Magic Lantern... CONTINUOUS raw recording @ 24fps on 5D3

Status
Not open for further replies.
dirtcastle said:
That's what I'm seeing too, that the 32GB and 64GB are the fastest. Personally, I will be avoiding KomputerBay until the dust settles. I bought a KomputerBay 128GB and it clocked around 72MB/s. I don't see any risk in ordering a KomputerBay 64GB, but be ready to return it. I've got a Transcend 128GB on order (from weeks ago, before I knew they were unreliable), but I'll be ready to ship it back same day I get it.

The other known solid candidates are Toshiba, Hoodman, Lexar, and Transcend. I've got a Lexar 32GB and a Hoodman 64GB and they are both solid.

I have three 1000x 32GB Lexar that run fine. And a Hoodman 64GB that was supposed to arrive today but got held up.

The Toshiba don't seem to have arrived for direct sale in the U.S. yet, supposedly they are the fastest of all and perhaps might be able to do 1920x1080p30 (the Lexar max out at 1920x1080p24).

Upvote 0
I finally pried the 5D Mark III out of my wife's hands long enough to play around with raw video.

I threw together a quick resolution chart comparison. There is a link on this Video's description to a similar test shot with my Blackmagic Cinema Camera, for anyone interested.

5D Mark III Resolution: Canon Firmware vs. Magic Lantern Raw on Vimeo

Upvote 0
May 12, 2011
JasonATL said:
I finally pried the 5D Mark III out of my wife's hands long enough to play around with raw video.

I threw together a quick resolution chart comparison. There is a link on this Video's description to a similar test shot with my Blackmagic Cinema Camera, for anyone interested.

5D Mark III Resolution: Canon Firmware vs. Magic Lantern Raw on Vimeo

Nice Jason, I didn't even need to shoot charts to be able to tell the difference is night and day, but the most exciting moment was when I pulled down the highlights to reveal a perfectly blue sky, man raw is awesome. But man I saw the resolution tests on the BMCC and it looks like that thing has pretty bad moire! But some of the color coming out of that thing is astoundingly beautiful, not sure if you've seen "Meet Me At Big Sur" but I was super impressed with it. Can't wait for the Production Cam in July!

Upvote 0
Axilrod said:
Nice Jason, I didn't even need to shoot charts to be able to tell the difference is night and day, but the most exciting moment was when I pulled down the highlights to reveal a perfectly blue sky, man raw is awesome. But man I saw the resolution tests on the BMCC and it looks like that thing has pretty bad moire! But some of the color coming out of that thing is astoundingly beautiful, not sure if you've seen "Meet Me At Big Sur" but I was super impressed with it. Can't wait for the Production Cam in July!

Axilrod - Thanks. I agree - it was clear that the raw was a significant step up compared to the Canon firmware compressed output. The dynamic range is a beautiful thing. Once you shoot raw, you won't want to go back. Having said that, I'm very happy with the Film Log compressed footage out of the BMCC. The BMCC seemed to me to show moire in a lot that I saw. The resolution chart reflects that, too.

As you suggest, the proof is in the real life shooting, not just the charts. However, the resolution charts are the only way that I know of to hold the conditions equal to see a bit more clearly as to what is going on and, perhaps, how to address certain issues. The BMCC tests, for example, led me to use a color blur or NR on the chroma channel only as a regular part of my post workflow. This helps to make the BMCC footage quite silky - and make the most of both its color and resolution. I do hope someone makes a OLPF for it, though.

For the 5D raw, the moire/aliasing just isn't there in the first place. There is a bit of something weird going on at the highest frequencies, as seen at the bottom of the vertical lines at 900-1000 lines. My guess is that it the frequency hitting the bayer pattern just right. The problem is that it shows up at 100%, too. But, I haven't seen it much in the real world footage, so I'm not going to sweat it. The 5D resolution isn't quite as good as the BMCC appears to be. But, it is great and has me rethinking my pre-order of the BM Pocket camera.

If experience is any guide, you'll be waiting longer than July. It will be a painful wait. But, once you get it, you won't remember that pain at all!I look forward to seeing what you shoot with it.

Upvote 0
For those complaining about the Komputerbay memory cards: DO YOUR RESEARCH. It clearly states on the product info that the 128GB cards have slower write times than the 64GB cards. Don’t just blindly buy any card that says 1000X, that rating comes from the READ speed, not the WRITE speed. (as it has since I’ve been using CF cards on the original 5D)

I have a 64GB Komputerbay card, I was originally a skeptic but, it works just fine. I’ve already shot over 256GB of RAW video with zero issues. The 64GB card is the one to get right now. If you need more space just get a couple. If you need to do single clips longer than 64GB in size…you would probably be better served by the crappy on-board video.

