A New 50mm Lens is Being Tested in the Wild [CR2]

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
snoke said:
ahsanford said:
But of course, I'd love the fancy non-L: New optical design, Ring USM, internal focusing, IS, double gauss / not huge, etc. Canon would ask $799-ish for that based on the 24/28/35 IS lenses, though I recognize that's a mint for a non-L / non-DO product currently sitting at a $329 price point. So I'm not confident that the lens I want is going to happen. We'll see.

- A

What you want: L-lens but not L-price. Good wish.

I know. I'm totally nuts.

A price point between $300 relic and a $1300 professional instrument? What was I thinking? ::)

- A

Attachments

• Canon-EF-35mm-IS-Lens-with-24mm-and-28mm-Lenses.jpg
    Canon-EF-35mm-IS-Lens-with-24mm-and-28mm-Lenses.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 490
Upvote 0

stevelee

FT-QL
CR Pro
Jul 6, 2017
Davidson, NC
Canoneer said:
I'd like to see a new incarnation of the 50mm F/1L. Probably an absurd wish - the level of optical corrections, exotic flint/crown glass, and multi coatings needed for a usable F/1 aperture at 50mm would make the thing cost a fortune.

I’m curious as to the appeal of an f/1. Bragging rights? Tiny depth of field? ISO 100 vs. ISO 120?

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
stevelee said:
Canoneer said:
I'd like to see a new incarnation of the 50mm F/1L. Probably an absurd wish - the level of optical corrections, exotic flint/crown glass, and multi coatings needed for a usable F/1 aperture at 50mm would make the thing cost a fortune.

I’m curious as to the appeal of an f/1. Bragging rights? Tiny depth of field? ISO 100 vs. ISO 120?

I can’t think of a single useful reason. I remember way back when, when I think it was Kubrick used a 0.7 lens for a candle lit scene in a movie whose name I can’t remember right now. But those days are long gone.

Truly, it’s almost impossible to focus those really fast lenses, even with direct off the sensor focus. And then, everything needs to be on a tripod anyway, where you can use slower shutter speeds.

Sometimes, what was cutting edge, because of the limitations of technology, becomes completely obsolete as the technology dies out.

With digital now having vastly better high speed IQ than film ever had, super speed lenses are no longer needed. The tiny shrinkage in focus depth is hardly noticeable

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
sulla said:
ahsanford said:
I'm honestly considering just buying a 50L
I feel a great disturbance in the Force

It's been this way for a while, if I'm honest. Hear me out.

When I stare at it long enough, the real mustmustmust priority for me is fast / accurate / consistent AF at wide apertures and perhaps right behind that is 'not too long to fit in a smaller bag'. I care about sharpness, sure, but not nearly enough to buy the Tamron or Sigma and risk whiffing on the AF and missing a great moment. So that throws out all third parties. Done.

50 f/1.8 STM = AF is too slow and I prefer more solidly constructed gear. No.

So the decision to buy now or wait is all about what a 50L would offer me above the 50 f/1.4 USM I use today.

Upsides of the 50L to the 50 f/1.4: A lot. Faster AF, AF doesn't hunt like the f/1.4 does, f/max to f/2 shooting generates much more usable output, way better construction, better bokeh, better color, sealed, etc.

About the same as the 50 f/1.4: Off-center large aperture AF is inconsistent -- it randomly whiffs on two different 50L rentals I've had on my 5D3, even with ruthlessly controlled technique.

Downsides of the 50L to the 50 f/1.4: Heavier (naturally), I'll need to get 72mm filters (small detail of course), pretty sure the f/1.4 is sharper once I stop down past f/2.8 or so (which I do fairly often)

My take is that if I get it, it will clearly be an optical upgrade for wider aperture work and the AF will be quicker, but I'll have paid $900-1000 (refurb) for a lens I still can't trust to nail the AF on the first try. That's a hard sell, especially after renting the 85 f/1.4L IS over Christmas and being amazed/liberated by the coexistence of a perfect AF setup with wide aperture shooting. That's one thing the 50L will never give me.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
melgross said:
I can’t think of a single useful reason. I remember way back when, when I think it was Kubrick used a 0.7 lens for a candle lit scene in a movie whose name I can’t remember right now. But those days are long gone.

