Are 400mp stills coming to the Canon EOS R5?

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
The addition of 400MP pixel-shift might appeal to perhaps one buyer in every million?

Infinitely more important, IMO, to update the camera as follows:

User selectable variable fps with ES.
User selectable number of shots limit with fast fps.
Exposure bracketing with ES.
Reduced EVF lag from standby.
Pre-buffer.
Stickier AF tracking with less tendency to hop onto backgrounds.
Better and faster subject recognition of wild animals.
Eye-AF that works from a greater distance and isn't confused by other objects.
Better sensor performance (reduced noise) with RAW in low light/high ISO.
Better stabilisation algorithms to improve alignment with hand-held HDR and focus-stacking.
Star-tracking for the astro boys.
Lens-breathing correction.

All of the above should be doable with a firmware update, and any one of them would be more useful to most folk than 400MP, IMO.

• Haha
Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
he addition of 400MP pixel-shift might appeal to perhaps one buyer in every million?
Do you really believe there aren't many commercial photographers (and even some artist one) that wouldn't like this kind of hi-res images? Among those probably using Hasselblad today? Not everybody does wildlife or sports. For example Canon does make T/S lenses - and their users are far form being obsessed by fps or AF. and most of the time the camera will be on a tripod. It would be interesting to know if the user will be able to select among different final resolutions or not.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I guess the feature of added resolution is nice, but I hope there will also be an option that is keeping the original 45MP but with better color accuracy and noise performance.

And what I would be really happy to see is (finally) the addition of C-Log 2, at least in the R5 C, but it would be a welcomed addition on the R5 too (or all cameras if we are at it).
Wouldn’t downsampling a 400mp in post essentially do that though? Agree that in camera would be nice though

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The addition of 400MP pixel-shift might appeal to perhaps one buyer in every million?
I think you’re way off base. The addition of 400 MP pixel-shift will appeal to broad swath of buyers. Granted, most of them don’t need it and likely won’t even use it after trying it out once or twice. But it will have strong appeal.

• Haha
Reactions: 11 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
landscape.. architecture.. maybe stills macro? could see it used for various thing. I can see it being useful for various things... and here I thought 45MP was a lot

The SPEED it can capture will matter. 20 FPS electronic might be fast enough to capture things that aren't moving too fast, but it will likely take a fair bit of processing between shots.

I imagine bodies with more processing power will improve this, kind of like Camera phones... I seem to recall a bunch of phones that could get some pretty high resolution from tiny sensors, likely because of processing power.

Certainly not what I expected and yep excited to try it if true. Stoked I invested in an R5. I was happy with the feature set when I bought it and pleased to see it still getting love with new features.

Now if they'd only poach some of the google/samsung phone engineers who do the software for the cameras...

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0

davidhfe

CR Pro
Sep 9, 2015
I think you’re way off base. The addition of 400 MP pixel-shift will appeal to broad swath of buyers. Granted, most of them don’t need it and likely won’t even use it after trying it out once or twice. But it will have strong appeal.
Yeah, I don’t get the hate here. Pixel shift is kinda niche but it’s still a headline feature that can be implemented with the current hardware. Even with a very “v1” implementation (no AI/ML magic) there are plenty of times you’re on a tripod with a static subject.

Canon lens reviewers will love it that’s for sure. Get those focus targets setup!

(Unrelated: ”IBIS HIGH Resolution” seems like a weird name for Canon to use for this feature. Wonder if that’s a placeholder name or something)

Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
scratching my head on a couple of posts about autofocus improvements.. the autofocus on the R5 is miles ahead of my previous SLRs.

Tests by many reviewers have it on par top tier Sony and Nikon..

maybe there is something else at play like the settings you use or the lens you use or the conditions you use it in? Maybe try higher shutter speed? I was initially frustrated with some of the behaviours on my Sigma 150-600 on the R5 .. but you have to remember the more you zoom and the more you move the more things get blurry esp when you pixel peep a high megapixel camera.. you need to up your shutter speed quite a bit. Autofocus is also slower on 3rd party EF lenses adapted (though still work for me). High megapixel cameras are less forgiving when you make errors, hence all the tools to improve your odds (IBIS, IS, AI autofocus etc)

my real world experience has not had any issues with autofocus with fast moving animals, people, jets, cars etc.