Also, these cards seem to use the same chips as the Sandisk ones…so enjoy paying for brand names.

I’m editing together another video right now from a rock climbing trip in Idaho, will post here when I’m done! Here’s the one I made at Smith Rock a weekend ago:

https://vimeo.com/66866250

Upvote 0
LOALTD said:
For those complaining about the Komputerbay memory cards: DO YOUR RESEARCH. It clearly states on the product info that the 128GB cards have slower write times than the 64GB cards. Don’t just blindly buy any card that says 1000X, that rating comes from the READ speed, not the WRITE speed. (as it has since I’ve been using CF cards on the original 5D)

I have a 64GB Komputerbay card, I was originally a skeptic but, it works just fine. I’ve already shot over 256GB of RAW video with zero issues. The 64GB card is the one to get right now. If you need more space just get a couple. If you need to do single clips longer than 64GB in size…you would probably be better served by the crappy on-board video.

Also, these cards seem to use the same chips as the Sandisk ones…so enjoy paying for brand names.

The place where I ordered my KomputerBay 128GB advertised a "minimum 90MB/s write speed", which was not accurate and I am returning it today. No big deal. On a side note, James Miller shot part of his "Genesis" video using this card (shooting 1920x720).

I ordered a Transcend 1000x 128GB about 10 days ago. It just arrived. The fastest write time I could get was around 83MB/s. It's not useless, but it won't get 1920x1080. I'm returning it today. No big deal.

Fortunately, I have a Lexar 1000x 32GB and a Hoodman 1000x 64GB, which both write in the low 90s. Next up for me is a KomputerBay 1000x 64GB (probably sold out most places by now). And then I'll be on the prowl for a Toshiba.

Upvote 0
dirtcastle said:
LOALTD said:

The place where I ordered my KomputerBay advertised a "minimum 90MB/s write speed", which was not accurate and I am returning it today. No big deal. On a side note, James Miller shot part of his "Genesis" video using this card (shooting 1920 x 720).

I ordered a Transcend 1000x 128GB about 10 days ago. It just arrived. The fastest write time I could get was around 83MB/s. It's not useless, but it won't get 1920x1080. I'm returning it today. No big deal.

Fortunately, I have a Lexar 1000x 32GB and a Hoodman 1000x 64GB, which both write in the low 90s. Next up for me is a KomputerBay 1000x 64GB (probably sold out most places by now). And then I'll be on the prowl for a Toshiba.

Wow, that sucks! What site was it? Amazon lists the write speeds, thankfully, or I would've suffered the same fate! I almost pulled the trigger on the 128GB until I saw that.

I'm hoping fast cards come down in price soon, I have an 8-day climbing trip to Canada in two months and I'd like to be able to shoot more than 7 minutes of RAW video! lately I've been just lugging my laptop along and transferring to it as my one fast card fills up.

I keep shooting 1920x720 on accident, I wish the ML firmware would default to 1920x1080 instead of 1920x720...oh well, beggars can't be choosers!

There are definitely fast, bigger cards (Transcend) but I'm trying to save up for a new wide-angel prime so I'll hold out for now! (I'd feel like a chump paying over $300 for a freakin' memory card!)

Upvote 0

cayenne

CR Pro
Mar 28, 2012
LOALTD said:
dirtcastle said:
LOALTD said:

The place where I ordered my KomputerBay advertised a "minimum 90MB/s write speed", which was not accurate and I am returning it today. No big deal. On a side note, James Miller shot part of his "Genesis" video using this card (shooting 1920 x 720).

Wow, that sucks! What site was it? Amazon lists the write speeds, thankfully, or I would've suffered the same fate! I almost pulled the trigger on the 128GB until I saw that.

I'm hoping fast cards come down in price soon, I have an 8-day climbing trip to Canada in two months and I'd like to be able to shoot more than 7 minutes of RAW video! lately I've been just lugging my laptop along and transferring to it as my one fast card fills up.

I keep shooting 1920x720 on accident, I wish the ML firmware would default to 1920x1080 instead of 1920x720...oh well, beggars can't be choosers!

