The Canon EOS R6 Mark II will be announced on November 2, 2022

D

Deleted member 381342

How much more? Again. I have no idea so I need a number to go off
I can't give you exact prices since even if I did have that information it wouldn't be public. I can give you sensor replacement costs from Nikon however, $250-$300 for the Z7 45MP BSI sensor and $3000 for a replacement Z9 sensor. This tracks with my understanding that stacked sensors are at least 10x more expensive and I believe they are volatile as there is some DRAM on the package.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

I am just surprised - if announcement is just a day away, why was there no sign of any attempts to clear existing R6 stock from Canon?
They could've cleared a big stockpile through promos before the mark-II release :unsure:
Post news release, they will have to drop the mark-1 prices even more to move it.
Maybe the stocks are already low. I kinda imagine the R6 Mk2 is a cost cutting exercise since the OG R6 uses sensors intended for the 1Dx line.

Upvote 0

Sharlin

CR Pro
Dec 26, 2015
Turku, Finland
I am just surprised - if announcement is just a day away, why was there no sign of any attempts to clear existing R6 stock from Canon?
...what existing stock? In what reality do you live in? Here in the real world they have almost certainly sold every single R6 that they have managed to manufacture, thanks to high demand combined with Covid-related supply issues.

Upvote 0
I have to admit I'm confused by this. Apart from the extra megapixels, it doesn't sound like a big change.

It also seems strange to be updating the "baby brother" without a similar bump to the R5 - weren't they were originally released together?
To me,a change in the sensor is the biggest change you can make in a camera, especially if it's a BSI stacked sensor. Look at the A7RV. It's basically the same camera, with the same sensor as the A7RIV and it took over 3 years for that. It has a new LCD (finally not the typical Sony crap) and apparently improved AF (though still not as good as the R5 or R6 apparently).
The R6 came out 2 years ago, so this could be a very big change. I know we used to wait many years for updates to cameras and the changes were very small, like with the 5DII, III, IV etc. Generally increases in MP are the biggest upgrades in cameras (I remember going from the 1D2n to the 1D3 and 1D4 was very small aside from slight bumps in megapixels).

Upvote 0
The R6 is an extremely good camera, and the only real reason why it "needs" updating is the perceived notion that 20MP isn't good enough, i.e. not as big a number as the sensors is Nikon and Sony competitors. I doubt very much if anyone will notice any difference in real terms between the 20MP sensor of the R6 and the 24MP sensor of the R6 Mkii.

On paper, there don't appear to be any other major changes, apart from the unexpected and unusual addition of a digital teleconverter, this being the first time that such a feature has been included in a pro-level camera. I suspect that it may incorporate some AI software that will improve sharpness and detail rendition over and above what would be normally expected from such a feature.

As for a "R5 Mkii" - the R5 is a superb camera, when it gets updated I'd expect only a few minor enhancements. Sometime in early 2023 we'll probably see the announcement of a hi-res "R5S", and I'd expect the "R5 Mkii" to be announced alongside it.
I will say the 20MP on the R6 scales up REALLY nicely. I downloaded raw files from the R5 and R6 taken of landscapes, natural light portraits, and studio portraits. When output to 45 MP using Adobe Camera Raw, and then overlayed over the R5 files, I could almost never tell a difference. In fact if I used the enhance feature of ACR and output to 45 MP, the R6 files always looked better than the native R5 files when zoomed to 100% on a 5k monitor (I sent blank PSDs to a fellow graphic designer/photographer and he picked the R6 files as being more detailed 9 times out of 10, viewed 100% on 5K monitors). These were taken with the best Canon RF primes too (including the RF85 1.2). Basically anything you can print (or crop) with R5 files at 45 MP, you can print an R6 file. Though I don't think many people actually print, it's more about "bragging rights" or feeling they got the most for their money. I have printed advertisements for transit buses from 10 MP cams that look amazing btw.
I think people get really caught up in numbers and marketing. In fact I know it because I've been one of those people. I refused to get an R6 because it was a step down from the 5DIV and EOS R that I had when it came to megapixels. However, in real world there is no real difference in detail (though the 5DIV files were just so clean to me). I do think some people worry about resale of a low MP camera. I've even had photographers tell me that they've had customers ask "how many megapixels is your camera" before they hire them. LOL.

Upvote 0
Good point about the R5C. Still feels weird they're on different cycles. Maybe that's because I'm used to Apple updating their more premium products more often than their downmarket offerings (iPhone and Watch SEs for example.)
Yes this has traditionally been the opposite of what camera manufacturers like Canon have done. I've used Canon cameras for 18 years and the low end cams get updated the most frequent and the top end cams get updated a lot less frequently. Sony has sort of bucked that trend as they update cams very often (which I personally don't like) and it's forced other companies to do something similar.

Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
I can't give you exact prices since even if I did have that information it wouldn't be public. I can give you sensor replacement costs from Nikon however, $250-$300 for the Z7 45MP BSI sensor and $3000 for a replacement Z9 sensor. This tracks with my understanding that stacked sensors are at least 10x more expensive and I believe they are volatile as there is some DRAM on the package.
That is a massive difference.if that is purely down to the cost of the sensor then yep. No way the r62 will have a stacked sensor.

Upvote 0
D

Deleted member 381342

That is a massive difference.if that is purely down to the cost of the sensor then yep. No way the r62 will have a stacked sensor.
Only difference there is that Canon make their own sensors and Nikon get Sony to fab theirs. But still, a crop sensor stacked is priced with a R6 mostly due to that sensor.

Upvote 0

jam05

R5, C70
Mar 12, 2019
Pricing of high end items are determined by "Value Marketing". Not raw material cost. The price of the device doesn't have anthing to do with the individual component material prices. If it did, the camera would cost about $400. Stacked sensors are cheaper to manufacture than plan BSI CMOS sensors. Why? Because the supporting electronic componentes that must be included. CMOS sensor don't operate in a vacuum. Stacked sensors have the supporting electronics in the layer beneath. The electronics layer. Manufactured in the the second layer run.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Aussie shooter

https://brettguyphotography.picfair.com/
Dec 6, 2016
brettguyphotography.picfair.com
Pricing of high end items are determined by "Value Marketing". Not raw material cost. The price of the device doesn't have anthing to do with the individual component material prices. If it did, the camera would cost about $400. Stacked sensors are cheaper to manufacture than plan BSI CMOS sensors. Why? Because the supporting electronic componentes that must be included. CMOS sensor don't operate in a vacuum. Stacked sensors have the supporting electronics in the layer beneath. The electronics layer. Manufactured in the the second layer run.
I agree with the first part of your statement. Prices are not determined purely by material cost. As for the second, I would need to see actual evidence of manufacturing costs before i believed it

Upvote 0