Search results

1. J

Hardware Hack for EOS Cameras Coming Soon? [CR1]

I'm intrigued by this for video reasons. The ML raw hack is great for getting good image quality, but it is not really all practical for most uses for me. The main limitation for me in making it practical is hardware, in that I can only record 10 minutes on a 64 GB CF card. Add hardware that...
  2. J

Canon 7D Major Issue

I had this happen with a week old 5D3. It was a bent pin in the CF slot. Try taking out the CF card, then take the battery out. Put the battery back in with no CF card. If the camera seems to function, then it is probably a bad CF pin. Also could be a bad CF card. Bad SD cards create this...
  3. J

5D3 for video-Need advice for shooting a pub crawl,evening, lrg. organized event

A couple of ideas: 1. Rent/Borrow/Beg help. 2. Rent portable lights. It sounds like one of your key (pun intended) concerns is not having any help. If I lived closed to you, I'd be glad to help, just because I enjoy shooting and working on projects like this. You might find others in your area...
  4. J

Blackmagic 2.5K Cinema Camera less than $2K. Would EF model compliment 5D3 well?

Cayenne - also, you might get more responses if this thread is in the Video forum. I was just lurking in this forum because of the new Sigma 18-35mm/1.8 lens (did I mention that the lens preference might be different for the BMCC?).
  5. J

Blackmagic 2.5K Cinema Camera less than $2K. Would EF model compliment 5D3 well?

Cayenne, I have the BMCC and I sometimes use my wife's 5D3 for video (less now that I have the BMCC). Here are some thoughts on your questions and my experiences with the BMCC as someone who loved shooting video on my (and my wife's) Canon DSLRs. First, I would say that the BMCC would not make...
  6. J

Canon EOS 7D RAW Video?

Very nice development. With the CF card, continuous 1080/24p raw might be possible. I'd prefer this to the 5D3, since I actually prefer the APS-C sensor size for video. Excuse me while I order a 7D...
  7. J

LensRentals.com Announces LensAuthority.com

I've found their prices to be fair. Yes, you can probably find a lower price. But, as others have said, the assurance that you are getting something as good as or better than advertised is worth quite a bit. I've bought used gear from LR before (and rented) and they've always delivered at or...
  8. J

Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?

I'm glad to find out that it is owned by Roger. I suspected as much. I agree that it makes sense to separate the two. I'll start looking there for my used purchases.
  9. J

Strange blue in place of black

Hmmm. What kind of lights? This now makes me wonder about your shutter speed. If it is set to 1/60 or higher, try 1/50 or even 1/40. Edit: Never mind. This doesn't really flicker that much. But, I still wonder about the lights. This is odd...
  10. J

Used Canon Gear no longer for sale at LensRentals.com?

It appears that Lensrentals.com is transitioning their used gear for sale to Lensauthority.com. I asked Lensrentals.com about this and received an e-mail saying that they were transferring their used gear slowly to lensauthority.com. This disappoints me, as I have bought a few used items from...
  11. J

Strange blue in place of black

Aliasing was my first guess on this, but I've rarely seen it show up as blue only - there has always been some red show up, too. But, it most likely is aliasing. Since you said that you use Sony Vegas, here's another trick that you can try along the lines of what Paul has suggested: Add a...
  12. J

High noise at low ISO

A trick that MIGHT help with the noise, especially if it is color noise, if you haven't tried it already: In Resolve, add chroma blur. To do this, you must create a layer node by first creating a new serial node (from Node 1 in the attached image, adding Serial Node 2). Then add a layer node...
  13. J

BMD 4K, EOS C100 or 5D3

Paul, I'll throw two wrinkles in the mix: 1. BMCC (Cinema Camera, not 4K) Many of my comments about the BMCC apply to the 4K. 2. Sony FS100 or FS700 I have the BMCC and just used it to shoot a friend's wedding. It wasn't terrible to use for an event such as that. I do wish I had had a bit...
  14. J

High noise at low ISO

Cayene - when you say, "blown out", do you mean that the whites are clipped? Specifically, have you lost detail in the highlights? In Resolve's scopes, this would show up as a straight horizontal line at the top of the Waveform monitor or straight vertical lines at the right of the histogram...
  15. J

Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3

Very nice! The picture quality is amazing. Resolution, dynamic range,... everything!
  16. J

ML RAW Video Tone Curve Photoshop/ACR Workflow FIX

Thank you for sharing the tip. In AE, I set the project to HDTV (Rec. 709) in Color Management within Project Properties. When I rendered this to a Quicktime DNxHD file, the result was indistinguishable from what I had with no color management selected. Am I missing something, or does the color...
  17. J

Anyone have any recommendations for super fast SD cards for my 600D/T3i? I can't seem to get more than 20 MB/s writes with a Sandisk Extreme or Lexar 600x 32GB. Obviously, those rates don't get me very much raw out of the 600D/T3i.
  18. J

Axilrod - Thanks. I agree - it was clear that the raw was a significant step up compared to the Canon firmware compressed output. The dynamic range is a beautiful thing. Once you shoot raw, you won't want to go back. Having said that, I'm very happy with the Film Log compressed footage out of...
  19. J

Which picture style for video on the 5D3?

Yes, the freedom of raw. It truly is a beautiful thing! You can be very agressive with pushing the color, exposure, sharpness, and you'll get everything there is to get out of each frame. Raw video is just a sequence of stills (just like in film!).
  20. J

Which picture style for video on the 5D3?

It doesn't matter. Raw is raw, just like with stills. Picture style doesn't have any impact on the resulting raw file. Same goes for white balance.