There are definitely fast, bigger cards (Transcend) but I'm trying to save up for a new wide-angel prime so I'll hold out for now! (I'd feel like a chump paying over $300 for a freakin' memory card!)

I thought you could get a bit less than 15 min on a 64GB card....?

C

Upvote 0
cayenne said:
LOALTD said:
dirtcastle said:
LOALTD said:

I thought you could get a bit less than 15 min on a 64GB card....?

C

I just did the math and I guess it's closer to 12 minutes(?), I guess I was just shooting from the hip. It's so involved to get video out of this that by the time I have editable video, I'm not longer concerned with how much I get out of it! I also usually shoot stills at the same time. I'm a stills photographer, I'm not at at all a videographer, I'm just someone that's curious about new things to tinker with, so my estimates are definitely off!

Upvote 0
LOALTD said:

It was on ebay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140878263839&ssPageName=ADME:L:OC:US:3160

The key is always to buy from someone that allows returns, even if you've opened and used it. B&H and Amazon would be my first choice. But lots of ebay sellers (some of which are big companies) have good return policies.

I'm cool with having to buy small, high-priced cards. For me, the time involved in the post-processing workflow is where I'm looking for alternatives/improvements. In time, there will surely be a one-shot tool that will convert RAW to a single edit-ready file. It will be a great day when that comes out. :)

I'm also coming from the stills arena. But this RAW video is amazing. I'm hooked. Game over. I even sold my fanciest stills lens to make room for more video gear.

Upvote 0
LOALTD said:
Here's my latest short/test with this firmware, I continue to be amazed:

https://vimeo.com/67288607

This was shot over a Memorial Day rock climbing trip to Idaho.

You've got some nice crispy footage in there!

I'm curious how you got the timelapse. What's the best way around the 4GB limit? I'm using an older build, has that been fixed? I've also had trouble using raw2dng.app to convert files over 4GB.

Did you drag each clip, one at a time, into raw2dng? Or do you have a batch process?

Any time-saving tricks you've found would be great to hear about.

Upvote 0
dirtcastle said:
LOALTD said:
Here's my latest short/test with this firmware, I continue to be amazed:

https://vimeo.com/67288607

This was shot over a Memorial Day rock climbing trip to Idaho.

You've got some nice crispy footage in there! I'm curious how you got the time-lapse. What's the best way around the 4GB limit? I'm using an older build, has that been fixed? I've also had trouble using raw2dng.app to convert files over 4GB.

Did you drag each clip, one at a time, into raw2dng? Or do you have a batch process?

Any time saving tricks you've found would be great to hear about.

Thanks dirtcastle! I forced myself to use a tripod more this time, for MAXIMUM crisp.

I think my workflow is earlier in this thread but, it's probably not the best way to do it...just how I do it coming from a stills background because it's WHAT I UNDERSTAND.

I'm still running an older build of Magic Lantern, I'm limited to 4GB clips, I'm pretty sure that has been fixed but I haven't got around to updating. Also, I'm not very good at video and the longer my takes are the longer they seem to suck! So the artificial limitation is kind of beneficial at the moment.

Timelapse: nothing fancy about this, didn't even use the ML firmware. THis is just a bunch of 22MP still shots overnight using the over-priced Canon intervolometer.

The newest raw2dng has tons of fixes, you can pretty much throw anything at it. It is MUCH IMPROVED. I actually *have* updated this, this was usually the most headache-prone part of my workflow. Now I just drag an entire folder in there and it cranks them all out while I go drink a beer/coffee!

Upvote 0
AAPhotog said:
Newer builds can shoot more than 4gb clips now.
for cards formatted in camera(file size limit of 4gb for those cards), it will automatically split the clip at 4gb
for cards formatted with EXT(probably completely wrong about the format name), it can record a single clip as big as your card

the newest builds of raw2dng can extract both.

Are you referring to exFAT? I didn't realize the 5d3 supported exFAT.

Upvote 0
Drizzt321 said:
AAPhotog said:
Newer builds can shoot more than 4gb clips now.
for cards formatted in camera(file size limit of 4gb for those cards), it will automatically split the clip at 4gb
for cards formatted with EXT(probably completely wrong about the format name), it can record a single clip as big as your card

the newest builds of raw2dng can extract both.

Are you referring to exFAT? I didn't realize the 5d3 supported exFAT.

The 5D3 does (although it won't format to that in cam). You need to format the cards on your computer to exFAT and then, with the later versions of ML, you can record over 4GB.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.