Post your Panoramics!

Marsu42 said:
neuroanatomist said:
Don Haines said:
Sometimes your panorama exceeds the width of your widest lens.
I find that's ususlly the case for me. I generally shoot panos in portrait orientation, with a focal length that captures the vertical height I need. The Boston panos above were at 70mm, with 11 shots stitched.

Prey, is there any guideline on how large the frame overlap should be for this portrait-type stitching?

Ttoo much overlap tends to confuse the pano software unless you manually de-ghost, but too little overlap can result in the software failing to merge the pano at all. I'm usually using 1/3rd overlap in portrait mode, even more when movement is involved (i.e. more potential de-ghosting data).

But that's just me randomly trying and I'd like to get some expert input/article outside picking random google search results. My guess is that it should depend on the focal length/distortion of the lens, too.

Well, 30-40%, I am not sure if that always works, for example if I am shooting someone with blown out sky's, the sky's may not stitch, and I am not sure that it's the overlap percentage because this happens always with sky and rarely with ground, but I am using 200mm which makes it harder I guess to nail large panos

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
Prey, is there any guideline on how large the frame overlap should be for this portrait-type stitching?

Ttoo much overlap tends to confuse the pano software unless you manually de-ghost, but too little overlap can result in the software failing to merge the pano at all. I'm usually using 1/3rd overlap in portrait mode, even more when movement is involved (i.e. more potential de-ghosting data).

But that's just me randomly trying and I'd like to get some expert input/article outside picking random google search results. My guess is that it should depend on the focal length/distortion of the lens, too.

I also generally use ~1/3 overlap and it's worked well, but I'm far from an expert on this.

Upvote 0

msm

Jun 8, 2013
Larsskv said:
I have been following CR for quite some time, and this is my first post. I would like to share a panorama with all of you. Taken in Jotunheimen, Norway on 1st of May this winter. Panorama with stitched pictures from the 7DII and 135L.

Nice view of familiar mountains, like how Sagi looks from that angle. Taken from Storebjørn?

Upvote 0

Don Haines

Beware of cats with laser eyes!
Jun 4, 2012
Canada
neuroanatomist said:
Marsu42 said:

I also generally use ~1/3 overlap and it's worked well, but I'm far from an expert on this.
Somewhere in the documentation for "Autopano Giga" it recommended 25% overlap.......

Upvote 0
meywd said:
Well, 30-40%
neuroanatomist said:
I also generally use ~1/3 overlap
Don Haines said:
it recommended 25% overlap.......

There's your problem - I'm undecided between 1/4, 1/3 or even more - these do make a significant difference in exposures requried for a larger pano esp. when it has multiple rows.

For completely static tripod with a sharp lens 1/4 should be fine, but for all possible situations a static number is bound to sub-optimal ... it depends on several factors what's "best" and I couldn't find a systematic analysis yet.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
Marsu42 said:
meywd said:
Well, 30-40%
neuroanatomist said:
I also generally use ~1/3 overlap
Don Haines said:
it recommended 25% overlap.......

There's your problem - I'm undecided between 1/4, 1/3 or even more - these do make a significant difference in exposures requried for a larger pano esp. when it has multiple rows.

For completely static tripod with a sharp lens 1/4 should be fine, but for all possible situations a static number is bound to sub-optimal ... it depends on several factors what's "best" and I couldn't find a systematic analysis yet.

I doubt you'll find a systematic analysis because it's going to depend on the stitching software and even more on the scene itself.

Upvote 0
Jun 12, 2015
msm said:
Larsskv said:
I have been following CR for quite some time, and this is my first post. I would like to share a panorama with all of you. Taken in Jotunheimen, Norway on 1st of May this winter. Panorama with stitched pictures from the 7DII and 135L.

Nice view of familiar mountains, like how Sagi looks from that angle. Taken from Storebjørn?

That is spot on! Taken from a little below the top of Storebjørn. I have a nice panorama of Fannaråken, taken from the same spot. i might share it later.

To those of you who have commented on my image, thank you for your kind words!

Upvote 0
Jul 30, 2010
I am the "shoot an run" type. Therefore I do not have the luxury to use tripod or pano head. I always hand hold the camera. I have been using somewhere between 25 and 35 percent overlap. It works well for me. My real problem on pano shots are ghosting, when there are people and water in the over lapping area (due to constant changing of position). I am very picky on the result of pano. I always look at them at pixel level in stitched area to make sure that they are good. I only shot pano when my lens is not wide enough or I want a near 180 or 360 degree of the scenery. Once in a blue moon, I may do a pano for high resolution, just for the fun of it ( the Istanbul shot). I have been using Photoshop for pano. It work very well for me. Also for me 35mm( equivalent focal length) is the most suitable lens for me. It is relatively wide with low distortion for stitching.

Upvote 0

Valvebounce

CR Pro
Apr 3, 2013
Isle of Wight
Hi Tinky.
Lovely series of images, I dof my hat to anyone that stands around in midge territory, not that moving helps that much! We (my parents and I) used to visit Cumbria, the Alston moors about the end of September, early October, my overwhelming memories are of midges so damn thick over the streams that you could darn near walk across on them! ;D

Cheers, Graham.

Tinky said:
1. A 360 taken at Glen Trool in Scotland. Lovely place. Horrible midges. I wanted better. But I wanted at least half my face not bitten away.

Upvote 0
I did a shoot following a 36 hour race around 10 years ago, extreme marathon runners trying to complete the 96 miles of the West Highland Way non-stop on the longest day of the year.

We left Milngavie at 1am, and arrived at Balmaha with the pack at dawn, around 4.30am, I got out the car and thought we had disturbed a heist as everybody was wearing tights over their faces.

After about 3 seconds I realised why.
Straight back in the car, of course with about 300 of the swines sucking my face off. They were in the vents for weeks after.

But, true professional that I am, I got the shots I required.

Upvote 0