Canon EOS R6 Mark II – Here are some more specifications

It is not technically feasible to get DSLR battery life from a mirrorless camera.

#what
I get the same life out of one R6 battery as all my old dslrs including 1dx2. 2-3hrs continuous event photography. Maybe better as with electronic shutter I can do over 1000 pics easy on 1 charge and I think it was less before

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
What about GPS ?

(Somewhat shorter battery life like 50% is OK - but 300 images from one battery is rather little ...)
No R cameras beside the R3 have GPS builtin, you'll need to use a GP-E2 in the hot shoe or the Canon Connect app on your phone and failing that, an external solution if you want to geotag your pictures.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The 1DX mk III and the R6 share a sensor. The 1DX mk III costs about as much as the R3.

The distinguishing features of the R3 are its eye-autofocus, body/handling, and toughness, btw.
Just look at the feature set on the rumoured R6 II vs R3, very far from being the same.

It is a different sensor.

Every product is segmented.

The R6 is limited by rolling shutter, overheating and internal recording limit.
The R6 II will be limited by the 4k60p crop and still not great rolling shutter (pretty much just like the A7 IV)
4k120p is only presented in the R5 or upwards.

The reason why the R6 used that sensor is because it was an old sensor to being with.
The 1DX III is obsolete at this point, they offer it, but they want people to move systems.

In fact, the R6 II sensor might be cheaper to produce than the R6 sensor, hence the change.

Upvote 0
Feb 21, 2020
The 1DX mk III and the R6 share a sensor. The 1DX mk III costs about as much as the R3.

The distinguishing features of the R3 are its eye-autofocus, body/handling, and toughness, btw.
The distinguishing feature of the R3 is the stacked BSI sensor, it's literally the first thing they talk about in all of the marketing materials and it's their only camera to feature this technology. You can get toughness and handling in other Canon DSLRs, and eye controlled focus in their film cameras.

Canon is not going to give you their best technology at a midrange price point. And given the cost of the technology they probably couldn't even if they wanted to.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
The 1DX III was only out a year before the R6.
I thought that the 1DX III used a new sensor.
Correct, it was a new sensor and a new lowpass filter in the 1DxIII. The filter alone was a big improvement, it preserved much more fine detail compared to older sensors.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
The 1DX III was only out a year before the R6.
I thought that the 1DX III used a new sensor.
It's routes are pretty old, not completely different to what it was in the 1DX II, except a new filter and a Digic X processor squeezing a lot more out of it.
If we compare 4k rolling shutter in the 1.4x crop mode, it's pretty much the same. Coincidence?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Personally, I doubt Canon will use the R3’s stacked, BSI sensor in the R6II. As others have stated, it’s costly to produce. The 1D X III sensor is commonly-used current tech, the R3 sensor is new in many ways.

Still, if they do it will be great for the R6II buyers.

But…what if they don’t put a stacked sensor in the R5II?

Upvote 0

Bob Howland

CR Pro
Mar 25, 2012
Personally, I doubt Canon will use the R3’s stacked, BSI sensor in the R6II. As others have stated, it’s costly to produce. The 1D X III sensor is commonly-used current tech, the R3 sensor is new in many ways.

Still, if they do it will be great for the R6II buyers.

But…what if they don’t put a stacked sensor in the R5II?
I'm skeptical about how expensive the R3 sensor really is. The OM-1 has a stacked BSI Sony sensor, although obviously a smaller one, in a $2200 camera body and rumor has it that OMD is about to put the same sensor into a $1600 body.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Aug 26, 2015
I'm skeptical about how expensive the R3 sensor really is. The OM-1 has a stacked BSI Sony sensor, although obviously a smaller one, in a $2200 camera body and rumor has it that OMD is about to put the same sensor into a $1600 body.
Apples to oranges, that stacked sensor isn't the most state of the art. 1/125s readout speed is the slowest, slower than 1/160s in the first-gen A9 from 2017. So it wouldn't be surprising to see it in a cheaper product. The R3 sensor is 1/200s despite being four times larger.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
There are stacked BSI sensors in lots of smartphones, too. It’s not just about sensor size, larger sensors have disproportionately lower yields. A FF sensor costs significantly more than 4x what a m4/3 sensor costs to produce.

Upvote 0
Your argument is that Canon made such a vast excess of sensors for a $6000 camera aimed at the top of the market that they have enough of them sitting around —just the fabricated silicon, not assembled into R3 bodies— to support the production of a $2500 camera aimed at the middle-low end of the enthusiast market that will most likely sell more units in a year than the R3 will sell in its life cycle.

Are you onto something? Or just on something? :oops:
Oh hey narcissist, you kids always think you have the answers as well as thinking you know all and I just through a possibility out into the ether knowing that you of all people would respond and make some ad hominem attack and sir you did. Good job you are predictable, now to my comment of canon using its sensors in other cameras.

Canon seems to do this often and if I remember correctly the c200 sensor was based off of the 1dxmkii and canon always seems to try to multi purpose sensors (as it is intelligent). So it could be feasible that they made a lot of sensors when they could as there has been shortages in the world and just maybe the demand was not that high for the r 3 at first and maybe just maybe canon thought hey these are not moving like anticipated sooooooo let’s repurpose, or maybe not but at least I got the narcissist to come out and do what he does best.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
...now to my comment of canon using its sensors in other cameras.

Canon seems to do this often and if I remember correctly the c200 sensor was based off of the 1dxmkii and canon always seems to try to multi purpose sensors (as it is intelligent). So it could be feasible that they made a lot of sensors when they could as there has been shortages in the world and just maybe the demand was not that high for the r 3 at first and maybe just maybe canon thought hey these are not moving like anticipated sooooooo let’s repurpose, or maybe not but at least I got the narcissist to come out and do what he does best.
So, now you're saying that Canon made extra sensors for the 1DXII then used them in the C200, instead? What did they do to those extra 1DXII sensors, just cut them down to Super 35 size and stick them in the C200? :ROFLMAO: Or maybe you don't remember correctly.:rolleyes:

Screen Shot 2022-10-13 at 8.47.22 AM.png

Of course Canon reuses technology across their lines. But you're talking about making too many sensors for one camera then using them in another camera that will be produced in far greater numbers than the original.

Sorry, calling ridiculous suggestions asinine doesn't make me a narcissist, just someone who has a firm grasp on reality and can easily spot fools.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
Well, I hope the R5 mark one camera don't all suddenly stop working when the R5II launches.
It would if it were made by Adobe. I opened PS one day when not connected to the internet and Adobe tried to delete the app as it thought my account had expired.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0