Canon will soon announce the Canon EOS R8 and Canon EOS R50 along with two new kit lenses

roby17269

R5, H5X + IQ1-80, DJI Mini & Mavic 3 Pro, GoPro 10
Feb 26, 2014
New York
rdmfashionphoto.com
Are you serious? Canon has plenty new and interesting. PLENTY.
I am indeed.
Interesting is a relative term - I should have added "to me" in my post.
So, to me, they have been much more daring at the beginning. But the majority of their latest announcements are "meh" to me.
I look forward to a 35mm 1.2L and to a high resolution R5 or R1. I look forward to other high-end lenses to fill the gaps in the lineup.
I do not look forward to consumer cameras and lenses.
That's me.
If the latest announcements are interesting to you, that's absolutely fine.

Upvote 0
I agree, I have DSLR since 2006 and I don't remember ever moving the drive away from single shot, excluding the self timer/remote drive; 1fps is fast enough for me, then I understand someone else needs, or simply likes, speed, but hell 6/8fps is already blazing fast, complain abut 20fps is a nonsense, you better shoot a video at 24fps then, or even at faster framerates, and extract the single frames out of it.
But hey, they have to sell cameras somehow, and it fps sells...one day the wedding photographers will do no more stills, just videos, so they extract the best frames ahah so you don't lose the moment. Pathetic. You just press the button and hope something good will be caught in the 50/100/200 frames you'll take in 10 seconds.
I have always used bursts to mitigate for unavoidable limitations - slight variations in focus and camera shake, for instance. Depends what you're shooting, but it can be a big help. Characterising it as lazy is unnecessary narrowminded imo.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I have always used bursts to mitigate for unavoidable limitations - slight variations in focus and camera shake, for instance. Depends what you're shooting, but it can be a big help. Characterising it as lazy is unnecessary narrowminded imo.

I was a little too sarcastic, yes I admit, but today we're talking...40fps for the R6II? REALLY? And it's pushed as a big selling point...c'mon, how many people would really need 40fps?! The sarcasm "so then better to shoot a video" was a joke, but serious indeed.

I said "there's surely someone who needs more speed then me", and i Believe it, but i think we went too much out of our mind, today people ar moaning "that camera JUST has 15/18/20 fps, sooooo slow, the other one has 30/40fps, how anyone other manufacturer dare to propose something so slow as 20 fps?!" and yes, I'm still being sarcastic, but I'm sure for each person that use the feature with intelligence, there are 99 that just shoot bursts of 100/150/200 pics to find a couple that ended up being fine.

Upvote 0
The true picture of mine:
  • I am an M50 user with a Kit and 22m f2 lens.
  • As a content creator, it is not fit for me for its stabilization in video.
  • I purchased it for my budget range at the end of 2019.
  • I use DJI pocket 2 for any walking or trip reports (to me it is a better low light wobble free video than GoPro 10) and M50 for B-roll, pictures or others.
Sell and budget :
  • Canon M50 with Kit and 22m F2 I will get 630-670 USD (Bangladesh).
  • I can add another 700-800USD
  • The new budget can be 1400-1600 USD including the lens.
Options:
  • Sony A7C (1400USD in Bangladesh), with Tamron/Viltrox 24mm
  • Fuji XS-10 with Sigma 16mm f1.4
  • Canon R10 with 18-150 or (16mm 2.8 and 501.8).
  • RP with 35mm F1.8
  • Canon R8 with 16mm 2.8 or 50mm 1.8
Which one I should ? I know nothing about R8. Or it will be over budget?
Not sure what the market is like in Bangladesh, but here in California, I sold my M50 with kit for $320 and 22 f2 for $120 last December. Good for you if you can get $600+ there.

Upvote 0
The R50 would be priced against the ZV-E10 which does not have IBIS.
The R8 is significantly cheaper than the a7 III which is really up against the original R6.
R8 will definitely not be preferable without IBIS. at this price sony will offer A7c mark 2 with IBIS. R50 will be preferable only because it provides lenses like 15-45 IS STM f3.5 to 6.3. I am sure why Canon start with f4.5. Sony is definitely better in low light, still, they offer kit lenses from f3.5.

