Is Pixel-Shift coming to the Canon EOS R5?

We reported earlier this week that Canon would release a major firmware update for the Canon EOS R5 this year, likely sometime in Q2. While firmware feature leaks are rare, we’re receiving a lot of chatter about what is coming. One feature that may be coming to the Canon EOS R5 for stills shooters is

See full article...
In the new update 1.8, there any news that we can set the shutter sped to less than 20 fps when using electronic shutter?

Upvote 0
When the word ‘cripple’ is used it indicates more about the poster’s knowledge than any serious criticism.

The fact that canon has made so many firmware updates with new features (particularly video but also af etc) are just bonuses to our initial purchase negates your comment.
Good point.

One of the side benefits of things being so heavily dependent on firmware, is that a product can be released with a basic set of features and enhanced over time. This reduces the initial development time, allowing the initial product release date to be sooner. It probably allows the product market lifetime to be longer as well. It also means that issues can often be resolved in the field without having to resort to an expensive recall. If we had to wait for whatever nifty feature Canon are planning to stick in the next R5 FW release, we would all still be waiting for the R5.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Good point.

One of the side benefits of things being so heavily dependent on firmware, is that a product can be released with a basic set of features and enhanced over time. This reduces the initial development time, allowing the initial product release date to be sooner. It probably allows the product market lifetime to be longer as well. It also means that issues can often be resolved in the field without having to resort to an expensive recall. If we had to wait for whatever nifty feature Canon are planning to stick in the next R5 FW release, we would all still be waiting for the R5.
Entirely agree, the only negative I can see is that by releasing products arguably too early, there will inevitably be a few bugs that need to be ironed out. A very good reason IMO not to be an early adopter. Let others be the beta testers.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
David,
The addition of cLog on the 5D4 was software, not hardware.

And, [Respectfully[ Canon like other manufacturers does "cripple" [call it what you like] or omit features that could be included on body's in order to "protect" sales of higher end models. This doesn't have to do with someone's knowledge. Firmware updates that add functionality does not negate what was initially [purposely] omitted. It does enhance the user experience and value, but only after the fact.
If you ordered the 5Div (pre clog) and wanted to pay for clog, then you needed to send the camera back to Canon for the upgrade to be installed. My understanding is that a heatsink was added ie hardware. If it was just software then a firmware upgrade would have provided the functionality.
Of course, if it was just software then the firmware upgrade could have just been copied/shared for free.

"Cripple" is a trigger word for Canon users and been used in a very derogatory way by other system users where it was not deserved. Very bigotted! :)
Clearly market segmentation has meant that different features are available at different pricepoints. Yes, Canon has added new features to lower level camera bodies that could have been added in firmware upgrades to higher level bodies. We should be aware that firmware feature upgrades (not just fixing "phenomenon" ) have been a thing only relatively recently eg R6/R5 release. I believe that Canon now does this to keep bodies relevant in the market for longer rather than new bodies every 2 years.

Ideally, Canon should release firmware upgrades for a new feature across their whole range of bodies (assuming processor/thermal etc can handle it). In reality, Canon would prefer if we upgraded to a new body or bought a second body.

Phone firmware and phone appss are the only other example I can think of that gives away new features for free and virtually independent of hardware after the initial purchase.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The addition of cLog on the 5D4 was software, not hardware.
It's a little more complicated than that.

If it was purely a firmware update, why would it be necessary to send the camera to a service centre to get it done?

It suggests to me that it wasn't physically possible to perform the update via a SD card or USB port, and that Canon may have needed to access the internals to make some physical adjustment or even to change a component.

Only Canon know the full story...

Edit - David's post overlapped with mine, and indicates that the upgrade was both firmware *and* hardware, in the form of a heatsink.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
To date I've not found or read an article stating that cLog on the 5D4 required a heatsink. It was a software profile that canon added through firmware. If such an article does exist, I'm happy to be incorrect or wrong. A more plausible scenario. Canon had you send the camera in in order to keep the software from being distributed in the wild or reversed engineered. ... But true only Canon knows the full story.

I hope someday that all camera manufacturers will employ some security measures to help detour theft. I suppose it could be used to install software too. Pretty far fetched, but there are several ways they could go about protecting their IP.

