Rumored Canon EOS R1 EVF specifications [CR1]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
There hasn’t been a lot of solid information about the Canon EOS R1, which is expected to hit the streets in 2024. We now see a report with information that did hit our inbox about the EOS R1’s rumored EVF specifications. If they’re true, they’re pretty impressive. We still hear from some professional EOS-1D X

See full article...

Now rumoured spec lists come in slices :ROFLMAO:
Next will be details about the top display ;)
Or maybe the next rumor will describe the form and the flexibility of the joystick as well as the material it is made of :ROFLMAO:

All joking aside, Canon has done a tremendous job of shutting down rumors and not letting people know what they're up to. Makes it hard for rumor mills and people like us to really anticipate their next products.

Upvote 0
We still hear from some professional EOS-1D X III shooters that they are still waiting for the right EVF to move over to a mirrorless camera as their daily driver. We think the EVF in the EOS R3 is terrific, but we don't represent everyone.
I think the R3 EVF is good, but not terrific. Why? - because there's a delay from you put the VF to your eye until it lights up. And those fractions of a second of a pitch-black VF makes it harder to "drill into" the subject that you want to photograph. For me, it makes shooting motorcycle racing needlessly harder than it should be.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Rumours not rumors

R6mkII, 2x90D, 630 (film), Sigma 70-200 f2.8 Sport
CR Pro
May 12, 2020
Australia mate (-:
The rumoured EVF of 7.x million dots is not that spectacular when you consider the Sony ILCE-1 / Alpha1 already has a 9 mega dots (9,437,184) EVF. One would think Canon would want to outspec the best offerings from their competition wherever possible for their new flagship body.

Upvote 0
I think the R3 EVF is good, but not terrific. Why? - because there's a delay from you put the VF to your eye until it lights up. And those fractions of a second of a pitch-black VF makes it harder to "drill into" the subject that you want to photograph. For me, it makes shooting motorcycle racing needlessly harder than it should be.

Nonsense.. how did you do it before? In my experience your face is already up to the camera so this is a moot point. Has one never shot motorcycle photography before the R3 came on the scene? Not trying to nitpick but there will never be a perfect camera and I feel if one can’t hit the type of shots we’ve done for years with any of the tech we have today, then the issue isn’t the camera, it’s the shooter.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0
The rumoured EVF of 7.x million dots is not that spectacular when you consider the Sony ILCE-1 / Alpha1 already has a 9 mega dots (9,437,184) EVF. One would think Canon would want to outspec the best offerings from their competition wherever possible for their new flagship body.
The A1 only shows the 9 million dots during playback of photos. When shooting it goes down and goes down further with continuous AF and other things. Jared Polin had a video comparing the A1 and R3 and the A1’s EVF looked noticeably worse than the R3’s despite having more dots listed on the spec sheet. If Canon’s is 7 million dots at all times then it would be the best EVF when shooting photos.

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 7, 2018
And no brightness or contrast at all in the dark :ROFLMAO:
I was very sceptical with EVFs. But in the dark they‘re superior to OVFs. Or do you think of OVFs as low light amplifiers?
In the dark I can see with an OVF what I could also see with my own eyes and my eyes adapt to the dark quite well. The exposure preview actually is a downside of EVFs for me. It means that the image in the viewfinder constantly changes brightness when I pan around. I prefer to let my own eyes adjust the brightness of my view. I think the OVF simulation of cameras like the R3 is made for people like me.

I wish Canon would bring out a 1D X Mark IV with a stacked BSI sensor.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
EVFs are a solution in search of a problem. OVFs already had infinite resolution and no delay and no noise even in the dark.
Ever tried shooting in the dark with an OVF? For example, when you need something like ISO 51200 at f/2.8 or wider. Sure there’s no noise…but there’s also insufficient signal. Hard to compose a shot when what you see in the OVF is:

IMG_8885.jpeg

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0