<edit> adding what is normally a very difficult thing to keep in a focus.. zoomed in (highly cropped) bird in flight in dense branches.. yet check out the eyes, in focus.
8U4A7159.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Upvote 0

snappy604

CR Pro
Jan 25, 2017
Yeah, I don’t get the hate here. Pixel shift is kinda niche but it’s still a headline feature that can be implemented with the current hardware. Even with a very “v1” implementation (no AI/ML magic) there are plenty of times you’re on a tripod with a static subject.

Canon lens reviewers will love it that’s for sure. Get those focus targets setup!

(Unrelated: ”IBIS HIGH Resolution” seems like a weird name for Canon to use for this feature. Wonder if that’s a placeholder name or something)
possibly copyright/patent related. They may have had to achieve similar results with different methods due to patents.. never know

Upvote 0

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
Go shoot an object like lightning where you don't know if it will be a mile away or 10 miles away and tell me the extra MP isn't needed ;) Being able to crop in is extremely useful.
And you can do a nine shots in a row of lightning to add them up for a 400 MP pic?
If the R5 is that "fast as lightning", it's good for you if that feature comes to the R5.

TBH that wouldn't be my approach to take photos of lightning but if that works for you ...

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
And you can do a nine shots in a row of lightning to add them up for a 400 MP pic?
If the R5 is that "fast as lightning", it's good for you if that feature comes to the R5.

TBH that wouldn't be my approach to take photos of lightning but if that works for you ...
It's just one example of why some people want more MP. I specifically tweeted this morning that it likely wouldn't work for lightning but it would be nice if it did. I have no idea how fast it will shoot the 9 frames. If they can do it within something like half a second, it absolutely would work. Bolts often hang around longer than you would think.

Upvote 0

entoman

wildlife photography
May 8, 2015
UK
Do you really believe there aren't many commercial photographers (and even some artist one) that wouldn't like this kind of hi-res images? Among those probably using Hasselblad today? Not everybody does wildlife or sports. For example Canon does make T/S lenses - and their users are far form being obsessed by fps or AF. and most of the time the camera will be on a tripod. It would be interesting to know if the user will be able to select among different final resolutions or not.
Firstly, consider the ratio of amateurs : professionals who buy the R5. It's widely accepted that the vast majority of purchasers of high-end gear are amateur enthusiasts. Neither of us know the exact figure, but my guess is that pros make up less than 2% of R5 buyers.

Secondly, consider what percentage of those commercial photographers actually have a need or even a desire to produce images with such high resolution,, and don't forget that this will be restricted to tripod-mounted photography.

Now also consider the vast amount of computer power and storage required by both the photographer, and by the printers.

While I may have exaggerated a bit, I don't think my "one in a million" is far from the truth.

As for user-selectable final resolutions, I think it will be a simple choice between 45MP and 200MP, and nothing inbetween. I also think there's a strong possibility that the output will only be JPEG/HEIF, as the R5 probably doesn't have enough processing power to output 200MP RAWs, and would need a huge buffer ( or a VERY long busy" time).

• Haha
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
What would this feature be used for? Is it for printing large billboards of static subjects? I wonder how many Mega Bytes the RAW files will be. Since Canon are adding new features the R5 II must be quite some time away yet.
I think from the standpoint of creating works of art that truly need that size the use case can be pretty narrow, but cameras are used for more than just creating works of art or capturing action. There may be some scientific uses or documentation uses. For instance, I’d assume some of the more well-positioned uses would be reproduction of art such as capturing paintings with extreme detail for archival purposes, recording high detail images of biological specimens like new insect species discovery, maybe even crime scene capturing of images that may be needed for evidence at a later date? I’d guess that there may well be more industrial applications as well. But yes, as someone who does want more than 45mp, 400 is far more than I’d need or want.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Firstly, consider the ratio of amateurs : professionals who buy the R5. It's widely accepted that the vast majority of purchasers of high-end gear are amateur enthusiasts. Neither of us know the exact figure, but my guess is that pros make up less than 2% of R5 buyers.
What fraction of those driving big pickup trucks with powerful engines actually need them for work or tow a trailer or boat? Likely a minority, but having all that engine power appeals to some buyers.

400 MEGAPIXELS!!!!!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0