Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

AJ

Sep 11, 2010
Canada
I think the 28 mm will be a RF 28/1.4 L, a pro lens.
On the consumer side, there already is a RF 24/1.8 IS (4 mm wider) and a RF 28/2.8 (1 1/3 stop slower than f/1.8). It would seem silly to add another consumer wideangle with a 28/1.8
I think the big surprise here is that we're talking 28 mm, and not a replacement for the EF 24/1.4 L mk2.

Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0
One thing I am curious about is why the Number 1 and top selling Canon Camera and Lenses have all been on constant sales over the past 2 years.
If the demand was truly there, would the rules of supply and demand dictate sales are necessary to sell your product?

Yup, 2 Years after its launch and with massive price drops (cough cough Canon Frenzy Sales) and the A7iv was in the number 10th spot....
I mean, even if there's significant demand, that doesn't necessarily mean it outstripped Canon's anticipated demand pattern over time - the sales could be just trying to get closer to moving the "right" number of units based on their anticipated timeline.

I would assume that behind the scenes Canon has sufficient history and knowledge to know how many of what bodies they should be moving and approximately when, though obviously all of that is going to be impacted by marked conditions which are less predictable. For instance, if in year 3 of a 4 year release cycle Canon's a bit longer on inventory for a body than they expected to be due to one reason or another (i.e. inflationary pressures impacting discretionary spending in some markets), it may be in their interest to start offering some sales to get back on track because in year 4 of the 4 year cycle sales may traditionally be less by volume than what they can get in years 1-3. In that hypothetical instance, Canon could be a lot longer on product than they want to be if they don't incentivize some sales sooner, or may need to discount more than they want to in year 4 to get back on track.

Again, Canon's strategy is a bit of a black box and all of this is based on no external data, but I would have to assume Canon has a bit of an idea of what to expect when they release a body, and can likely tell if they're going to be short or long on product long before anyone else. Sales are just a much quicker way to get back on track or react to changes in the market.

Reactions: 1 user
Upvote 0
That would be a better question than "are there any f/1.4 primes coming?"
You're right. My thought was to phrase it like this:
"is there a third line-up of primes with F1.4 coming?", but I kind of didn't like the sentence. Therefore, I rephrased it and lost the intended meaning :eek:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

LSXPhotog

Automotive, Commercial, & Motorsports
CR Pro
Apr 2, 2015
Tampa, FL
www.diossiphotography.com
Rumors are just that - not to be considered “set in stone” or even reliably accurate. CR can only do the best it can based on its sources. Sadly, this latest rumor means we’re waiting longer. Not THAT big of a deal, but in a way I may actually be happier. My individual plans all depend on which camera can do what for me. So knowing a bit more details about the R5II before I place my order for the R1 may actually be beneficial overall. More information is always better. I’m not shooting the Olympics, so I don’t have some firm deadline, and my R3 and R5 bodies are doing everything extremely well for me right now.

Perhaps the suggested R1 specification rumors are also inaccurate for all we know? Haha

Upvote 0
Do you mean for being able to focus in low light or actually using it at f/1.2 for your receptions ? Better make sure everyone is in the same vertical plane !
I use my 50mm wide open at 1.2 all the time at receptions, I don't have any issues with getting people in focus. The 35mm 1.2 would be even more forgiving than the 50.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
Upvote 0