580ex II or 600EX-RT

Status
Not open for further replies.
smirkypants said:
wickidwombat said:
since the yongnuo 565 dont have high speed sync but have ettl and the odins let you shoot right out to 1/8000 anyway it makes it such a cheap setup
Wombat... One of the features that intrigues me about the Odins is the ability to mix ETTL and non ETTL groups. So, say you want to expose a subject properly and use and adjust ratios for that, but say you want to use another group to blow out a background. You can use two or three Canons to set up the light on the subject but use a couple of cheapies set to full manual to blow out the wall. If you just need a little added extra simple lighting, you can use a $70 dumb flash in conjunction with the rest of your setup. Brilliant.
exactly! just grab a pile of cheap yongnuo flashes for dumb lighting still need odin recievers at $200 a pop though but you can get 3 flashes and recievers for what a 600 costs...

Upvote 0
C

chrysek

I had 580 flash and I loved it, but today I received 600ex-rt and I love it... I will not use the radio remote for sure as I cant justify spending that for the transmitter, but the lamp is amazing... wow, I seriously love it... there in manual it says that they have 600ex only without transmitter, I will probably get it... I seriously love that new lamp :)))))

Upvote 0
C

chrysek

neuroanatomist said:
chrysek said:
there in manual it says that they have 600ex only without transmitter, I will probably get it...

It's only available in certain countries. The UK, for example, but not the US. Still, I'm sure they'll show up on eBay after a while...

Eventually they will make to US, because certainly this flash is build to last :) I just love how it works, the sound of it charging is even different from what I used to :)

Upvote 0
While I don't count on Canon to provide more features via a firmware update, does anyone think the 600EX-RT could operate RF & optical at the same time?

Assuming they would need to broadcast at the same time, there might be a power issue, but more importantly the flash might put off considerable RF interference. PocketWizard is clearly familiar with that problem.

Upvote 0
C

chrysek

CanineCandidsByL said:
While I don't count on Canon to provide more features via a firmware update, does anyone think the 600EX-RT could operate RF & optical at the same time?

Assuming they would need to broadcast at the same time, there might be a power issue, but more importantly the flash might put off considerable RF interference. PocketWizard is clearly familiar with that problem.

In the manual it says that it would not operate on both, its one or the other :(

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
chrysek said:
I wonder if somehow those triggers could trigger studio strobes?

If Canon release a RF receiver for their non-RF flashes to work with the ST-E3/600EX-RT system, then possibly that could be used to trigger a studio strobe via PC sync cable. But until then, that's the main reason I'm sticking with PWs - the ability to trigger both Speedlites (via FlexTT5s) and a PCB Einstein (via PowerMC2).

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

neuroanatomist said:
If Canon release a RF receiver for their non-RF flashes to work with the ST-E3/600EX-RT system, then possibly that could be used to trigger a studio strobe via PC sync cable. But until then, that's the main reason I'm sticking with PWs - the ability to trigger both Speedlites (via FlexTT5s) and a PCB Einstein (via PowerMC2).
You gotta think that in shops all over China they are ripping apart 600s to see how they tick. Someone is going to make a Canon compatible receiver, I think it is pretty much inevitable. The potential market is huge.

Upvote 0
chrysek said:
Would be nice, but unfortunately I do not think so. I wonder if somehow those triggers could trigger studio strobes? Or do we still need to have pocket wizards or other devices. Can canon triggering system replace it? It would make sense so people would not need to have both, as canon solution is quite expensive proposition.

1+

Upvote 0
smirkypants said:
neuroanatomist said:
You gotta think that in shops all over China they are ripping apart 600s to see how they tick. Someone is going to make a Canon compatible receiver, I think it is pretty much inevitable. The potential market is huge.

Yes I'm thinking the same about China shops. I am sure they realize how wanted a tool like that would be and the amount of $$$$ is there to be made if they do develop something to fire studio strobes with the new Canon transmitter, especially if Canon doesnt bring out their own.

Upvote 0
On using legacy flashes with the 600, check out Syl Arena who found a workaround. Since we're using wireless, you can use a cheap optical trigger to get your 580's to play with the 600. I'm debating whether to sell the 580EXII and 480 to fund a fourth 600, or just do this option.

If you have the money, I highly recommend the 600. Simple, clean, easy system, I'm really liking it.

Upvote 0
neuroanatomist said:
chrysek said:
I wonder if somehow those triggers could trigger studio strobes?

I will one up you there... my PW fires my strobes, as does my light meter. Most days all I need is my MiniTT and then a Flex for the occasional times I use a speedlight

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

So I was thinking about something. Yesterday I was shooting a team and was using on-camera flash for a bit of fill. I hate using the flash on-camera and generally dial the flash exposure compensation way down just to make sure the faces aren't dark. In the past I've experimented with a couple of flexes and hand-holding the flash to the side, but there was just too much hassle rigging it up, plus the bulk.

But you know, if you have two 600s, it suddenly becomes much less complicated, I think. If you've got one 600 on camera and have a spare, you can just power on the second and change the mode of the one on-camera, and you're in business in seconds with no extra gadgets to fool around with. A flash at arm's length give better results than one right above the lens.

Hmmm.....

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
smirkypants said:
In the past I've experimented with a couple of flexes and hand-holding the flash to the side, but there was just too much hassle rigging it up, plus the bulk.

But you know, if you have two 600s, it suddenly becomes much less complicated, I think. If you've got one 600 on camera and have a spare, you can just power on the second and change the mode of the one on-camera, and you're in business in seconds with no extra gadgets to fool around with. A flash at arm's length give better results than one right above the lens.

Sounds like you're over-thinking it. :p To hold a flash at arms-length for some off-axis fill, I just connect with an OC-E3 (and many times, I use a flash bracket for that), no mucking about with RF triggers.

Upvote 0
S

smirkypants

neuroanatomist said:
Sounds like you're over-thinking it. :p To hold a flash at arms-length for some off-axis fill, I just connect with an OC-E3 (and many times, I use a flash bracket for that), no mucking about with RF triggers.
It's not quite the same. With the cable you have to remove the flash head from camera, put it into the hot shoe. Plus, I don't know why, but I just hate messing with cables and a flash bracket just isn't going to happen.

I also like the idea of whipping out out of my pocket and setting it on a table with like zero fuss. I'm all about elimanating fuss. I barely have the attention span of a gerbil.

Upvote 0
I'm selling my 580 II's and my PW TT1/TT5's only because I want to reduce the amount I carry to weddings and save on setting up time.

I'm paying a lot for the swap. Unless you really need the 600's I wouldn't touch them. Another nice thing with the TT5/TT1 combo is the trigger anything that can connect to it (light wise such as studio lights).

Upvote 0
Jul 21, 2010
If Canon comes out with an RF receiver with a PC sync connector that I can use to fire a monolight, I'd consider it.

But...people have mentioned preferring to control the groups using the flash display rather than 'digging into the camera menus' - personally, it's hard to image anything easier that spinning the little wheels on the PW AC3 to adjust the relative output of the flashes...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.