580ex II or 600EX-RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

smirkypants

briansquibb said:
Are you running in the 433mhz band?
They are US PWs being used in Argentina and the US. It is the legal band in both, though I snuck them to Europe. 344 MHz. I am willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong but have had zero problems with 430s, so I just go with them. I knew the risks going in, but I wanted ETTL badly because I work outdoors with an assistant with a lightstick and don't have the time/skill to be constantly fine-tuning the aperture/shutter. I don't trust them outdoors at any kind of distance with a 580II, even though I'd love to attach a battery pack to recycle more quickly. From what I've read, it's an inherent problem with the system that can be minimized but not fixed but 14 months ago they were the best option. Probably the wrong thread and even the wrong board to discuss this, though.

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

smirkypants said:
briansquibb said:
Are you running in the 433mhz band?
They are US PWs being used in Argentina and the US. It is the legal band in both, though I snuck them to Europe. 344 MHz. I am willing to accept that I'm doing something wrong but have had zero problems with 430s, so I just go with them. I knew the risks going in, but I wanted ETTL badly because I work outdoors with an assistant with a lightstick and don't have the time/skill to be constantly fine-tuning the aperture/shutter. I don't trust them outdoors at any kind of distance with a 580II, even though I'd love to attach a battery pack to recycle more quickly. From what I've read, it's an inherent problem with the system that can be minimized but not fixed but 14 months ago they were the best option. Probably the wrong thread and even the wrong board to discuss this, though.

I take pictures at a max of about 75ft so probably will have no problem with any radio system. My remotes are 580EX not 580EX II which according to PW are less susceptible to the possible problem. Also the different band makes a difference.

I think that Canon redesigned the 580 with the PW experience in mind and labelled it the 600 rather than 580III as people would associate the 580 with the problems

Upvote 0
S

scottsdaleriots

would there be any benefit/logical/practical reason to buy a 580exii and a 600ex? i know it doesnt really make much sense, should prob just get the 580exii but i always want the latest and greatest. Isnt the 600ex better more superior, it being the flagship speedlite? e.g more power, faster recycle time, dont have to charge it as frequently(?), more features (i think, im waiting for a review), etc

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

scottsdaleriots said:
would there be any benefit/logical/practical reason to buy a 580exii and a 600ex? i know it doesnt really make much sense, should prob just get the 580exii but i always want the latest and greatest. Isnt the 600ex better more superior, it being the flagship speedlite? e.g more power, faster recycle time, dont have to charge it as frequently(?), more features (i think, im waiting for a review), etc

From the specifications the 600 doesn't seem to be very different from the 580 - usually for Canon this is the first time that the number doesn't relate directly to the power

It will be interesting to see a detailed review

Upvote 0
I started looking at $$$ again. I was thinking about selling off my 580ex II, but found I probably could only get $200 to $300 for it. So, I'll probably hang onto it for a while.

But, I think its fair for price comparisons to use ~$250 for the 580ex II + RF, vs $630 for the 600. Your not going to be able to buy used 600s in any quantity for months to years.

So if your not concerned with dollars, why not go with the 600s? If you are concerned with dollars, then the price of 580s equipment with RF is going to be in the $300 to $350 range. Perhaps less if many people do switch over and swamp the market. When you can buy 580s at half the price, its hard to ignore.

I'm still probably going to make future purchases of 600s, but I'm also hoping for an offical Canon RF adapter solution for older flashes.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

briansquibb said:
From the specifications the 600 doesn't seem to be very different from the 580 - usually for Canon this is the first time that the number doesn't relate directly to the power
I find that being able to zoom to 200mm interesting, and possibly quite useful in throwing narrower beams of light across a subject (without a snoot) and hit subjects better at a distance. But you're right, that's hardly a killer feature.

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
briansquibb said:

Well, the number is directly related to the guide number - the 580EX II has a guide number of 58 meters, and the 600EX-RT has a guide number of 60 meters. So, it's a modest increase in guide number (consider that the predecessor to the 580EX was the 550EX, and the predecessor to the 430EX was the 420EX).

The real problem is that guide numbers are not really indicative of flash power for heads with zoom capability, since the zoom setting changes the effective guide number.

Upvote 0
squarebox said:
Doesn't the new 1dx and 5dm3 have built wireless to activate off-shoe 600ex-rts? This would make the 600ex-rt a slightly better deal.

It would make it a much better deal. A lot of podcasts/posts were guessing that this was built it, but sadly no...I don't know why it isn't, or why they didn't offer a different type of box deal for camera + flash + half price (or free) controller.

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
squarebox said:
Doesn't the new 1dx and 5dm3 have built wireless to activate off-shoe 600ex-rts? This would make the 600ex-rt a slightly better deal.
Nope. The controller is $470. You're probably thinking that with the new flash only the EOS 5D Mark III and EOS-1D X offer flash configuration menus specific to the new model.

Ah i just rechecked my manual... you were right... allows flash configuration...

Upvote 0
after playing with the versitility of the odins i would go with odins and either 580ex flashes and save pile of money or look at yongnuo 565 with the odins

since the yongnuo 565 dont have high speed sync but have ettl and the odins let you shoot right out to 1/8000 anyway it makes it such a cheap setup

i dont have any yongnuo 565 flashes yet but i think i'll grab a few when i'm over in china in a few weeks and test them out with the odins.

i dont think the 600 rt can even get close to how versitle the odins are

Upvote 0
B

briansquibb

StanFoxworthy said:
The reason the cord is plugged back into the camera is so that you can trigger the shutter remotely as well, using the new system.

Maybe it's for the guys that like to have a setup behind a goal, etc.?

....or it was the answer to a question that nobody asked.

That was a very interesting answer ;D - is there more info on the remote trigger?

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

wickidwombat said:
since the yongnuo 565 dont have high speed sync but have ettl and the odins let you shoot right out to 1/8000 anyway it makes it such a cheap setup
Wombat... One of the features that intrigues me about the Odins is the ability to mix ETTL and non ETTL groups. So, say you want to expose a subject properly and use and adjust ratios for that, but say you want to use another group to blow out a background. You can use two or three Canons to set up the light on the subject but use a couple of cheapies set to full manual to blow out the wall. If you just need a little added extra simple lighting, you can use a $70 dumb flash in conjunction with the rest of your setup. Brilliant.

Upvote 0
briansquibb said:
StanFoxworthy said:
The reason the cord is plugged back into the camera is so that you can trigger the shutter remotely as well, using the new system.

That was a very interesting answer ;D - is there more info on the remote trigger?

I am still waiting for demo units from CPS, but from what (little) I know, you can use the SR-N3 remote cord for triggering, possibly with the ST-E3 RT. I'll be happy to pass along any info once the toys show up. Looks like there has been some delays on getting enough demo units in stock at CPS, and it may even be Q3 before we get to test out the 1Dx..... :'( At least my existing gear still works!

Upvote 0
StanFoxworthy said:

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. But, how do you know this? Have you got a juicy source (or manual) your not sharing? ;)

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
CanineCandidsByL said:
Have you got a juicy source (or manual) your not sharing?

The 600EX manual is available for download, there's a link in another thread specifically about the manual. I read through it this morning, since I ordered the 600EX-RT from Amazon last night (they have it in stock now).

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.