus, plus, plus.....then Canon will want to establish themselves the leader and put a premium price on it to match.

Having a 1 series body is on my bucket list. But I'm afraid it'll never happen as Canon continues to push up the price scale with all their offerings. Not like its the end of the world, but there is a reason I don't own a Leica, and its the same reason I won't own this Canon (if my guess on pricing turns out true).

Maybe I'll look at the R3 instead. They should hit the used market at a decent discount once the R1 is out. Especially given all the grief they get online.

-Brian

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
I've been on the fence about buying an R3, mostly because of the unknown specs of the upcoming R1.

The main thing "holding me back" from just getting the R3 is that I'd prefer a larger sensor (between 35 and 65 MPx or so). If the R1 ends up being significantly more than that, like 80MPx or more, I'll need to consider whether that's really ideal. Handling 80MPx files would be a pain in the butt, especially if shot at 30fps or more. Noise performance would need to be equal to the R3 when down-sampled to consider it as an option.

There are also a few other features that I'd love to see in the high-end Canon cameras.
- pre-capture mode (buffering shots when half-pressing the shutter button, and saving a buffer once you press it)
- more options for burst rates (not just having 30, 15, and 3 fps options; perhaps also having options for 10 and 6 fps)

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
As an R3 owner I am the target audience for this camera: So here’s what would I like to see? …
As an R3 owner I could not care less about any of those things.

Lesson: Don’t assume that you are representative of the market.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
As an R3 owner I am the target audience for this camera: So here’s what would I like to see? …

Lesson: Don’t assume that you are representative of the market.
Another R3 owner here, and I also don't care about video features of the R1 (nor do I assume I represent the market). I just ordered a Vixia HF G60 (with a large-for-a-camcorder 1" sensor and a 26-380mm FFeq FoV lens) for when I need to shoot video.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
The global shutter would be pretty cool though, not gonna lie. :)

Granted that burst rates were lower, the 1-series bodies still have H/M/L settings for fps but allowed setting specific frame rates for each of those.
Ah! That's very interesting. I hope they implement something similar for the R1.

Upvote 0

unfocused

Photos/Photo Book Reviews: www.thecuriouseye.com
Jul 20, 2010
Springfield, IL
www.thecuriouseye.com
Maybe I'll look at the R3 instead. They should hit the used market at a decent discount once the R1 is out. Especially given all the grief they get online.

-Brian
The “grief” comes from people who don’t own or use the R3, so I would not count on their sales of non-existing cameras to reduce the price or flood the market.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
How about a 35mmx35mm sensor, or a 35mm circle sensor and remove the grip on the bottom of the camera? It's probably the most obvious ergonomic change they could make and would give an immediately useful range of features for photographers in terms of framing after the fact, or through in camera software. GoPro have led the way here, but I can see it catching on very quickly once camera companies realise they don't have to make the sensor a rectangle

• Haha
Upvote 0

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
I used to shoot with a 1D X before migrating to a R5.
I still miss the ergonomics (apart from 1 thing: I absolutely adore the 3-wheel setup of the R5), battery life and the feeling of indestructibility. The R5 wins on AF, resolution and I love some of the new RF glass.

Because I want high resolution (like the 45mp on the R5 a lot, like the 80mp on my IQ1 80 even more), the R3 was not on the cards for me, even if I like a lot all the rest of it. Yes yes I could survive with the 18mp of the 1D X, but, for me, more resolution is better any time.
Video is not important to me but nice to have. For me good AF in video is more important than resolution and the R5 already does great for that.

So, depending on specs, I am definitely interest in the R1, even though I am not in a hurry since a) the R5 is great and b) I will already spend on the future (?) new RF fast primes :cry: :ROFLMAO:
Give me 80+ mp, even better AF (maybe with the eye AF of the R3?), at least as fast as the R5, body similar as the R3, even better viewfinder, and I am in

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
How about a 35mmx35mm sensor, or a 35mm circle sensor and remove the grip on the bottom of the camera? It's probably the most obvious ergonomic change they could make and would give an immediately useful range of features for photographers in terms of framing after the fact, or through in camera software. GoPro have led the way here, but I can see it catching on very quickly once camera companies realise they don't have to make the sensor a rectangle
This has been suggested every year or so for at least the past decade by someone who thinks they just invented the wheel (because it's round like the sensor they want, I suppose).

charlie-brown-fail.gif

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA

Could any of the current RF lenses support an image circle that size? I'm thinking not. Would not be ideal to have to have separate lenses for your 1 series.

