Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

yankiefrankie

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 10, 2020
Canon has spent lots of time developing DPP, I'm sure they think it's excellent and they choose provide it for free. I bet they even have professional software developers who write the code for DPP.

I agree with you about the UI, it's kludgy and I avoid DPP unless forced to use it (e.g., a new camera not yet supported by DxO PL). But like converting DP-RAW, for some features you're stuck with DPP.
I wasn't critiquing DPP as a whole. I agree that they spend a lot of time and resources developing this free tool. I am only complaining about the implementation of the pre-buffer extraction. The pre-buffer capture is saved as a proprietry CR3 "roll" that cannot be read by anything but DPP. The user must open a tool in DPP that only allows extracting 1 image at a time from roll (this is where DPP problems occur and many times the software crashes). If you try to extract more than one image it saves the extraction as a new roll (which must itself be extracted one image at a time or new smaller roll). What is that??? That's a garbage implementation. No one wants that!

Canon needs to allow mutiple file extraction to usable raw files in DPP or provide a separate tool that extracts everthing like a ZIP file. They are the ones advertising this pre-shooting "feature". If this is going to sell units as people want this advertised feature, the least Canon can do is make it usable.

My 2 cents anyway...

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Sep 11, 2014
Or a longer lens. How did we ever manage to take pictures of birds with an 18 MP FF sensor like the one in the 1D X? Personally, I'm fine using 18-24 MP, if the R1 has 30 MP I'll take it, but I would not call it a 'need'.

Not sure the point of the comment you were replying to....This would be the highest MP ever for a 1 Series....If this isn't enough then how was any previous 1-Series....

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
So, looks like a great step in sensor speed while improving DR. That is excellent news to me. It is indeed better than the incremental step we are used to. I can imagine a lot of 1D and R3 users will be interested.

At 30MP though, I will go for the R5 II instead, better for my use.

But I certainly hope a lot of those improvements make their way down to a stacked sensor that solves most reading speed issues.

A R5 with half the speed but half more pixels is a deal I will happily take.

Can anyone explain about the dual gain sensor ? I understand it is on some of the cinema cameras, and improve DR, but is there consensus on measured improvements vs usual sensor, especially for noise ? Any review vs a regular camera?

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
"(<0.8 microsecond read time)"

Is this perhaps meant to be milliseconds? 0.8 milliseconds would still be industry leading. Microseconds is 1000 times faster.

Borrowed from a AlanF post:

View attachment 214275

And doing some math, but the R3 was reported as having 1/180th sec readout time, which is 5.5 milliseconds. The R5 was reported as ~1/60th readout time, which is 16.6 milliseconds, slightly different than above, but the same ballpark.
Thank you for this insightful post and graph, it really helps bring things into perspective.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
The one series has never been high megapixel. It is more a sports camera. This is the highest megapixel count ever on 1-series. EOS 1D X Mark III has just 20 megapixels.

The GOOD: I'm very glad the RUMOR is that global shutter isn't part of the package. Image quality matters more than anything and, if Sony is any indication, global shutter isn't ready to provide that.

The BAD: This seems like a pretty small step up from the R3. It's about what I would expect an R3ii to be. Perhaps this is verification that the R3 was really the R1, then was renamed at the last minute. Great camera . . but for birds, we need more than 24MP . . . or even 30MP.
Canon wants bird photographers buying R7s and Sigma 150-600 zooms. No wonder so many have moved to the A1 and Z9. Canon still won't have a camera that matches the Z9. Cripple hammer strikes again.

• Haha
Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Not sure the point of the comment you were replying to....This would be the highest MP ever for a 1 Series....If this isn't enough then how was any previous 1-Series....
The point was @FaolainWolf's claim that bird photographers 'need' more than 24 or 30 MP is asinine. Maybe he needs more. As I frequently say, everyone is entitled to share their opinion, they're just not entitled to speak for 'us'.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Fbimages

EOS R5 EOS R3 GFX 100
Mar 4, 2020
www.instagram.com
Canon wants bird photographers buying R7s and Sigma 150-600 zooms. No wonder so many have moved to the A1 and Z9. Canon still won't have a camera that matches the Z9. Cripple hammer strikes again.
If you need a Z9 or A1 to take a good bird picture, chances are the camera isn't the problem!

Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
Technically - no.
In the rolling shutter case, pixels register a scene in different times. If anything moves with a speed comparable with the readout speed the artifacts will be visible.
So, "fast enough" is only relative and thus not compatible with the absolute:
Few have ever complained about mechanical shutters with curtains, even though they are also just rolling shutters. Now that we will (maybe) have a rolling shutter four times (and more) faster than the usual mechanical rolling shutter with curtains, we have the complainers again.

Upvote 0

neuroanatomist

Canon Rumors Premium
Jul 21, 2010
Few have ever complained about mechanical shutters with curtains, even though they are also just rolling shutters. Now that we will (maybe) have a rolling shutter four times (and more) faster than the usual mechanical rolling shutter with curtains, we have the complainers again.
Haters gonna hate. I would welcome a sync speed of faster than 1/1000 s.

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

docsmith

Canon Rumors Premium
Sep 17, 2010
For me, the big potential winner is better Autofocus. The AF on my R5 is already amazing, but I hear people talk about the R6II being better, the R3 better, especially in low light. I am interested in what the R1 will bring to the table and with the first two bullets dedicated to AF, I am hoping there is something there.

The sensor readout speed of 0.8 milliseconds (what I think Craig meant) is outstanding and actually correlates to the 1/1250 = 0.0008 sec or 0.8 millisec syn speed (also great).

The prebuffer of 1 sec. If implemented well, this will be another incredibly welcome feature. The implementation in the M6II is clunky.

Then it sounds like fps will be up to 120 fps continues, 240 burst. I so do not want that. But give me control over selecting my fps up to about 30 fps and that would be very welcome.

Better DR is always welcome, but usually more of a marketing statement. If more than 1/3 of a stop, I will be curious if it is manipulation. I am not sure how much more can be done to get more out of the sensor, but this could be Canon adjusting the image after capture somehow. We'll see.

Upvote 0
Aug 22, 2019
After three 1D X series cameras at no higher than 20 MP, I’d think you’d be used to disappointment by now. I’d suggest anyone expecting Canon to make a radical departure from their prior strategy with a given series is setting themselves up for disappointment.
It seems to me that those who least need the tool - for which they have such expectations - have the highest expectations.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
Sep 20, 2020
It's about impossible to rename a camera "at the last minute".
It would imply reprinting and rewriting all that is about to be published (or has already been published). It happened once at my company, for reasons of name-patent infringement. This was hell on earth! Legions of employees were kept busy for weeks...And tremendously expensive too.
No, the R3 was to become an R3, not matter what the Internet wants to believe...
Canon makes all the necessary equipment for publishing.
I have no doubt that they can delay publishing to a few months.
My theory is that when they have a "development announcement" all that they have left is the publishing materials.
I can't see them developing much more in that short time frame.

• Haha
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
Canon Rumors Premium
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
Or a longer lens. How did we ever manage to take pictures of birds with an 18 MP FF sensor like the one in the 1D X? Personally, I'm fine using 18-24 MP, if the R1 has 30 MP I'll take it, but I would not call it a 'need'.
Or even worse, how did take amazing bird pictures with only 16 MP Nikon D4S? Oh I know!! I either got closer to the subject or purchase a longer lens. Learning how to approach wildlife is a very good thing to learn.

Reactions: 5 users
Upvote 0