Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Current filename ending #s auto-wrap to 0 every 10,000 shots (AFAIK still) and I find that really annoying and hope it could be expanded to more than 4 ending digits.
That’s unlikely to change, IMO. My solution is a custom file name with my two initials, an underscore then a number that I manually increment every 10,000 shots, i.e., NN_0, NN_1. NN_2 … NN10, etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
Ninja V/V+ are prosumer gadgets - single battery (cannot hot swap), single memory storage (again not interchangeable during recording), plastic body and screen brightness of 1000 nits (not 2500), no XLR mic inputs (no phantom power), no automatic SDI->HDMI or HDMI->SDI conversion et cetera ad nauseam. Video menu set will change on the R5, it has to, to keep pace with the competition. It may not get ProRes but could easily get additional compressed RAW (like BRAW) that provides a better trade-off between file size and ability to edit. VIDEO is the differentiating feature for all mirrorless cameras now. Same for the anticipated R1 flagship, if it does not beat the Z9 (8K 60) then it will be deemed a failure. Long lens photo-only camera users need to adjust to this new reality.
As a stills users, I am starting to use video more now on my R5 but that casual use is far different from the needs (wants) of a dedicated cinema camera. Just understanding the video basics has been a steep learning curve and I am not sure that I need to understand more at this time.

Does having the R5C's dual menus meet the needs of dedicated video requirements vs the hybrid user's needs?
Does any hybrid camera currently meet your needs?

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jan 27, 2020
I often meet photographers who get very frustrated because they get "lost" amidst extensive Sony or Olympus menus, or can't understand the sometimes ambiguous terminology or icons. One of the attractions of Canon to many people is the relative simplicity of the GUI, and Canon seem content to sacrifice extra customisation in the name of simplicity, to avoid confusing less experienced users. I can see both sides of the argument. Personally I empathise with you and would prefer more customisation options.
Having used Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony cameras, I agree that Canon is the easiest to set up, and also the easiest to use. My main cameras now are Canon and Olympus, and the Olympus gives me many of the options that people have been discussing as what they want to see in the R5, but if I know that I want to be able to pick up the camera and shoot without having a refresher course on what my buttons do and how other items are set up, I pick up the Canon. And I am not a less experienced user having digital cameras since 2003 and cameras in general since 1979. That being said, I would love to see Canon implement AF limiter settings in camera. That may be the only thing I would like added to the R7. (Don't own the R5).
Many folks think it would be so easy to just keep adding firmware to give you more settings, more customizable buttons, etc. with no negatives. Makes me wonder, however, if all the freezing issues Canon (and other brands) have are related to the complexity of the firmware. My guess is more complexity will mean more freezing issues.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Having used Canon, Nikon, Olympus and Sony cameras, I agree that Canon is the easiest to set up, and also the easiest to use. My main cameras now are Canon and Olympus, and the Olympus gives me many of the options that people have been discussing as what they want to see in the R5, but if I know that I want to be able to pick up the camera and shoot without having a refresher course on what my buttons do and how other items are set up, I pick up the Canon. And I am not a less experienced user having digital cameras since 2003 and cameras in general since 1979. That being said, I would love to see Canon implement AF limiter settings in camera. That may be the only thing I would like added to the R7. (Don't own the R5).
Many folks think it would be so easy to just keep adding firmware to give you more settings, more customizable buttons, etc. with no negatives. Makes me wonder, however, if all the freezing issues Canon (and other brands) have are related to the complexity of the firmware. My guess is more complexity will mean more freezing issues.
Yes, firmware gets more complex with every new camera, and with literally thousands of customisation permutations available, it's impossible to test all of them and eliminate bugs before firmware is released. It takes time for users to report issues and for Canon to determine how rare they are, and whether they are caused by firmware issues, or by user error, or sub-standard components. Inevitably bugs and conflicts will occur, causing potential freezes.

Ideally manufacturers would incorporate system error reporting into cameras, and to transmit the report via bluetooth to a phone, from where it could be forwarded to the manufacturer. Unlikely to happen though.

Upvote 0
Maybe I'm wrong, in which case please correct me, but I thought that Canon used a combination of phase detect and contrast detect, i.e. phase detect to achieve approximate focus, and contrast detect to do the final fine-tuning.

Interested to learn that UV filters can cause inaccuracy with PDAF - if this is true, I wonder if there are suitable "protection filters" that won't cause such issues? I'm very reluctant to expose the front element to wind-blown sand and dust on safaris, so always use a filter. Also it's very easy to scuff lens coatings when shooting macro and poking the lens in amongst thorny or prickly vegetation!
I bought the Canon protect filters for my ef 70-200 f/2.8L is II and ef 24-70 f/2.8L II. While working as a sports photographer sometimes it really is just too wet, muddy, dusty, sandy etc etc for me not to err on the side of caution.