It was Barry Lyndon. The Kubrick exhibit at LACMA had that NASA lens and many others there (as Kubrick loved stills shooting). That dude was obsessed with shooting only under candle illumination.

- A

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
fullstop said:
ahsanford said:
50 f/1.8 STM = AF is too slow ...
sorry, really curious as to what you are shooting with a fast 50mm lens wide open that needs faster AF than the 50/1.8 STM has?

All I shoot are stills + my family never stops moving = USM or bust. It's 2018 and wanting AF technology Canon nailed a good 25+ years ago is not an exotic ask.

I appreciate that some STM lenses are quicker than others, but the nifty fifty is not one of them.

- A

Upvote 0
Nov 2, 2016
ahsanford said:
melgross said:

It was Barry Lyndon. The Kubrick exhibit at LACMA had that NASA lens and many others there (as Kubrick loved stills shooting). That dude was obsessed with shooting only under candle illumination.

- A

Yeah, knew the film, but couldn’t remember the name. It was a really big deal at the time. Every photo mag had articles about it.

Upvote 0

Sporgon

5% of gear used 95% of the time
CR Pro
Nov 11, 2012
Yorkshire, England
ahsanford said:
sulla said:
ahsanford said:
I'm honestly considering just buying a 50L
I feel a great disturbance in the Force

It's been this way for a while, if I'm honest. Hear me out.

When I stare at it long enough, the real mustmustmust priority for me is fast / accurate / consistent AF at wide apertures and perhaps right behind that is 'not too long to fit in a smaller bag'. I care about sharpness, sure, but not nearly enough to buy the Tamron or Sigma and risk whiffing on the AF and missing a great moment. So that throws out all third parties. Done.

50 f/1.8 STM = AF is too slow and I prefer more solidly constructed gear. No.

So the decision to buy now or wait is all about what a 50L would offer me above the 50 f/1.4 USM I use today.

Upsides of the 50L to the 50 f/1.4: A lot. Faster AF, AF doesn't hunt like the f/1.4 does, f/max to f/2 shooting generates much more usable output, way better construction, better bokeh, better color, sealed, etc.

About the same as the 50 f/1.4: Off-center large aperture AF is inconsistent -- it randomly whiffs on two different 50L rentals I've had on my 5D3, even with ruthlessly controlled technique.

Downsides of the 50L to the 50 f/1.4: Heavier (naturally), I'll need to get 72mm filters (small detail of course), pretty sure the f/1.4 is sharper once I stop down past f/2.8 or so (which I do fairly often)

My take is that if I get it, it will clearly be an optical upgrade for wider aperture work and the AF will be quicker, but I'll have paid $900-1000 (refurb) for a lens I still can't trust to nail the AF on the first try. That's a hard sell, especially after renting the 85 f/1.4L IS over Christmas and being amazed/liberated by the coexistence of a perfect AF setup with wide aperture shooting. That's one thing the 50L will never give me.

- A

I'm not sure the 50/1.2 is going to suit you. At 'wide apertures', so 1.2 - 2 ? The lens has a fair bit of spherical aberrations ( focus shift) that is most noticeable when shooting in the f/1.6 - f/2 range, the penalty of focusing at f/1.2 with this design and uncorrected. I've always wondered why Canon don't program their cameras to stop down when focusing this particular lens at wide apertures. The other, rather unsatisfactory solution is to focus manually in live view, and stop down at the same time. ( Thanks Canon for finally putting the stop down button in an accessible position for doing this !). Anyway it sounds like you've already tried the 50/1.2, but it's an issue that can be frustrating if you are habitually in the f/1.8 area.

Incidentally the AF on the Tamron 45 is as accurate and consistent as any Canon lens I've had around that focal length, in fact now I've tuned it in the three positions using the Tap-in console ( mine is 0 close, 0 mid focus range and -4 at infinity) it is significantly better than any Canon 50 I've had. At f/1.8 wide open it is also much better than the Canon 50s at the same aperture, and there's no focus shift because it's f/1.8.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
slclick said:
I seriously can't believe you're considering the FBW 50 ahsanford. Please, with all your demands, requests and considerations for first and second choices you have espoused over the YEARS, that you'd cave for this one. Hold out, it'll happen (It'll also be a pickle jar) bwahahahahahahaha

What are you talking about? The 50 f/1.2L is not FBW.

