Opinion: The USB-C DSLR problem isn’t as bad as you think

even if you don\'t know the law, just common sense would inform you that laws cannot be applied retroactively unless deemed a safety hazard. And even then it would have to be a severe hazard. Like a car from 10 years ago will not pass emissions regulations today. That car has to be able to pass the regulations from when that car was manufactured. The EU cannot say that you can no longer use your iPhone with Lightning or your Canon camera because they don\'t have USB Type C ports. when they were created, maybe USB-C was not available at the time. That would be like changing the rules of citizenship. If you were made a citizenship 20 years ago but now the rules have changed on how to obtain citizenship, they cannot revoke your citizenship. You earned it by following the rules at the time you obtained it.

Craig and I talked about this and the related other publications that were saying DSLR's were doomed in europe, and I immediately went .. they can't be that stupid not to grandfather it.

However .. and this is to you, and several other posters... there ARE several articles on other websites stating that DSLR's would certainly be in trouble come end of the year due to this directive. I didn't invent this out of thin air.

Thus... my article. As it states.. "Circling around the internet is the idea that all DSLR sales will cease in Europe come December 28th, 2023"

So thus, I thought it be good to have a counter argument out there in the wild before others run with it.

I call it an opinion because hey common sense, governments, and legislation sometimes don't meet in the middle and I don't want CR to get into any trouble in case something IS indeed wrong with my suppositions.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021
Both my R and R5 can be charged through USB-C already. Just put the cable in the USB-C port on the camera and it will start to charge. I think this applies to most if not all of Canons new cameras. It works with LP-E6N and LP-E6NH

It all should be good right, or did I miss something? :)View attachment 212734
The problem could be with Canon's older models that have a micro USB port. I don't know if anyone knows how many total unsold there are, but it's potentially a sizeable loss for Canon and other manufacturers if there's no grandfather clause. Canon DØØMED?

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
The problem could be with Canon's older models that have a micro USB port. I don't know if anyone knows how many total unsold there are, but it's potentially a sizeable loss for Canon and other manufacturers if there's no grandfather clause. Canon DØØMED?
Can any of those models actually be charged via that port? If not, it’s moot.

Upvote 0

I see. I have a hard time seeing the carriers here in Sweden stop selling iPhone 13 or 14 models as long as they still have them in stock. Let's see what happens when the date passes.

Can any of those models actually be charged via that port? If not, it’s moot.

No they definitely can not. I think it's only the USB-C models.

Upvote 0

Doug7131

EOS R6 Mark II
Jul 21, 2019
How is USB-C a mess? it is the most complete USB interface ever released, and shares an interface with thunderbolt.
The problem with the USB-C connector is that it is capable of handling multiple different protocols and charging. However there is no requirement for ports to provide anything over then basic usb 2 connectivity. This means that a consumer had no way of knowing what a usb-c port on a device is actually able to do.
This leads to massive confusion because people see a USB-C port an expect it to do things it may not do.

The same problem applies to cables. Alot of usb c cables don't even support USB 3 speeds let alone thunderbolt or 100w charging. Just by looking at a cable you have no idea if it supports high speed charging, usb 3, thunderbolt, display port etc because there is no obvious way of telling. The only way to find out is to plug it in a see what it does.

Usb-C is a great connector. But the way the USB forum has implemented is so catastrophically stupid, misleading and confusing it's beyond a joke.

Upvote 0
Jul 17, 2023
The problem with the USB-C connector is that it is capable of handling multiple different protocols and charging. However there is no requirement for ports to provide anything over then basic usb 2 connectivity. This means that a consumer had no way of knowing what a usb-c port on a device is actually able to do.
This leads to massive confusion because people see a USB-C port an expect it to do things it may not do.

The same problem applies to cables. Alot of usb c cables don't even support USB 3 speeds let alone thunderbolt or 100w charging. Just by looking at a cable you have no idea if it supports high speed charging, usb 3, thunderbolt, display port etc because there is no obvious way of telling. The only way to find out is to plug it in a see what it does.

Usb-C is a great connector. But the way the USB forum has implemented is so catastrophically stupid, misleading and confusing it's beyond a joke.
All true! In general, the universal form-factor trumps all that for me, but disallows me from ever considering generic cables. I do agree that it is annoying to find out the hard way that a particular cable is only good for charging, or may provide an unknown data rate. I've been surprised to connect a hard drive to find out that a cable is only providing 480mb/sec. To be fair, that cable came with a power brick. Now I label any random cable in my kit as fast or slow.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

