Canon EOS R1 Specifications [CR2]

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
I am looking at the R1 specs not so much with a view to buy, but to get a sense of the kind of technologies that would trickle down to the lower range EOS R cameras. I think I will be very happy with the 30MP full-frame stacked dual-core focus sensor in the R6 Mark X in 2-4 years' time :).
I'm reading it and getting excited about the coming R52.

That's likely the one I'm waiting for....I'm just disappointed that latest announcements on that pushes its release date for at least a year I last heard??

cayenne

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0
Mar 2, 2012
Image quality matters more than anything and, if Sony is any indication, global shutter isn't ready to provide that.
Image quality can't be measured, only observed. *IF* a global shutter somehow (such as faster/more frequent AF adjustments, lack of banding, lack of jello, or simply better-stopped action) provides more chances to make a high quality image, then it's ready.

Yeah, recycled 1975 global shutter tech is 2 stops of dynamic range loss. Canon shooters dont want to lose dynamic range for a couple of added perks that would be obtained with a 2.5ms readout anyhow.
What are you talking about? There were no CMOS global shutter sensors in 1975, nor did the CCD sensors in 1975 have two stops more dynamic range than modern CMOS global shutter sensors from companies like Sony or OnSemi. Calling it "recycled tech" is asinine. Might as well call anything that uses a transistor recycled 1947 technology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
Its interesting that this is the spec theyre putting on the camera. Its kinda nudging into the R3 segment and not creating its own. Frankly tho, the specs are fantastic if they turn out to be true.

I wonder if the R3\'s role in the lineup will be changed going forwards.
More and more...I'm thinking the R3 originally WAS the R1....and Canon thought it wasn't up to flagship compared to competition, so they relabeled it R3...and waited for this iteration of the R1 line.

Just my $0.02,

cayenne

Upvote 0
Yeah this is kind of a letdown if true, nothing about this seems that groundbreaking especially given the release of the a9 III. Obviously going to reserve judgment until the camera is actually released but a 6MP resolution bump over the R3, which is borderline a perfect camera IMO aside from resolution, is meaningless. This is basically an R3 Mark II if anything, if these are the actual specs then I can’t see the R3 line continuing.

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Bird/Wildlife Photography
Jul 2, 2021
After three 1D X series cameras at no higher than 20 MP, I’d think you’d be used to disappointment by now. I’d suggest anyone expecting Canon to make a radical departure from their prior strategy with a given series is setting themselves up for disappointment.
The industry is changing a little more rapidly than it has when you had these small incremental advances. The fact remains that Canon will not have a comparable camera to compete with the A1 and Z9. And this is what they produce two years behind their competition. The "master of everything"? Hardly. Very disappointing. Canon cripple hammer strikes again!
Agreed. If the rumors are true, the R1 will have 50% more pixels that the 1Dx MkIII, which is a very significant increase in four years time.
Yet still behind the competition who put out better offerings over two years ago...

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Canon wants bird photographers buying R7s and Sigma 150-600 zooms. No wonder so many have moved to the A1 and Z9. Canon still won't have a camera that matches the Z9. Cripple hammer strikes again.
The 7 or so people who switched did not seem to affect Canon's bottom line. Joking of course, but for as much as folks talk here, the broader Canon user base is not switching systems every iteration/product cycle based on what the competition is doing.
Yeah this is kind of a letdown if true, nothing about this seems that groundbreaking especially given the release of the a9 III. Obviously going to reserve judgment until the camera is actually released but a 6MP resolution bump over the R3, which is borderline a perfect camera IMO aside from resolution, is meaningless. This is basically an R3 Mark II if anything, if these are the actual specs then I can’t see the R3 line continuing.
I suspect that the feedback from the sports/fast action crowd was that 50mp was too much. I beleive Nikon went 45mp because they felt they really needed to do something statement wise. They have little of the market, and weren't in a place with their mirrorless mount to go after agency contracts. So they did something that the smaller and only slightly more mobile enthusiast market would really latch on to. All just my own speculation of course. One thing Canon is really good at is knowing what the pros - who account for the vast majority of their revenue - want. So if this is 30mp, its not because Canon couldn't do more, its because they know this is what the intended market wants. There were plenty of reports on the R3 from back in the day by pro users that corroborate this. The forums, which love MP above almost all else, could not accept it.

There was not an R5 before.
Also, if Sony can do 50 MP then why can't Canon?
See my comment above. And for the record, Canon has had a 50mp sensor for quite a while. See 5DS/R. They have the ability. They know the market.

Brian

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Well this is interesting! When the R3 came out, I personally wished it had somewhere in the ballpark of 30mp. Still, the R3’s 24mp is a great sweet spot for those of us that spend all day shooting a sporting event and taking thousands of images. I spent a year letting the R5 replace my 1DXII and it crushed storage space and processing times for the workflow of processing an image from card pull-organizing-editing-exporting-delivering.

Also, being entirely honest, the R3 has been everything and more that I could have wanted. So if I ask myself “what would I improve?” This camera looks to address everything…hopefully the micro-HDMI is abolished from this earth. It’s like a 1up on the R3 and right in line with what I would expect with a 1-series.