Upvote 0
Yes but with the given rumored specs for R8 it seems to be a step higher than R6 which doesn't make sense to me at all and at this price! Every camera from Canon for the last 20 years at least shows that every model with a higher number has lower specs. 1D, 5D, 6D, 7D, **D, ***D -> R1, R3, R5, R6, R7, R8, R10 etc.
That's because R6 is one generation behind. R8 doesn't have (at least the rumored spec) higher spec than R6 mark II.

Upvote 0
Not sure what the market is like in Bangladesh, but here in California, I sold my M50 with kit for $320 and 22 f2 for $120 last December. Good for you if you can get $600+ there.
Currently, a new M50 Mark II costs 72-75K BDT, equivalent to 670 USD new with kit lens. Canon 22m f2 is in demand, but no such supplier from the USA, Japan, or Malaysia should come forward. So its price is 25 thousand rupees.

Total 96-100K new part, because my camera is fresh I can definitely buy it for 67-68K which is equal to 650USD

Upvote 0
I was a little too sarcastic, yes I admit, but today we're talking...40fps for the R6II? REALLY? And it's pushed as a big selling point...c'mon, how many people would really need 40fps?! The sarcasm "so then better to shoot a video" was a joke, but serious indeed.

I said "there's surely someone who needs more speed then me", and i Believe it, but i think we went too much out of our mind, today people ar moaning "that camera JUST has 15/18/20 fps, sooooo slow, the other one has 30/40fps, how anyone other manufacturer dare to propose something so slow as 20 fps?!" and yes, I'm still being sarcastic, but I'm sure for each person that use the feature with intelligence, there are 99 that just shoot bursts of 100/150/200 pics to find a couple that ended up being fine.
Oh definitely, the higher it goes, the fewer people will benefit in practice.

Upvote 0

I went from RP to R6 II.. so 4.5 fps to 40 fps.. The reason I wanted higher fps was to shoot my daughter doing gymnastics. The additional fps makes world of difference. Even going from 12 fps mechanical to 40 electric shutter.. I get shots that benefits from higher fps. Like her taking off from spring board to doing aerial moves.. Doing back flip on balance beam.. a lot of the shots I get were not possible with slower fps RP

Upvote 0

Deepboy

Headshot photographer
Jun 28, 2017
Italy
I went from RP to R6 II.. so 4.5 fps to 40 fps.. The reason I wanted higher fps was to shoot my daughter doing gymnastics. The additional fps makes world of difference. Even going from 12 fps mechanical to 40 electric shutter.. I get shots that benefits from higher fps. Like her taking off from spring board to doing aerial moves.. Doing back flip on balance beam.. a lot of the shots I get were not possible with slower fps RP

Just learn the game (or the gym movements and timings, in your case); I used to shoot many many years ago volleyball, and I was shooting with a canon 10D (yes, I said it was maaaaany years ago), I don't remember what was 10D's framerate (probably no more then 3/4fps I guess), but believe me I was shooting with 1fps drive, and I was nailing 80% of the shots, because I knew the game, so I knew when someone was going to receive, jump, hit the ball, run for it, etc, and being used to reactions times of the 10D, I knew what was going to happen in the next half second, and was pressing the shutter with the fraction of a second before, so when the picture was taken the action was developing as I had predicted.

That was I was saying with my posts, when you had no motor, or 2/3fps motors (saying "motor" I mean during film days, when I started), you just learned what was happening in front of you, you trained to understand and anticipate the game, and so you were getting the right moments at the right time; now it's a bovine 40fps race to take 300 pics and choose a couple. I'm old, surely, but I don't like it, that's all, it's the death of the photographer's ability and understanding of what's happening in front of you.

Upvote 0
Just learn the game (or the gym movements and timings, in your case); I used to shoot many many years ago volleyball, and I was shooting with a canon 10D (yes, I said it was maaaaany years ago), I don't remember what was 10D's framerate (probably no more then 3/4fps I guess), but believe me I was shooting with 1fps drive, and I was nailing 80% of the shots, because I knew the game, so I knew when someone was going to receive, jump, hit the ball, run for it, etc, and being used to reactions times of the 10D, I knew what was going to happen in the next half second, and was pressing the shutter with the fraction of a second before, so when the picture was taken the action was developing as I had predicted.