- A

Upvote 0
Apr 23, 2018
ahsanford said:
The 50 f/1.2L is not FBW.

correct.

Both the 85 f/1.2 and the 50 f/1.2L fall short of Canon's top AF performers. Though not terribly slow, the 50 f/1.2 uses a front-focusing design that extends/retracts the front lens elements inside the lens barrel. Moving this large amount of glass yields an AF speed is not on par with Canon's ultra-fast rear-focusing lenses. This Ring USM implementation is very accurate (including in AI Servo mode) and is quiet - making a "shhhhh" sound - and FTM (Full Time Manual) focusing is enabled. The focus ring is smooth, slightly stiff and very well damped. This is a mechanical manual focusing lens - unlike the 85 f/1.2's focus-by-wire design

https://www.the-digital-picture.com/Reviews/Canon-EF-50mm-f-1.2-L-USM-Lens-Review.aspx

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
That said, I would use a Nano USM. That's FBW I would stomach -- the testing I've seen says that it is blindingly quick in some cases:

https://www.lenstip.com/503.10-Lens_review-Canon_EF_70-300_mm_f_4-5.6_IS_II_USM_Autofocus.html

"What’s more the autofocus performance is sensationally fast. Running through the whole distance scale and confirming the focus at the shorter end of the focal lengths spectrum takes 0.1-0.2 of a second; for the longer focal lengths the process is by 0.1-0.2 of a second longer.

To be honest I am a bit surprised that, for the first time, such technology appears in completely amateur constructions. The working culture of the autofocus, its noiselessness, 100% accuracy, and superior speed put to shame even some professional lenses. A round of applause for Canon!"

- A

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Art Director, Visual Artist, Freelance Photography
Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
I'm not sure I'd be a taker because im totally happy with my 50 1.4. It's just been a champ for years.

That said, i'd love for canon to show us the money so i'd have a solid step up option that wont have potential focus issues....and not like that greatly reviewed by generally disappointing 32 IS.

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ashmadux said:
I'm not sure I'd be a taker because im totally happy with my 50 1.4. It's just been a champ for years.

That said, i'd love for canon to show us the money so i'd have a solid step up option that wont have potential focus issues....and not like that greatly reviewed by generally disappointing 32 IS.

32 IS? I don't think that's a thing.

- A

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
ahsanford said:
ashmadux said:

- A

35 f2IS?

Or is it...SOMETHING ELSE....BWAHAAHHA ;D :-[ :-[ :-\ :-\ :'( :'( :'(

#run

Upvote 0

ahsanford

Particular Member
Aug 16, 2012
ashmadux said:
ahsanford said:
35 f2IS?

You could very well be the first person I've encountered online who doesn't love that thing.

I'll go so far as to state that lens is my reference grade 'premium non-L' Canon prime: one stop slower than the L, 90% as sharp, best AF tech, IS, solid construction in a reasonably small and light package. I absolutely love it. If Canon had a line of such lenses that included 20, 50, 85, etc. I'd probably have 1000 fewer posts here.

I'm (sincerely) curious what you find disappointing about it.

- A

Upvote 0

ashmadux

Jul 28, 2011
New Yawk
photography.ashworld.com
ahsanford said:
ashmadux said:
ahsanford said:
35 f2IS?

You could very well be the first person I've encountered online who doesn't love that thing.

I'll go so far as to state that lens is my reference grade 'premium non-L' Canon prime: one stop slower than the L, 90% as sharp, best AF tech, IS, solid construction in a reasonably small and light package. I absolutely love it. If Canon had a line of such lenses that included 20, 50, 85, etc. I'd probably have 1000 fewer posts here.

I'm (sincerely) curious what you find disappointing about it.

- A

I won't get too far into the woods, but generally:

• sharpness wide open is not that great
• bokeh quality is weak. Rakish, especially when used around trees
• doesn't not render as well as the 50 1.4 at all. lacks character
• Can exhibit unfixable ghosting. Canon was able to adjust , but happens occastionally

Let state for the record is that I'm not saying it's "bad". But when comparing with my 50, 24-105, or 70-200, which always create niiiiice images - the 35 was like..."oh, that's it...ah well".

PS- bought it primarily for backstage fashion shows where the 50 was too tight.

Upvote 0