Search results

1. J

Canon closing Jamesburg, NJ Service Center

Oh bummer! I'm only 40 minutes from Jamesburg and have been dropping off my gear for repair for the past 15+ years. It was really nice to speak to someone in person also. They never charged me even with gear years out of warranty. Turn around time was 3 days and I'm not even a CPS member. I...
  2. J

EOS M5: A damnend good camera!

Re: EOS M5: A damend good camera! Many Thanks for the excellent review JoFT. Great to see Canon finally getting a handle on the mirrorless camera sector.
  3. J

How many batteries

I have ten batteries for my 6D/5D3. I might go through 3 during a wedding.
  4. J

Canon 85 1.8 vs. ?

Just to defend my Tamron 85mm f1.8 it's been stellar with auto-focusing. With both accuracy and consistency.
  5. J

LensTip tests the brand new Sigma 85mm f/1.4 Art - sharpest lens ever :-)

The AF is still in question with the Sigma's... Read the "REGARDING AF: NOTE FROM PYE": https://www.slrlounge.com/sigma-85mm-f1-4-art-review-the-beauty-of-this-beast/
  6. J

Can anyone help a flash neophyte? 430EXii + 430EXiii-RT

> Do I understand this correctly? Yes JPAZ! Yes the Strato is connected to camera's hotshoe and flash is on top of the Strato. I also have Canon's 430 EX II and 430 EX. Stratos work fine with them! The Stratos are around $105 for a transmitter and receiver. Usually when shooting wedding...
  7. J

Can anyone help a flash neophyte? 430EXii + 430EXiii-RT

You have a couple options... (I find optical communication with the older flashes unreliable) Buy another "xxx EXIII RT" flash so both flashes can communicate via wireless. Or buy a wireless trigger for your current setup. For the last 2-3 years have been using "Phottix Stratos II Multi...
  8. J

50mm vs 85mm on FF for portraits & group portraits?

Keep the 35mm and get the Tamron 85mm f1.8 IS... Focus is super accurate, consistent and sharp!
  9. J

Initial thoughts on the 5D4 after some use

Thanks Tiggy for the great info! Have you shot in the higher ISO range around 3200-6400? That's where I'm most of the time during wedding receptions and church interiors and curious how the high ISO noise is compared to the 5D3. At times I'm disappointed with the 5D3's focus performance.
  10. J

Tamron to Announce 150-600mm f/5-6.3 Di VC USD G2

If the Tamron 150-600mm focuses accurately and consistently as the Tamron's 85mm f1.8 I'm getting one! I've been nothing but super pleased with the 85mm shooting weddings. Sharp wide open and super-sharp stopped down at 2.8. I haven't had the need for Tamron's Tap adapter. Many thanks to you...
  11. J

How to Fix Weird Visual Behaviour With Your EOS 5D Mark IV & Third Party Lenses

Re: How to Fix Weird Visual Behaviour With Your EOS 5D Mark IV & Sigma Lenses No! This behavior exists with my 5D3 and Sigma EX 85mm f1.4 lens. I was one of the pioneers that discovered it a few years ago! Cough!
  12. J

5D IV and Servo

Fingers crossed for RED! It's a pain in the butt with black!
  13. J

Ended: Big Discounts on Canon EOS 6D & EOS 7D Mark II Printer Bundles

Re: Big Discounts on Canon EOS 6D & EOS 7D Mark II Printer Bundles I purchased the 6D body/printer bundle a few months ago. It's an excellent deal. The $350 rebate arrived one week after submitting it.
  14. J

More Specifications & Images of EOS 5D Mark IV

I would say the AF is very, very good... But I agree the 5D3's AF could definitely use an improvement.
  15. J

Shoot a wedding or two and you'll see tweaking the focus after the fact might save a few images. Even if a quarter inch it would be helpful. I'm using continuous focus via the back button and when necessary with the speedlight's infrared grid pattern. Shooting with 5D3 and 6D.
  16. J

Think of shooting a person hand-held wide open... subject is swaying a little and so is the photographer. Each probably move more than an eyelash length. I shoot weddings... I'd welcome the new option.
  17. J

Looks like the Nikon F3... one of my least favorite cameras as the film advance lever's travel was huge!
  18. J

Master of Photography - photo tv contest

Like most forum topics, this one is heading towards the crapper! :P
  19. J

Canon W-E1 Wifi Accessory to be $40USD

I'm not sure it's going to be SD or CF card like device. "Accessory" stands out in the announcement. Could be a hot sho or USB Accessory device.
  20. J

Stock Notice: Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT at B&H Photo

Re: Stock Notice: Canon Speedlite 600EX II-RT at B&H Photo The YN622C II has the AF assist feature... I just don't know if it works in AI Servo mode (that's what I'm in 100% via the back AF button) https://www.amazon.com/YONGNUO-Wireless-YN622C-II-High-speed/dp/B014EQAZXC/