That was I was saying with my posts, when you had no motor, or 2/3fps motors (saying "motor" I mean during film days, when I started), you just learned what was happening in front of you, you trained to understand and anticipate the game, and so you were getting the right moments at the right time; now it's a bovine 40fps race to take 300 pics and choose a couple. I'm old, surely, but I don't like it, that's all, it's the death of the photographer's ability and understanding of what's happening in front of you.
It's not learning the game.. It's just math. For example, I get to capture my daughter landing on balance beam after a flip, and when she mis-steps and falls, I get to capture those moments and her expression. Not possible with 1 fps.

I don't get people hating on new tech. It's like saying.. 'in my days.. I had to hand crank the car to start.. drivers nowadays don't know how to drive'..

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Just learn the game (or the gym movements and timings, in your case)...

I'm old, surely, but I don't like it, that's all, it's the death of the photographer's ability and understanding of what's happening in front of you.
Sure, sure. And just learn math. If you have to divide a couple of large numbers, grab a pen and a piece of scratch paper. When it's tax time, grab the 1040 form and the 113 page IRS instruction book, a pen, and a tablet full of scratch paper.

I, too, shot sports in the days when frames per second (or more realistically, seconds per frame) was determined by how fast your thumb could push the film advance lever, focusing was aligning the image in a split prism, and dodge and burn during post processing used physical tools and light, not a monitor and trackpad. Personally, I'm thrilled that current technology allows me to use a calculator or to capture a decisive moment with very little risk of missing it.

In the case of shooting gymnastics, or any sport for that matter, as a parent one will attend a relative handful of meets/games/events. Once a week, maybe less frequently, and only during the season for that sport. 'Learning the game,' particularly from a photography standpoint, often requires more regularity than that.

If you want to use pen and paper to do your taxes and set your 40 fps-capable camera to single shot mode because you are skilled at math and photography (or a neo-luddite), good for you. But please don't try to make people who benefit from modern technology feel lacking because it helps them achieve the results they want.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
That's not what I meant. I'm not buying APS-C to put a big adaptor on it, unless it's an exotic EF lens, like a big telephoto.
Forcing to choose between dark zooms and using older lenses with adapter is not really a choice.
It's not a choice for you, but apparently others are smarter. Those of us actually taking photos with those dark zooms are having no issues.

Upvote 0

SteveC

R5
CR Pro
Sep 3, 2019
The most critical issue now is the brain burst when one has to flicker through 200.000 images shot in one day. Pretty sure shrinks will be confronted with completely new mental issues never seen before :devilish:

As I said a few months ago, if I buy a terabyte card and fill it up I have created a whole new set of problems for myself.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
R8 hoping for IBIS, one card slot, new AF, no video time limit, uncropped 4k 30 with the 30 minute limit lifted, 10 fps, newer sensor with improved dynamic range over the RP.

Not too much to ask for $1,500 is it?

They’ve been pretty tight lipped in it since up until now, Rumors had it as another APS-C slotted between the R7 and R10.

They really need to put a sensor in the R7 that cuts back significantly in the rolling shutter. It renders the Electronic shutter basically useless Most amazing feature on it is the 30fps es using the .5 second buffered imaging. Catches multiple images of birds in flight nearly everytime you use it. Except they almost all have curved or multiple wings. Really stupid weakness to leave in a wildlife camera.

Upvote 0

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
RF 24-50 seems like an odd range. Traditionally the cross-over focal length was 70 mm, to pair with a 70-200. Right now the kit lens is the RF 24-105, which pairs with the 100-400. What will the 24-50 pair with? Beginners are not going to like gaps in their focal length ranges.

As for the APSC gear - I was really hoping the EF-S 15-85 and 55-250 would be adapted to RF-S. I'll keep waiting, I guess.

In general, I used to skip Canon's kit lens offerings and buy a decent third-party lens. I learned this the hard way when my first camera (film) came with a 28-80. What a dud that thing was. Fast-forward a few years to the 300D. I skipped that first 18-55 for a Tamron 17-50/2.8, which was an awesome piece of glass that served me well for many years. But now that Canon doesn't allow third-party RF and RF-S offerings, I guess that's not a strategy any more. Sigh.

Upvote 0