I guess with a round sensor, you'd never have to tip your camera for a portrait orientation again. So you wouldn't need the integrated grip. But then you're also going to have to crop every image to your desired output format. Hmm...IDK if we'll ever see that in a MILC type camera or not. But I doubt the R1 would bring such a revolution anyway. Maybe for whatever mount comes next. Plus, the waste of round sensors on the circuit wafer would be large for large sensor sizes. I imagine go-pro can do it because their chips are tiny, and the resulting waste percentage less. But it would be quite costly for FF sensors I imagine.

-Brian

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
In a sense I like that they are taking their time. Some great features came with the Z9 and other flagship cameras (like the bursts on buffer idea) and it gives time to Canon to embed those ideas in its new design. Ergonomically speaking, I find the R3 to be the perfect camera. On the wishlist are only a couple more pixels (maybe 40 max?) and more importantly a second CF express slot. The SD slot of the R3 is its most frustrating limitation.
I wonder if they might consider one removable memory slot combined with onboard memory, like 1TB or so?

I think I saw something like this on the new Hasselblad body released the other day....

Might they go for something like that on the new Canon?

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
Could any of the current RF lenses support an image circle that size? I'm thinking not. Would not be ideal to have to have separate lenses for your 1 series.

I guess with a round sensor, you'd never have to tip your camera for a portrait orientation again. So you wouldn't need the integrated grip. But then you're also going to have to crop every image to your desired output format. Hmm...IDK if we'll ever see that in a MILC type camera or not. But I doubt the R1 would bring such a revolution anyway. Maybe for whatever mount comes next. Plus, the waste of round sensors on the circuit wafer would be large for large sensor sizes. I imagine go-pro can do it because their chips are tiny, and the resulting waste percentage less. But it would be quite costly for FF sensors I imagine.

-Brian
Of course they do, the image circle is a circle and currently reaches the edges of the sensor. If that sensor were round it would therefore reach fine.
There would not be a need to crop every time, you could easily set the image size and shape in software while recording the whole sensor in RAW format. GoPro does this on the Hero 11. It just means that you could choose either landscape, portrait, or choose later, or you could choose level landscape and have the camera correct in real-time for leveling as the GoPro does amazingly well.
waste is a pretty weak excuse, this is a $10k camera body! Even if that's an issue for round, it's certainly not for square which would allow the portrait/landscape thing

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
And yet, here we are still with rectangle sensors and camera grips in 2022. Just because it's been mentioned before doesn't make it a bad idea. It's frankly embarrassing that GoPro did it before Canon.
It does have some merits. But, there would be 50% more pixels so the sensor would cost a lot more, the file sizes would be 50% bigger so taking up more space on the card, the computer, reducing burst size, slowing read out etc, with the extra pixels mainly being discarded on cropping to rectangular.

Upvote 0
May 4, 2022
It does have some merits. But, there would be 50% more pixels so the sensor would cost a lot more, the file sizes would be 50% bigger so taking up more space on the card, the computer, reducing burst size, slowing read out etc, with the extra pixels mainly being discarded on cropping to rectangular.
Not really good reasons not to do it though, your same statements could have been written about Raw files before they became standard.
It would be easy enough with modern sensors to only read out the pixels needed, or to only write relevant ones to disk. The next gen DIGIC processor will certainly have the bandwidth to cope, and storage space just isn't an issue worth considering in 2023-24.
Don't forget we're talking about the flagship ultra high end here, not an M series with an SD card and limited memory. The benefits for photographers obviously outweigh the drawbacks here, there's no good argument against as far as I can see.

• Haha
Upvote 0