5D3 replacement: With or without AA filter?

Maximilian

The dark side - I've been there
CR Pro
Nov 7, 2013
Germany
dolina said:
I am curious, will the next 5D include or exclude an AA filter like what Nikon did?

Assuming of course that the MP are sufficiently high enough like that of the Nikon D810 or D8100E
Your assumption will directly lead to the answer to your question:
As the 5DS/DS R is Canons answer to to the D810 (there is no 810E, there only was an 800E) you already have the choice.
The 5D3 successor will have significantly less MP (rumored 24 to 28 MP) and will offer video functionality again (either with or without 4K) so an AA filter will definitively be included.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
There are two parts to a AA filter. The physical part, and the electronic part. With more powerful processors, its possible to add more AA filtering in the processing stream digitally, and reduce or eliminate the physical part.

I'd say its a 50-50 chance of going away. I sometimes get nasty moire with my 5D MK III, even with a AA filter.

Upvote 0
Maximilian said:
The 5D3 successor will have significantly less MP (rumored 24 to 28 MP)

We can all guess here. A lot speaks for next 5Dx camera to have 30 MPIX+ as Canon has previously said they underestimated their customers wish for more MPIX. And such a camera can easily do more fps, carry improved AF and have superior high iso compared to the 5DIII. My hope is 32 MPIX. We will see.

Maximilian said:
and will offer video functionality again (either with or without 4K) so an AA filter will definitively be included.

However, I still agree that AA filter is almost certain due to video.

(BTW - so far almost all 5DS R owners agree that moire is virtually a non-problem)

Upvote 0
Mt Spokane Photography said:
There are two parts to a AA filter. The physical part, and the electronic part. With more powerful processors, its possible to add more AA filtering in the processing stream digitally, and reduce or eliminate the physical part.

I'd say its a 50-50 chance of going away. I sometimes get nasty moire with my 5D MK III, even with a AA filter.

How do you remove moire in a processor? (I've spent way too much time killing off aliasing products in radios, you can't do it after the ADC there, so I'm curious)

Upvote 0
Aug 27, 2015
Maximilian said:
YellowJersey said:
... If the 5Dsr drastically outsold the 5Ds, then perhaps ...
If you take a look at how the price drops evolved after release (5 DS dropping earlier) i suppose there is/was a significant gap between the sales numbers.
Or just a significant gap between the projected and real sales numbers. Likely more 5DSR sold than expected/ produced compared to 5DS, but that does not necessarily mean that the 5DSR outsold the 5DS.

Upvote 0
Mar 25, 2011
tron said:
How about a week AA filter? So as to try to combine the best (or worst?) of both worlds!

I believe that they do try to balance the various factors. An AA filter does not stand alone, you must balance various different factors to get the best result.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anti-aliasing_filter

Upvote 0