Canon will release a trio of RF mount wide angle L prime lenses in the first half of 2023

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[...] But, one glaring omission is to leave out market share, which Sony is gaining on Canon.[...]
Is it? Do you mean market share for cameras+lenses, cameras or only FF cameras? Are you talking about global or local market share? The numbers I've seen from retailers and analyssts aren't very convincing either way and Sony is still playing musical chairs with their yearly reporting by moving their camera unit around so you can't do year-over-year comparisons. Canon will say "we shipped 3 million cameras this year", Sony reports "This division made some profit, the camera unit will move out".

When I look at tech youtubers, it's pretty much Sony all the way. When I look around in my neighbourhood it's virtually only smartphones. When I go on a photography workshop it's 75% Canon, 20% Nikon and a sprinkling of OlympusOM system, Pentax and Sony. When I read CanonRumours Canon is both doomed and perpetual market leader.
And Sony will issue a press releases that for a single day in August, for a single retailer, between 9 and 10 AM that day, they sold more FF bodies with a greek letter than anyone else :)

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
But, one glaring omission is to leave out market share, which Sony is gaining on Canon.
In 2021 (the most recent data available), Sony’s YoY gain in camera market share was 1.9%. Canon’s gain was 2.5%. Canon’s current camera market share of 48% is over double that of #2 Sony. Several years ago, Canon was a bit lower, low to mid 40’s, and #2 Nikon was much closer, in the high 30’s. Both the longer-term and current trends show Canon continuing to gain market share at a faster rate than their competitors.

Sorry, but the only glaring omission here is your failure to know the actual data.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Sorry, but the only glaring omission here is your failure to know the actual data

By far, the best year-over-year performance goes to Sony, which saw its market share increase by 3.5 percentage points.

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

By far, the best year-over-year performance goes to Sony, which saw its market share increase by 3.5 percentage points.
Seriously, you are going to use data on camera and lens rentals by one rental vendor in one country to support your point? I mean, seriously? WTF?!?

Maybe you think 'market share' in that blog post means actual camera and lens sales, if so you need to read more carefully. The whole article is about rental data from LensRentals. Did you take lessons from @nunataks on how to cherry pick data to support erroneous conclusions?

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010

Speculative reports on predictions for the next 5 years? Lol. Remember when the DSLR was going to be dead (as in, no more commercial production) in 5 years? That was 2013, and in 2021 40% of the cameras that Canon sold were DSLRs.

Market segments and subsegments? That's a rabbit hole that @koenkooi already mentioned. News flash, Leica dominates the market share of camera brands starting with the letter 'L'. I mean, they're not even a blip in global camera sales, but if all you care about is L-named brands, Leica is the clear winner.

Why don't you go and Google '2021 global camera market share'?

Upvote 0

shadow

M50
Sep 20, 2022
Here is a 2022 report, but I am sure it too is erroneous.

The Japanese Techno System Research published their latest digital camera global market share (the orange circle shows the Japanese companies at 94.4% based on 8.49 million units shipped):

1. Canon: 45.8% (-2.1%)
  2. Sony: 27% (+4.9%)
  3. Nikon: 11.3% (-2.4%)
  4. Fujifilm: 5.9% (+0.3%)
  5. Panasonic: 4.4% (unchanged)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Here is a 2022 report, but I am sure it too is erroneous.

The Japanese Techno System Research published their latest digital camera global market share (the orange circle shows the Japanese companies at 94.4% based on 8.49 million units shipped):

1. Canon: 45.8% (-2.1%)
  2. Sony: 27% (+4.9%)
  3. Nikon: 11.3% (-2.4%)
  4. Fujifilm: 5.9% (+0.3%)
  5. Panasonic: 4.4% (unchanged)
Thanks, that’s the kind of data I’m talking about! This is the ‘current’ version (released last month) of the data to which I was referring, which was released last year. I hadn't seen these data yet. I should have taken my own advice!

Canon still dominates the market, of course, but that’s a notable gain for Sony. And yet another losing year for Nikon in spite of several new camera launches.

In light of this, Canon’s APS-C R bodies make more sense. The biggest potential market segment overall comprises xxD and xxxD owners, given Canon’s dominance of the DSLR market for years. If the new R bodies appeal to that segment, I suspect the trend will revert to what it’s been for years. But time will tell. Sony has a long way to go to be anything but #2, but a 7% yearly gain is impressive!

Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
Given it would have the same physical aperture as a 300 f/2.8 I think that pricing is extremely optimistic.
Not overly optimistic if it is this mirror lens

Upvote 0
Not overly optimistic if it is this mirror lens
Possible but in that case I wouldn't expect great quality, despite all the wishful thinking on that thread.

Upvote 0
Canon shocked the world with the 28-70 2.0. I personally never thought there would be lower than a 2.8 on a zoom lens. I'm not sure this will be possible but I would absolutely love a 70-200 2.0. I know everyone here loves primes but I just love not changing lenses every 5 minutes lol.
-Tracy
Nashville boudoir photography

Upvote 0