I'm not trying to be difficult or go against people here. Most here are serious about Canon and the industry. Canon is a great company and has great products. Feature enhancements via FW does shorten the release cycle, and I also agree can add life to an aging product. I'm certainly grateful for the updates. We've all purchased stuff before only to be abandoned. Anyway, I appreciate the conversation, information exchange, and hearing others opinions. Also for the knowledge and experiences we are all here to impart and share with one another.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
To date I've not found or read an article stating that cLog on the 5D4 required a heatsink. It was a software profile that canon added through firmware. If such an article does exist, I'm happy to be incorrect or wrong. A more plausible scenario. Canon had you send the camera in in order to keep the software from being distributed in the wild or reversed engineered. ... But true only Canon knows the full story.

I hope someday that all camera manufacturers will employ some security measures to help detour theft. I suppose it could be used to install software too. Pretty far fetched, but there are several ways they could go about protecting their IP.

I'm not trying to be difficult or go against people here. Most here are serious about Canon and the industry. Canon is a great company and has great products. Feature enhancements via FW does shorten the release cycle, and I also agree can add life to an aging product. I'm certainly grateful for the updates. We've all purchased stuff before only to be abandoned. Anyway, I appreciate the conversation, information exchange, and hearing others opinions. Also for the knowledge and experiences we are all here to impart and share with one another.
The first result from goggling "Canon 5div clog heatsink" brings the DPR article
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9160679900/canon-will-add-c-log-to-the-eos-5d-mark-iv-for-99
with "The update, which we were told includes an unspecified hardware change, will be available at Canon's service centers in the US starting July".
A heatsink is my thought as the generating clog would need processing power and would be something simple and cheap (USD99 including labour for a new feature) vs changing a motherboard for instance.

Who knows definitively but that insider's comment is probably all we will ever know.

Upvote 0

AlanF

Desperately seeking birds
CR Pro
Aug 16, 2012
If you ordered the 5Div (pre clog) and wanted to pay for clog, then you needed to send the camera back to Canon for the upgrade to be installed. My understanding is that a heatsink was added ie hardware. If it was just software then a firmware upgrade would have provided the functionality.
Of course, if it was just software then the firmware upgrade could have just been copied/shared for free.

"Cripple" is a trigger word for Canon users and been used in a very derogatory way by other system users where it was not deserved. Very bigotted! :)
Clearly market segmentation has meant that different features are available at different pricepoints. Yes, Canon has added new features to lower level camera bodies that could have been added in firmware upgrades to higher level bodies. We should be aware that firmware feature upgrades (not just fixing "phenomenon" ) have been a thing only relatively recently eg R6/R5 release. I believe that Canon now does this to keep bodies relevant in the market for longer rather than new bodies every 2 years.

Ideally, Canon should release firmware upgrades for a new feature across their whole range of bodies (assuming processor/thermal etc can handle it). In reality, Canon would prefer if we upgraded to a new body or bought a second body.

Phone firmware and phone appss are the only other example I can think of that gives away new features for free and virtually independent of hardware after the initial purchase.
Canon had a major firmware upgrade for the 7D in 2012, three years after the camera had been released. See for example: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/0868043083/canon-eos-7d-firmware-v2-major-update The 7DII wasn't released until over two years later.

Upvote 0

shadowsports

R5 C - RF Trinity
CR Pro
Jan 15, 2023
Bay Area, CA
The first result from goggling "Canon 5div clog heatsink" brings the DPR article
https://www.dpreview.com/news/9160679900/canon-will-add-c-log-to-the-eos-5d-mark-iv-for-99
with "The update, which we were told includes an unspecified hardware change, will be available at Canon's service centers in the US starting July".
A heatsink is my thought as the generating clog would need processing power and would be something simple and cheap (USD99 including labour for a new feature) vs changing a motherboard for instance.

Who knows definitively but that insider's comment is probably all we will ever know.
Thanks for this reference. I'm still inclined to believe the article's update.

Update: Canon has clarified its original statement. It now says that no hardware change is made but that, 'due to the software architecture in the camera we need to connect and use our service tool to upgrade.' The company also says that non-C-Log versions of the 5D IV will continue to be sold.

But back on topic. Hopefully R5 owners will get the pixel shift option should they want to use it.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK

Update: Canon has clarified its original statement. It now says that no hardware change is made but that, 'due to the software architecture in the camera we need to connect and use our service tool to upgrade.' The company also says that non-C-Log versions of the 5D IV will continue to be sold.