I assumed when I got them I would only have them on the lens when working and for my personal use would take them off.
However after doing some brief testing with them I really could not tell a difference with the filter on and off in regards to sharpness or autofocus speed and the filters simply stay on there now.

They were not extensive tests but enough that I felt comfortable to use them.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
I think it's unlikely that Canon will ever make "all buttons assignable to everything". Their philosophy seems similar to that of Apple, in as much as they try to keep things fairly simple. @koenkooi summed it up well earlier in this thread:
The Rate button is so well placed for left hand use but remapping it to something "useful" (at least as far as I am concerned) would be appreciated. Note that is is possible for R5C users.
I know that some users use it to Rate images but I would suggest that it isn't common amongst users. Having more assignable buttons is always appreciated for users.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com
RAW is a pixel-to-pixel readout from the sensor.
Anything else is only RAW in name which causes confusion.
and cRaw?
What would you call an oversampled/binned image in .CR3 format?
Noise reduction in RAW images including the well known star-eater Sony issue seems to muddy all the water.
Ultimately Canon (and Nikon/Sony etc) will provide the highest level quality and manipulation flexibility in their RAW format(s)

Upvote 0
How could you ever buy such a crappy Canon R5?
Buy a:love: Sony :love:, happiness, bliss, fortune and eternal love garanteed!
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.
haha, brand fanbois makin’ me smile.

It’s just a tool, lad. Ain’t about the brand name; it’s about how good it is at doing its job. Poor dynamic range means poor footage and a weak point in my gear lineup.

Sony? Why limit myself. I’ve seen some great lab tests from a number of brands. I’ve got the cash to play around, and the news that Canon isn’t going to add anything significant to their current lineup takes them out the competition, for the time being. It also means I’ve now got a great excuse to experiment with different ecosystems.

A firmware update isn’t gonna solve jack.

• Haha
  • Wow
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
I just remembered a feature currently not available on the R lineup, yet it existed before and is desperately needed nonetheless: Spot AE connected to the current AF-field.
AF point-linked spot metering in DSLRs was solely a feature of 1-series bodies. There’s no 1-series MILC yet, I hope that’s a feature of the R1. The R3 doesn’t have it, and Canon being Canon I seriously doubt it will show up in an R5 firmware update.

Upvote 0

It’s just a tool, lad. Ain’t about the brand name; it’s about how good it is at doing its job. Poor dynamic range means poor footage and a weak point in my gear lineup.

Sony? Why limit myself. I’ve seen some great lab tests from a number of brands. I’ve got the cash to play around, and the news that Canon isn’t going to add anything significant to their current lineup takes them out the competition, for the time being. It also means I’ve now got a great excuse to experiment with different ecosystems.

Are you talking about video DR or stills DR? I'm confused after skimming through the thread above - apologies if I have misunderstood. If you're talking about video, then it's worth pointing out that the R5C, which is obviously optimised for video (although a genuine hybrid) has a higher DR than the R5. Are you comparing apples with apples?

Upvote 0
Jan 22, 2012
As a stills users, I am starting to use video more now on my R5 but that casual use is far different from the needs (wants) of a dedicated cinema camera. Just understanding the video basics has been a steep learning curve and I am not sure that I need to understand more at this time.

Does having the R5C's dual menus meet the needs of dedicated video requirements vs the hybrid user's needs?
Does any hybrid camera currently meet your needs?
Yes, I find different menu systems in R5c to be very helpful. But going by your mentioned needs, R5 is more than adequate.

Upvote 0

David - Sydney

Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 7, 2014
www.flickr.com

@Del Paso was clearly being facetious :)
Their intent was that there is no major cure to move to Sony or find a perfect camera from any manufacturer.
If you have the money to "play" as you say then buy another system and report back what the advantages are have objectively and any things that you didn't like.

That would be more interesting and useful than using hyperbole like:
"mask all those blown out highlights and crushed blacks from my R5 footage!" and
"any of the other brands with enough DR to not look like old iPhone footage."

Upvote 0
Aug 9, 2016
By "hyped by the media" I was implying that the *clients* may believe (often wrongly) that high MP is necessary, when it may not necessarily be the case. IMO, the *photographer* should determine the client's end-usage, and advise whether it truly is necessary.
you clearly haven’t done any work for clients as this is something they have never asked me nor anyone I know in the industry has been asked. Clients don’t care about MP, they care about the final product. This is such a mute point

Upvote 0