Canon to release major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5

Sep 19, 2020
Let's say you have a sensor that can do 14.6 stops.

Let's say Clog2 can utilize up to 16 stops.

Let's say Clog3 can only utilize 11.5 stops.

Do you not see how Clog3 could also utilize all 14.6 stops the sensor can do, while Clog 3 can not and will pull the DR down to 11.5 stops?
Your hypothetical works but in reality CLOG 3 is capable of all 14.6 stops,
CLOG is capable of 12+ stops.

Upvote 0
The Sony is definitely better with that rolling shutter effect if you want that retro 1920s everything vertical is tilted look.

View attachment 207852

But hey, it's all tilted in 14 glorious stops of DR before you put it into PhotoShop and make it look like a 6 stop 1920s sepia monochrome print with rips, tears, and coffee stains all over it.
Thanks! I could probably run some of that same coffee onto the monitor to mask all those blown out highlights and crushed blacks from my R5 footage! I mean, that data ain’t gonna recover itself.

Or I could just wait for someone to click ‘buy it now’ on the Canon and jump ship to any of the other brands with enough DR to not look like old iPhone footage.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Well, there is also 10-bit HEIF.
On the other hand, I would not mind a 12-bit or 14-bit non-RAW image format.
HEIF files can only be shot on the R5 (and presumably other Canons) in mechanical shutter mode, which is quite limiting for some applications. You also have to set HDR PQ, and it's advisable to set Highlight Tone Priority too. If you want to shoot with EFCS or ES, you have to shoot RAW or JPEG first, and then convert to HEIF before transmitting, which takes time. So would seem to be a no no for sports photographers and PJs who need to transmit files rapidly.

I think most of them shoot on JPEG, but depending on how the image may be eventually used, it makes sense to shoot RAW and JPEG simultaneously to separate cards, using the JPEGs for urgent transmissions, and the having the RAWs available later if the image would benefit from further processing.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
Thanks! I could probably run some of that same coffee onto the monitor to mask all those blown out highlights and crushed blacks from my R5 footage! I mean, that data ain’t gonna recover itself.

Or I could just wait for someone to click ‘buy it now’ on the Canon and jump ship to any of the other brands with enough DR to not look like old iPhone footage.
Which brand are you changing to? The flagship Sony A1, the Nikon Z9?

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 15.54.21.png

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Which brand are you changing to? The flagship Sony A1, the Nikon Z9?

View attachment 207856
That chart goes to prove what I've said many times, i.e. apart from slight differences in colour, it's impossible to distinguish between images taken on Sony, Nikon or Canon cameras of the same generation and MP. Sensible people base their choice of brand on other factors - lens choice, AF performance, ergonomics etc.

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 16, 2012
11 years is a long time ago.
I do not think it is safe to assume that Canon still does everything the same.
Not that I know either way.
If they changed the loop feedback to a better one that they then used for subsequent EF lenses, do you think they would revert back? The AF reproducibility of the R5 and the R3 is just about the best out there - see: https://www.optyczne.pl/457.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R5_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html https://www.optyczne.pl/474.3-Test_aparatu-Canon_EOS_R3_Użytkowanie_i_ergonomia.html Nearly all the Canon shots are spot on in the red line at the left of the histograms with few going to the right where there is increasing degree of out of focus. They found the R5 was best in the field.

Screenshot 2023-03-08 at 16.37.29.pngScreenshot 2023-03-08 at 16.39.00.png

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010

Great idea. Bye!

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Sure, get yourself a shiny new Sony, and inherit a whole set of different problems!
... and get a new monitor too, as it won't look pretty anymore after throwing your coffee at it!

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
Canon Rumors Premium
Aug 9, 2018

How could you ever buy such a crappy Canon R5?
Buy a:love: Sony :love:, happiness, bliss, fortune and eternal love garanteed!
Believe me, I know what I'm talking about.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

usern4cr

R5
Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 2, 2018
Kentucky, USA
Sad to hear about later dates for a R5_II, but it's great to get a "substantial" (hopefully) R5 firmware update soon.

Many things have been mentioned as possible in that update. I hope that they include a front/back (or full 3D) AF limit as well as a motion trigger so that you can have a "photo trap" to video things that infrequently appear in a fixed area (eg. near a food feeder). I'd like to see "aperture bracketing" added. Current filename ending #s auto-wrap to 0 every 10,000 shots (AFAIK still) and I find that really annoying and hope it could be expanded to more than 4 ending digits.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Sad to hear about later dates for a R5_II, but it's great to get a "substantial" (hopefully) R5 firmware update soon.

Many things have been mentioned as possible in that update. I hope that they include a front/back (or full 3D) AF limit as well as a motion trigger so that you can have a "photo trap" to video things that infrequently appear in a fixed area (eg. near a food feeder). I'd like to see "aperture bracketing" added. Current filename ending #s auto-wrap to 0 every 10,000 shots (AFAIK still) and I find that really annoying and hope it could be expanded to more than 4 ending digits.
Agree with all of that. Aperture-bracketing and shutter-bracketing would both be very useful.

It would also be incredibly useful to be able to set near and far points and constrain the camera to only focus within that zone. That would eliminate the possibility of the focus jumping unintentionally onto the background with BIF shots, and would also act as a focus limiter for stacking macro shots.

Samsung had something using a similar principle to your "photo trap" on the NX1 - a camera that was way ahead of its time. It's such a shame that Samsung deserted the camera market and abandoned their customers, as they could have provided a major challenge to Canon, Nikon, Sony etc, and pushed the envelope on development.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0