But back on topic. Hopefully R5 owners will get the pixel shift option should they want to use it.
Ah, so my original guess was pretty close - "It suggests to me that it wasn't physically possible to perform the update via a SD card or USB port, and that Canon may have needed to access the internals to make some physical adjustment or even to change a component"

Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
Ah, so my original guess was pretty close - "It suggests to me that it wasn't physically possible to perform the update via a SD card or USB port, and that Canon may have needed to access the internals to make some physical adjustment or even to change a component"
I wonder if it's something like a One Time Programming part needed a second programming. Most OTP parts can be reprogrammed, but exposing that option to users is generally a bad idea. Especially since OTP parts tend to be power supplies!
The parts we use at work allow 8 programmings, which means that we shouldn't release more than 7 updates during the projected lifespan of the product. Luckily we're at 0 updates :)

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
While I agree that it sounds like there was a technical reason for it to be sent in, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there wasn’t really one, at least not one that couldn’t be worked around.

Having decided to charge for the upgrade, the business case for not letting a standalone upgrade file out into the wild is compelling.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
While I agree that it sounds like there was a technical reason for it to be sent in, it wouldn’t surprise me at all if there wasn’t really one, at least not one that couldn’t be worked around.

Having decided to charge for the upgrade, the business case for not letting a standalone upgrade file out into the wild is compelling.
I have to disagree - that sounds like conspiracy theory. It was decided that it was necessary, or strongly advisable, for the upgrade to be carried out by Canon technicians, because it either wasn't possible for users to do it, or because it might have resulted in bricking the camera. I just can't see Canon going to such lengths to call in the cameras for an upgrade, if that method wasn't absolutely necessary. And because it was an upgrade, as opposed to a recall, Canon were justified in charging a fee. As it happens, I didn't bother upgrading my 5DMkiv, as I never shoot video.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
I have to disagree - that sounds like conspiracy theory. It was decided that it was necessary, or strongly advisable, for the upgrade to be carried out by Canon technicians, because it either wasn't possible for users to do it, or because it might have resulted in bricking the camera. I just can't see Canon going to such lengths to call in the cameras for an upgrade, if that method wasn't absolutely necessary. And because it was an upgrade, as opposed to a recall, Canon were justified in charging a fee. As it happens, I didn't bother upgrading my 5DMkiv, as I never shoot video.
My point was that it’s plausible, not that that is what happened. As I think we can all agree, we will never know the truth.

Something else to consider… 1-series cameras have long had the ability to record a short voice memo associated with an image. My R3 can do that, as can the R5. But if you wanted that feature on your 5DIV, Canon charged $99 for that as well.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe. But it could also be that Canon was experimenting with a model of paid firmware upgrades.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
My point was that it’s plausible, not that that is what happened. As I think we can all agree, we will never know the truth.

Something else to consider… 1-series cameras have long had the ability to record a short voice memo associated with an image. My R3 can do that, as can the R5. But if you wanted that feature on your 5DIV, Canon charged $99 for that as well.

Conspiracy theory? Maybe. But it could also be that Canon was experimenting with a model of paid firmware upgrades.
This post will stir up a hornet's nest.

If Canon offered *significant* upgrades that made my cameras more capable and useful to me personally, I'd consider paying for them. It would be a lot cheaper than buying a new camera, which is really only necessary if existing hardware can't support features we might want/need.

For example, if Canon offered a downloadable, user-installed firmware upgrade that provided my R5 with variable fps and exposure bracketing in ES, reduced EVF lag at startup, stickier AF tracking, better subject recognition of wild animals, and a few other goodies, I'd be willing to pay $50 for it. Of course, I'd rather it was free!

It's even feasible that in a few years time, we might buy our cameras and lenses on lease - with a choice to keep them for a small fee at end of term, or to upgrade to a new model. In theory I wouldn't have a problem with that, except that my cameras get subjected to a lot of wear and tear, and are pretty worthless for resale after 4 or 5 years.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

From my knowledge of electronic components, the only thing I can think of is a EEPROM (electrical erasable programmable read only memory) or FPGA (field programmable gate array) that needed reprogramming.
Everything else should be able to be done in firmware updates.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EEPROM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Field-programmable_gate_array

Upvote 0
The Canon Log and Voice Tag upgrades are mutually exclusive, meaning your camera cannot operate with both upgrades at the same time. If you have previously purchased a Canon Log upgrade and then chose to purchase a Voice Tag upgrade you will lose Canon Log functionality (and vice versa).
https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/services/upgrades/eos-5d-iv-voice-tag-upgrade/

• Wow
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0