1N 3 1V 1Ds I II III R R5
Dec 9, 2018
Wouldn't they allow for already manufactured products to keep the older designs? I think this because with other laws, there will at least sometimes be a "grandfather " clause to make exceptions for this type of thing. For example, there was a bar and school near each other and then a law was made about not selling alcohol near schools, but because they were already there the law couldn't affect this particular situation.
The fact your even asking tells me Richard did a bad job of informing his readership. The title should have been "All Devices Already On the Market are EXEMPT from New EU Requirement" and it should have led with the part of the directive that explicitly says so. Instead he only mentioned this like half-way through the article, where you and probably many or most others missed it.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
You make good points but arguably we just need a clear set of symbols. As a 56 year old with a bad cataract (who until recently had TWO bad cataracts!) I also hate the ENTIRE ELECTRONICS INDUSTRY for making symbols so small and hard to read. My desktop system's front ports are labelled in 3 point dark matte silver on a charcoal background. From 50cm/18" away I can't even tell for sure they're labels not dust specs. And this despite the equivalent of 8 60W bulbs in the ceiling just 120cm/4ft behind me. My monitors have rows of 9 identical black buttons on them that have labels embossed on them I've never been able to read. Same with consumer hi-fi, where not only the front panels but even the back panels are labeled in this nearly impossible-to-see text... Funny, no matter the maker at least their BRAND can be read from across the room!

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
The fact your even asking tells me Richard did a bad job of informing his readership. The title should have been "All Devices Already On the Market are EXEMPT from New EU Requirement" and it should have led with the part of the directive that explicitly says so. Instead he only mentioned this like half-way through the article, where you and probably many or most others missed it.
Agreed! It was quite confusing and gauchely written.
What's also missing is the reason why: too many charging devices (whatever you buy comes with a new one). Masses of useless cables and charging devices which are sadly not even recycled, but just thrown away. Each phone is sold with a new charger... It's about time to end this mess.
Whether USB-C was the best option, I can't say. But standardization is a good choice.

Upvote 0

Del Paso

M3 Singlestroke
CR Pro
Aug 9, 2018
I see. I have a hard time seeing the carriers here in Sweden stop selling iPhone 13 or 14 models as long as they still have them in stock. Let's see what happens when the date passes.

No they definitely can not. I think it's only the USB-C models.
One Plus smartphones are officially banned from European markets (patent infringement). You can still buy them from Amazon...and elsewhere.

Upvote 0

SwissFrank

Dec 9, 2018
@Richard CR did the group a disservice by posting an alarmist article that half-way through, as an aside, says that existing approvals are grandfathered. I'm sure he meant well but by trying to structure the article as a tease, he's actually spreading worry on this topic instead of setting it to rest.

Upvote 0

LDS

Sep 14, 2012
I chose to put this as an opinion because I’m not a lawyer, and while my background is in engineering, we are talking about a rather convoluted subject matter. That really can only be answered accurately by lawyers familiar with the legislation. We won’t know for sure until after December 28th, but in my opinion,

See full article...

Here the issue is if external battery chargers are covered or not. The 2021 impact assessment (https://op.europa.eu/en/publication...d71a1/language-en/format-PDF/source-274907121) states (page 108, footnote 133):

"The proprietary external charger to charge removable batteries is not considered an EPS. This type of charger is significantly different to mobile phone EPS and therefore it is not possible to use the same assumptions in our estimations and the stock model. The unbundling of this type of chargers could be explored by the Commission, and it will be assessed qualitatively in the final report of this IA study."

I didn't follow what happened later. For in-device charging as far as I can see all new cameras use USB-C connectors and IMHO they cannot require proprietary chargers. JCBE noted it: https://www.jbce.org/images/positio...mity/JBCE-comments-on-the-revision-of-RED.pdf

I find now that the same note is present in the final report (https://data.consilium.europa.eu/doc/document/ST-12183-2021-ADD-2/en/pdf, page 100, footnote 166):

""The proprietary external charger to charge removable batteries is not considered an EPS. This type of charger is significantly different to mobile phone EPS and therefore it is not possible to use the same assumptions in our estimations and the stock model."

Unbundling the charger is anyway possibile - although as many user don't replace cameras as quickly as phones (I'm not talking about many forum members, of course...) it doesn't create as much e-waste. Having external battery charger require a separate EPS and a USB cable would look like a bizarre requirement to me, and would impact a lot of chargers - including for example AA/AAA ones.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Dragon

EF 800L f/5.6, RF 800 f/11
May 29, 2019
Oregon
No-go zones for cars in certain areas is not an example of retroactive legislation - just say'in. (I taught rule making at Law School)
How do you account for California forcing truckers to replace engines in their trucks 2 or 3 times just to keep up with incremental changes in emissions rules? Also, they forced retirement of perfectly good earthmoving equipment and put many contractors out of business in the process. Bargain prices on used dozers here in Oregon thanks to CA rules. As I said before, when the Govt turns authoritarian, they can do whatever they darn well please (at least until the next revolution).

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2021

The easy solution is not to for expectations without checking what the manufacturer claims.

Upvote 0