The 16-bit DGO-RAW has me VERY intrigued. VERY... If I'm correct in my interpretation, this would mean the camera is simultaneously stacking the images from the dual gain sensor in camera, which creates a monstrous increase in dynamic range...in the cinema cameras that Canon offers with this technology, dynamic range can exceed 16-stops. On the downside, it decreases readout speeds and I believe some cameras have ghosting issues...so we'll see how this camera would potentially correct for that.

I have to wonder if this model will receive an improved IBIS high-resolution mode that could be handheld and not turn the camera into a brick while it works on creating the file. Hmm...I am very interested in these specs the more I keep looking at them.

I will admit this is not what I was expecting for individual, pie in the sky reasons. If these turn out to be the specs then I may end up keeping the R5 until the R5II is released and eventually replace my R3 bodies with R1 bodies. Resolution is something of beauty for my commercial and publishing work. 30mp is a great place, but now that I’ve tasted 45mp, I want at least that much or more if I want to replace the R5. Which is funny considering the days when I was pumped for 21mp, 30mp and even 15mp!

Side Note: If this camera has a 1/1,250 sec flash sync time then it would be the quickest readout speed of any previous rolling shutter camera. The sensor would be a marvel of engineering if Sony hadn't dropped the stacked sensor A9III...which I'm honestly applauding, but not impressed with after seeing how rotten it performs at ISO 12,800.

Sorry for the novel, but I'm sure we're all pretty excited to see this camera hit shelves in get into our hands.

Reactions: 7 users
Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Hmm....good thing is even if I wanted one, I couldn't likely get one any time soon. Gives me time to think 1 series has been a dream of mine. Instead of a Corvette for my midlife crisis, this is what I want...lol.

But maybe, maybe not. The 1 series spec sheets have always been good, but its really been the total package that has made them sing in a way that may not be evident on paper. Be interesting to see what the first reviews says about the AF. Maybe it'll drive the R3 price down and I'll get one of those instead.

I think Fro and some of the other 'influencers' have had some time with the R1, but are under embargo. There were some hints dropped in various videos towards the end of last year. Hopefully the gates open up in a few weeks ahead of the big show.

Brian

Upvote 0
This will be the solid 30MP replacement for my EOS R which is somewhat lazy when it comes to speed aspects ....

;-)

(Still going to hold the R5)
I kept my original R... even though it's not fast, It has better image quality than the R6 and is a good compliment to the R5 for weddings.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Jul 2, 2021
The 7 or so people who switched did not seem to affect Canon's bottom line. Joking of course, but for as much as folks talk here, the broader Canon user base is not switching systems every iteration/product cycle based on what the competition is doing.

I suspect that the feedback from the sports/fast action crowd was that 50mp was too much. I beleive Nikon went 45mp because they felt they really needed to do something statement wise. They have little of the market, and weren't in a place with their mirrorless mount to go after agency contracts. So they did something that the smaller and only slightly more mobile enthusiast market would really latch on to. All just my own speculation of course. One thing Canon is really good at is knowing what the pros - who account for the vast majority of their revenue - want. So if this is 30mp, its not because Canon couldn't do more, its because they know this is what the intended market wants. There were plenty of reports on the R3 from back in the day by pro users that corroborate this. The forums, which love MP above almost all else, could not accept it.

See my comment above. And for the record, Canon has had a 50mp sensor for quite a while. See 5DS/R. They have the ability. They know the market.

Brian
The sensor in the 5DSr had very poor dynamic range, low light performance and readout speed. It was a nice studio camera but the fact that they never expanded on it said all you need to know.
If you need a Z9 or A1 to take a good bird picture, chances are the camera isn't the problem!
Obviously you didn't get the point. If you think that the R7 with a Sigma zoom is good enough, then stick with it. Don't ever buy a better performing camera because "you can take good pictures with an R7". Why even care to comment about better performance when you seem to think it's irrelevant??

Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

koenkooi

CR Pro
Feb 25, 2015
The Netherlands
[…]

Canon needs to allow mutiple file extraction to usable raw files in DPP or provide a separate tool that extracts everthing like a ZIP file. They are the ones advertising this pre-shooting "feature". If this is going to sell units as people want this advertised feature, the least Canon can do is make it usable.

My 2 cents anyway...
Or Adobe/DxO start supporting the ‘roll’, but that’s dependent on them, not Canon.
I’m also a bit surprised that there are no open source tools yet for this, projects like Darktable would very much appreciate that.

Upvote 0

USMarineCorpsVet

Jul 2, 2021
I'm reading it and getting excited about the coming R52.

That's likely the one I'm waiting for....I'm just disappointed that latest announcements on that pushes its release date for at least a year I last heard??

cayenne
Why would you be so optimistic hearing how Canon underwhelmed with the R1? There's no reason to believe that the R5 MK2 will be anything more than an incremental upgrade. Canon cripple hammer in full effect once again...

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0