Canon’s 2024 Roadmap, and the timeline surprised us [CR3]

Canon Rumors Guy

Canon EOS 40D
CR Pro
Jul 20, 2010
Canada
www.canonrumors.com
Things have been eerily quite in the land of Canon leading into the CP+ tradeshow later this month, and after my latest conversation with an accurate source, I think we know why. This source doesn’t comment ahead of time on all new product releases, but when they do, they have been 100% correct. The source

See full article...

Reactions: 1 user
I'm betting the 28mm will be along the lines of the non-L so that the full line is complete... they already have a 24mm 1.8 and 35mm 1.8, the 28mm 1.8 was missing (as existed with the EF mount). That 35mm 1.2 will be a very interesting lens to me. Could be fantastic for low light receptions.

Reactions: 3 users
Upvote 0

Desiree Vie

CR Pro
Jul 14, 2014
My guess is this article, here and/or possibly elsewhere, will mean that a-hole youtuber O.F. will post 5-7 videos in 24 hours, claiming the same which came from HIS sources. I am glad new equipment is coming, it shows Canon is progressing, creating, innovating, but if I sold one of my kidneys now, I am buying glass with it, not another new camera.

Reactions: 6 users
Upvote 0
I've suspected that the R5II would come soon. Last November 2023, Japan had a large price drop in the retail of the R5. The price has stayed pretty stable for the entire production of the R5. So it was a good indicator that something newer is coming.

I'm really looking forwards to seeing how Canon have progressed their mk II over the previous R5. I wouldn't be suprised to see the same MP caount as the current R5 too. I suspect this is awarm upgrade...not a big upgrade.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0

john1970

EOS R3
CR Pro
Dec 27, 2015
Northeastern US
A development announcement for the R1 in April, followed by a later announcement, will be cutting it very fine for the Paris Olympics from 26 July to 11 August 2024.
Agreed. I do not see how Canon gets the R1 into photographers' hands for the Paris Olympics in July unless they do a very fast formal announcement in May and ship in early June.

Upvote 0
I´d guess Canon will keep the 28mm at F1.8 and the RF35mm at F1.2. Those two lenses would complete the two prime lines they have (except for a fast UWA). A F1.4 would probably raise a lot of questions such as "are there other F1.4 primes finally coming?". With F1.2 and F1.8 Canon can fill out their line-up and decide later if they want a third set of primes. Furthermore, would this F1.4 line have L-designated glass like the EF 85mm F1.4 L or would it be more consumer oriented like the EF 50mm F1.4. I guess it would be a L line-up.

Upvote 0
A development announcement for the R1 in April, followed by a later announcement, will be cutting it very fine for the Paris Olympics from 26 July to 11 August 2024.
Or maybe Canon decided to handle it like Nikon did with the Z9. Have a development announcement in April/ May and maybe one at the end of June/ beginning of July and then tell everybody that the pro photographers at the olympics will show-case the R1. After the games they can fix every last bug and release it in September.

Upvote 0

bbasiaga

Canon Shooter
Nov 15, 2011
USA
Agreed. I do not see how Canon gets the R1 into photographers' hands for the Paris Olympics in July unless they do a very fast formal announcement in May and ship in early June.
Pros and agencies will have them for the olympics for sure. Consumers maybe not. R3 was similar.

My heart goes out to all the forum dwellers who are now 'forced' to switch brands because Canon didn't meet a timeline they tied themselves to in their head, and somehow in doing so made non-functional all current gear.

Brian

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Upvote 0
Canon HAVE to get a move on with the R5 MkII. From Yodobashi Japan's latest sales figures, the R5 MkI sales have really dried up, and the only model Canon now have in the top 10 sales list is the R6 MkII (and that's not even in the top 5). They're just handing business over to Sony and Nikon if they don't have an updated body for folks to buy.

Top 10 camera sales:

1. Sony α7C II body
  2. Sony A9III
  3. Sony α7 IV with kit lens
  4. Sony α7C II with kit lens
  5. Sony α7 IV body
  6. Canon EOS R6 Mark II Body
  7. Nikon Z 8
  8. Hasselblad 907X & CFV 100C
  9. Sony α7R V body
  10. Nikon ZFc with kit lens

Upvote 0
Good news for me the R5 II is coming sooner than later.

I have skipped on the R5 since what I am shooting did not happen during the pandemic (2020-21-22). It restated last year but there were rumors of an R5 II and my current camera is still great, I waited. So I am still on the much capable 5D4, but AF on the eyes at thin DOF, tiltable screen, and higher framerate will definitely improve some critical shots, so mirorless is worth it and I am pretty excited with the change.

Lens wise only the 85 1.2 is exciting in the new mount (please announce a 200 f2.0 or 1.8 replacement with the R1, or I'll take a 100-200 2.0 S 1.4x either !).

I don't want to get crazy about specs, so here is what would make me happy in a mkII :
- Wish: stacked BSI sensor (for even faster AF and clean 20fps electronic shutter), pre-capture with a large buffer (CF express 4 compatible please), and improved ways to quickly select subjects when multiple people are in frame. Those three improvement will have a noticeable quality impact on my images.
- Welcome : imrpoved and larger viewfinder, 30-40 fps, CF express 4 compatible, quad pixel (if the quality impact is there), more MPs
- Do not want : global shutter, MP drop

If the mk II hits the wish points it would be great. I will still by the mkII in any case (unless the R1 is like 60MP vs 45 for the mk II, then I would be happy to go back to the 1 series), but I need high def).

Reactions: 4 users
Upvote 0